Asus RT-N66U not connecting to the Internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Zookz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:02    Post subject: Asus RT-N66U not connecting to the Internet Reply with quote
Hi.
My old Netgear router with dd-wrt fw on it connects to the Internet with no problems.

On the new ASUS RT-N66U router with the original ASUS fw, it was able to connect up to the Internet with no problems.

I finally got the dd-wrt fw installed after MANY attempts. I could ONLY install the fw using the tftp command.

I used dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U.trx, and then dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_big_RT-N66U.trx. Everything works fine, except the Internet of which there is none.

I upgraded the fw to dd-wrt.v24-22118_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx. Again, everything works but the Internet.

I cleared the nvram by pressing the WPS button on power up.

Local IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server enabled

MAC address cloning not required, but I did try it.

My modem (ISP) is not PPPoE, just plug in the network cable and go. I have unplugged the modem for a minute and pluged it back in, with the router off. I then plugged in the router.

Help please. What can I do to get this router working with dd-wrt? Thanks
Sponsor
outrage_uk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you update the Bootloader to 64K - v1.0.1.3 CFE before flashing DD-WRT?

You really should have followed this guide:

http://charleswilkinson.co.uk/2012/12/22/dd-wrt-on-the-asus-rt-n66u-with-64k-cfe/
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I assume you have a dhcp wan connection..

clear the gateway field. It is not needed for a dhcp wan connection.

you are telling the router that it's gateway is itself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, are you using a cable provider like Charter for your internet?
I ask because I use Charter.
Charter has an anti-dhcp request mac filter in their network.
Too many requests in a certain time frame will cause them to block/black list your device.
This topic has been discussed in the smallnetbuilder forums. The stock and asusmerlin firmwares have a setting for aggressive dhcp on the wan just because this issue.
To see if this is impacting you, you have to power down your router & modem for 10 minutes (clears the block on charter), then power back up & see if you get internet again.
Good luck
Zookz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:08    Post subject: Still needing help Reply with quote
I cleared the default gateway settings.

I know that it is not an ISP thing as my old router works fine, and talking with my ISP, they gave no indication of anything on their end to cause me problems (with this).

I got the tomato fw on the router. I finally got the original cfe.bin file copied, I think. Now I'm trying to get it off of my router.

A problem that I'm having is that everything is written providing that you know Linux. If I didn't rely on Winders as much as I need to, I'd be into Linux myself. However, having limited experience with Linux, this is a bigger pain in the backside than it already is.

Just to make sure that I did it correct, to copy the file, I used "dd if=/dev/mtd/0 of=/tmp/cfe.bin". Is this correct?

How do I use the scp command to copy a file from the router to a winders computer???? Or how do I get the file off of the router onto something else, like a USB drive?

When I get this all working, I'll write a post for winders noobs like myself, if I can remember what I did and used.

Thanks.
outrage_uk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a heads up - I too have an Asus RT-N66U running DD-WRT.

I was having problems accessing the internet also (a problem not relating to yours).

However, I had been changing the WAN connection type around for over an hour (I couldn't get a PPPoE bridge working to my 'modem'), but then when I changed it back to Automatic Configuration - DHCP, it still wouldn't connect, even though it was working like this before and it had assigned me a WAN address. No other settings had changed but it still wouldn't connect.

I did a 30-30-30 reset to clear the NVRAM (remember its the WPS button!) and as soon as it rebooted - WAN worked fine again!

Maybe a bug? And abit of a pain manually restoring all the settings again, but least it's back up and running. Smile
Zookz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 23:55    Post subject: What am I missing? Reply with quote
I'm trying to copy the cfe_n66u.tgz file from my Windows computer with an SSD (C:\Asus\) to my router, without any luck. I'm using the Run command on the router to do this. I'm entering: scp username@192.168.1.23:/dev/sda1/Asus/cfe_n66u.tgz . (including the final period.)

This appears to work but nothing shows up to say the results. When I try to tar the file (tar -xzf cfe_n66u.tgz), I get a message stating that there is no such file or directory.

If I try the above scp command without the final period, I'm getting a usage error message.

What am I missing?

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: