RADIUS accounting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
TheRealBanana
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 15:02    Post subject: RADIUS accounting Reply with quote
Hello

I am currently trying to set up a wireless network for a friend's business and am trying to be completely open-source about it. We've got the latest kong release from November 11th running on six RT-AC66U's. So far we've got our RADIUS server up and running and everything is running smoothly as far as authentication goes.

We have now run into a problem however when we started to set up tracking of individuals data usage and IP addresses. We discovered no accounting packets were being sent by DD-WRT and since I didn't have a place to configure the accounting port that makes sense.

Is there a way to get accounting packets through DD-WRT or is this something open-source unfortunately just can't do? There are enterprise-grade routers out there that do have the ability to send accounting data but they are very expensive and for the moment its not practical.

I am aware that Chilispot can send out these Accounting packets (so its technically possible to do) but we have no need for a captive portal. Is there any way to make use of the accounting aspect of chilispot without the captive portal part (I suspect they are intimately intertwined and not separable)?

Thank you for such an amazing piece of open-source software. Its already saved us a lot of money since we didn't have to purchase the enterprise-grade wireless access points to get the features we needed. Thanks in advance for any and all answers or help with this issue. This is also something we can't drop or work around im afraid. Measuring data usage in particular is integral to the business itself (and is not in any way related to charging for data usage like with chilispot and other captive portals).
Sponsor
_Robb_
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 15:44    Post subject: Re: RADIUS accounting Reply with quote
TheRealBanana wrote:

Thank you for such an amazing piece of open-source software. Its already saved us a lot of money since we didn't have to purchase the enterprise-grade wireless access points to get the features we needed. Thanks in advance for any and all answers or help with this issue. This is also something we can't drop or work around im afraid. Measuring data usage in particular is integral to the business itself (and is not in any way related to charging for data usage like with chilispot and other captive portals).

Off-topic:
I would suggest you you donate to dd-wrt some of that saved money.

DO NOT 30-30-30 or erase nvram newer routers! It can brick them.

EA6700: Build 26093M (nvram below 32K, ipv6 - HE 6in4)
E4200: Build 22000++M
WRT54GL: Retired - waiting in the closet for an emergency.
TheRealBanana
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for completely being off topic and unhelpful. I guess you missed the point of the post which is, we don't physically have the money for those higher end routers, and if thats the attitude you get around here, "Donate money and we'll help" I can just as easily install one of the other handful of opensource router firmware available. I always read this forum was extremely caustic to outsiders but I guess you have to experience it to believe it. Thanks once again for your top notch input, I bet you're well liked around here.
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thats not the attitude. Just ignore the unfriendly posts. Of course donations are always helpful as routers for development or not free and BrainSlayer is not a bottomless bucket of personal money. It is not a requirement. As for your request i cannot answer as i have not looked into it at all. As you seem to be new i should point out that what gets installed with DD-WRT is often stripped down to a certain extant do to the way the routers work and the space available in many routers.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. I did some more digging and I think the problem is that DD-WRT uses a proprietary nas command for broadcom hardware to do WPA/WPA2 authentication and it only supports radius authentication it seems. But if hostapd could be installed and used instead it would support accounting. I don't know if this is possible with dd-wrt however.
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Broadcom is a closed driver at this time. It is a never ending source of disappointment but it is the world we live in.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheRealBanana wrote:
Thanks for completely being off topic and unhelpful. I guess you missed the point of the post which is, we don't physically have the money for those higher end routers, and if thats the attitude you get around here, "Donate money and we'll help" I can just as easily install one of the other handful of opensource router firmware available. I always read this forum was extremely caustic to outsiders but I guess you have to experience it to believe it. Thanks once again for your top notch input, I bet you're well liked around here.

Off-topic:

I guess you missed my point.
No where did I say: donate, then you will be helped.
It's not a requirement.

I suggested you support the software which is allowing You to save money.

I believe it to be only fair.

You didn't mention anything about how you are supporting dd-wrt.

I am also suggesting You may have reached the limit of the level free support is able to provide.

You may have to consider that you will have to spend some money to achieve your goals.

DO NOT 30-30-30 or erase nvram newer routers! It can brick them.

EA6700: Build 26093M (nvram below 32K, ipv6 - HE 6in4)
E4200: Build 22000++M
WRT54GL: Retired - waiting in the closet for an emergency.
TheRealBanana
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
cdmarshall wrote:
Broadcom is a closed driver at this time. It is a never ending source of disappointment but it is the world we live in.

I was afraid this was going to be the answer. Im going to fiddle with installing optware to test wpa_supplicant (which should be able to do accounting). Thanks again to everyone who stayed on-topic.
TheRealBanana
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damn, I was wrong. Seems like only hostapd is able to any of that and it only works with a few drivers. Hopefully there are some AC routers out there that can do this, the enterprise routers are easily a thousand usd.
Juwan67
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing this information!! Actually, I want to get some information about Aloke Ghosh professor. I have seen many accounting and financing books which are published by Aloke Ghosh but now I want to take admission in college where he is teaching. Is there anyone who knows about him?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: