Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 145, 146, 147  Next
zombie woof
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's not good news for existing owners that Asus are changing the hardware to fix problems. I hope this isn't the case.
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kesha2000 wrote:
I'll try. User "Annihilator666" said, that he's got Rev 3.20 of RT-N66U instead of Rev 3.00 in reviews and over the internet. Package is slightly different, firmware is 112 out of the box and there are some minor changes in hardware. Such as Dual Port Transformer, that is HN36201CG. Also, 3.20 now lacking two holes in the middle of PCB. He didn't touch the radiator, so there may be more changes. And if so, then it's possible, that Asus has done some fixes to our issue. Or will do it in further revisions.

English is not my native language, sorry.

Mine is a rev 3.00 and my coils are HN36201CG's.. The same as shown in the 3.20 pics.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Kesha2000 wrote:
I'll try. User "Annihilator666" said, that he's got Rev 3.20 of RT-N66U instead of Rev 3.00 in reviews and over the internet. Package is slightly different, firmware is 112 out of the box and there are some minor changes in hardware. Such as Dual Port Transformer, that is HN36201CG. Also, 3.20 now lacking two holes in the middle of PCB. He didn't touch the radiator, so there may be more changes. And if so, then it's possible, that Asus has done some fixes to our issue. Or will do it in further revisions.

English is not my native language, sorry.

Mine is a rev 3.00 and my coils are HN36201CG's.. The same as shown in the 3.20 pics.

I only translated Annihilator666's post. And I'm shure, it's not such important changes, anyway. Just information to notice.
Chance
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same here, i think the unique difference here is the CFE supporting 64K.
zombie woof
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chance wrote:
Same here, i think the unique difference here is the CFE supporting 64K.
You mean with the latest revision of the hardware?
petertfm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also the current hardware version is "B1"

so a revision to the hardware is most likely just a small change and does not need special firmware.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
if the ver 3.20 that is being talked about has version ~.112 of the oem firmware, it is not capable cfe wise of 64k nvram.

Asus is still working on it.. no way the solutions have hit the store shelves.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dumb question but where do you check what revision you have? I just recently got my router so I'd like to know what I have. I checked the sticker under it and looked around in the GUI a bit but didn't see anything that looked like it was a revision number.
Kesha2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
if the ver 3.20 that is being talked about has version ~.112 of the oem firmware, it is not capable cfe wise of 64k nvram.

Asus is still working on it.. no way the solutions have hit the store shelves.

Yes, it's too early. They need to fix existing devices first and then apply this solution to the production line.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
RabidMonkey wrote:
Dumb question but where do you check what revision you have? I just recently got my router so I'd like to know what I have. I checked the sticker under it and looked around in the GUI a bit but didn't see anything that looked like it was a revision number.

Look at the two pics posted by Kesha2000, the board rev number is silk screened on the pcb, just to the left of the jtag port (when viewing the pic).

I see no reason to bother at this point.. A MAJOR revision, will turn the device into a V2.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
So there's no way to check your revision without opening up the router? If that's the case then I'm not going to bother. I'll just check it if I ever need to open it up.
ceut2004
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,
New user here, I've received it this morning, and it was already shipped with F/W 3.0.0.3.112, H/W B1, manufacture date 2012.
I've tried to put RMerlin 3.0.0.3.108.6: upgrade ok but after rebooting, the RT-N66U start blinking on the Power Led without stopping. Webaccess is ok but I can't set anything inside. So I have reuploaded the .112 with the firmware recovery tool from Asus CD.

I don't know why but I will check this later, and take a look to DDWRT (I love this fw as I use it on an old wrt54gs and whr54g).
Maybe I have the Rev 3.20 Board too and it's an issue from this? I don't know...
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sometimes, new revisions are created purely for economical, and not necessarily technical reasons. Replacing a part with a different one because they are easier to obtain in mass quantities, or might be cheaper, for example. So, I wouldn't worry about this newer revision - a lot of noise and speculations possibly about nothing, really. Such revisions are very common in electronics manufacturing.

And in some case, you do NOT want a newer revision. WRT54G Revision 5, anyone? Smile
furlonghokie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
while we are waiting for the fix for the nvram, could someone please help me with the following:

i'm running the stock FW and I have 2 n66u's. I want to set one up to be a bridge (haven't figured out if i want to wire them together or connect them wirelessly). Regardless, I need help with the following:

1 - help getting the 2nd one setup as a bridge running stock FW
2 - will that work at all unless the nvram issue is remediated?
RabidMonkey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you sure you want a bridge and not something else? I don't even why you would want a wired bridge, it'd basically just be a switch. Maybe you want an access point which still really would make no sense wiring them together.

Anyway, if you are sure a bridge is what you want... In stock firmware just go to the Wireless menu and the Bridge tab. Put in the MAC address of the router you want to use as a bridge then connect to the bridge and put in the MAC of the router.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 145, 146, 147  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 41 of 147
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: