Asus RT-N12 now supported

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Denethor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
calvinccli wrote:
ok, i have the firmware updated with this router and set it as client bridge. But it is not stable. It is up for a while, then it will stop working. I will not be able to reach the browser page to see the status, and have to unplug and replug the router again for it to work..

I don't have this issue with other client bridge that i setup using DD-WRT with netgear or linksys router.

Anyone have this issue ?

You're not alone. I'm having exactly the same problem with the same setup. The new Asus N12 just won't stay working.

I don't have any solution, but I do have some additional info. When it needs power-cycled, it is still visible and accessible to anything connected directly to any of the LAN ports. It seems it's only the wireless link that's stopping. Even when the connection isn't working, though, the wireless status page (only reachable via LAN ports) still shows the wireless as being connected. Rebooting the router via software doesn't seem (I don't think) to resolve ths issue; the power to the unit must be disconnected and reconnected.

I have an old Belkin F5D7230-4 which is working flawlessly as a DD-WRT client bridge connecting to the same wireless router (TrendNet TEW-633GR).

I hope someone can help... Sad
Sponsor
though
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
what is the wireless TX power set at for you guys? also, are you using any encryption?

Denethor wrote:
calvinccli wrote:
ok, i have the firmware updated with this router and set it as client bridge. But it is not stable. It is up for a while, then it will stop working. I will not be able to reach the browser page to see the status, and have to unplug and replug the router again for it to work..

I don't have this issue with other client bridge that i setup using DD-WRT with netgear or linksys router.

Anyone have this issue ?

You're not alone. I'm having exactly the same problem with the same setup. The new Asus N12 just won't stay working.

I don't have any solution, but I do have some additional info. When it needs power-cycled, it is still visible and accessible to anything connected directly to any of the LAN ports. It seems it's only the wireless link that's stopping. Even when the connection isn't working, though, the wireless status page (only reachable via LAN ports) still shows the wireless as being connected. Rebooting the router via software doesn't seem (I don't think) to resolve ths issue; the power to the unit must be disconnected and reconnected.

I have an old Belkin F5D7230-4 which is working flawlessly as a DD-WRT client bridge connecting to the same wireless router (TrendNet TEW-633GR).

I hope someone can help... Sad
Denethor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
though wrote:
do you have the wireless power cranked up? that could be overworking/overheating it.....

I can't speak for calvinccli, but I didn't change the wireless power setting at all on mine. Everything is set to the defaults except those settings needed to have it work in Client Bridge mode.
Denethor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
though wrote:
what is the wireless TX power set at for you guys? also, are you using any encryption?

According to the Advanced Wireless page, my TX Power is set to the default 71. Is that setting hardware specific or DD-WRT specific? I guess what I'm asking is whether DD-WRT always defaults to 71 regardless of the hardware or whether that default value is different from one piece of hardware to the next?

I'm using WPA for the encryption. I think I read somewhere that WPA2 can cause problems?? The Belkin has been up for 11 days now using WPA2 with no problems whatsoever.

Last edited by Denethor on Thu Dec 24, 2009 17:53; edited 1 time in total
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure 71mw is dd-wrt's defaults.. and WPA2+AES is the recommended encryption
Denethor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
I'm pretty sure 71mw is dd-wrt's defaults.. and WPA2+AES is the recommended encryption

Hmm.. so is it possible that DD-WRT's default of 71mW might be higher than what Asus intended to be the normal operating level for the N12?
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
The devs knows the radio and knows its capabilities so I wouldn't worry about that... that's the good thing of having a 3rd party firmware like dd-wrt!
though
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
i WOULD worry about it. this router has JUST become supported, so please change the wireless power to 20 and apply the settings. check the stability and keep me and others updated.

with a bridge setup, you won't have any problems with WPA2 AES with dd-wrt, but you can very well run into problems with a WDS system & wireless bridge clients with WPA2 AES....

fggs wrote:
The devs knows the radio and knows his capabilities so I wouldn't worry about that... that's the good thing of having a 3rd party firmware like dd-wrt!
Denethor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
though wrote:
i WOULD worry about it. this router has JUST become supported, so please change the wireless power to 20 and apply the settings. check the stability and keep me and others updated.

with a bridge setup, you won't have any problems with WPA2 AES with dd-wrt, but you can very well run into problems with a WDS system & wireless bridge clients with WPA2 AES....

First thanks to everyone for their efforts/comments/suggestions.

I've set the power down to 20mW and will see what happens. Would be nice if that would solve the problem. This will be a bit off-topic, but should I set the power down on my other DD-WRS routers/access points/bridges as well?

I've also set the encryption back to WPA2. I originally had it at that, but changed it when the wireless connection kept dying (obviously didn't help any).
though
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
if the other units are stable where they're at, don't change them. just change the new N12 to 20 and give it a try. please, please come back and let us know often how it's doing.... also make sure it is well ventilated so it doesn't get overheated....

Denethor wrote:
though wrote:

First thanks to everyone for their efforts/comments/suggestions.

I've set the power down to 20mW and will see what happens. Would be nice if that would solve the problem. This will be a bit off-topic, but should I set the power down on my other DD-WRS routers/access points/bridges as well?

I've also set the encryption back to WPA2. I originally had it at that, but changed it when the wireless connection kept dying (obviously didn't help any).
Denethor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
It didn't work. I'm not sure exactly how long it worked before flaking out because I wasn't watching it closely, but it was no more than 20 minutes.

It is still accesible via its local LAN ports, though, so it's not like it's crashed completely. It even appears to think the wireless connection is still active (according to its status pages). There just doesn't seem to be any wireless data being transmitted or received.

I'm not sure whether this is important, but I don't think it has ever stopped working while I was actually working in the admin or using the connection. I think it is only when I leave it alone that it stops working. Coincidence?

though wrote:
if the other units are stable where they're at, don't change them. just change the new N12 to 20 and give it a try. please, please come back and let us know often how it's doing.... also make sure it is well ventilated so it doesn't get overheated....
though
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
damn.

register and open a new ticket:

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/timeline

Denethor wrote:
It didn't work. I'm not sure exactly how long it worked before flaking out because I wasn't watching it closely, but it was no more than 20 minutes.

It is still accesible via its local LAN ports, though, so it's not like it's crashed completely. It even appears to think the wireless connection is still active (according to its status pages). There just doesn't seem to be any wireless data being transmitted or received.

I'm not sure whether this is important, but I don't think it has ever stopped working while I was actually working in the admin or using the connection. I think it is only when I leave it alone that it stops working. Coincidence?

though wrote:
deboyz1014
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have everything at default on dd-wrt and didn't encounter any issue. Have you guys tried the 30-30-30 reset?
calvinccli
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I set it to 20mw and it didn't work too. The router just worked for a while, then stopped working.
kozarrat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
calvinccli wrote:
I set it to 20mw and it didn't work too. The router just worked for a while, then stopped working.

same here. Every few minutes the SSID disappears for a minute or so, then comes back.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 38, 39, 40  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 40
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: