Android Wifi Very slow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Zxurian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:08    Post subject: Android Wifi Very slow Reply with quote
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r27858 mega (09/28/15)
running on Asus RT-N66U
Full System Info: http://i.imgur.com/kSirt6s.png
Acting as primary router for home Network.

Only have two androids, FireTV, 1/2 Chromecasts on wireless, the occasional laptop ever connected wirelessly.

Was running fine, had a brown out and after that WiFi has been very intermittent.

After the brownout, Initial connections take an extremely long time to connect, but after an initial connection is made, data streams fine.

Ex: when running youtube app on phone, takes a good 5-10 seconds for initial page to load, but after hitting play on a video, video streams fine. Same for any type of Wifi, after initial 5-10 second delay, data streams fine.

I thought it might be DNS related, but none of the wired machines using the router have any issues with connection.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'll provide any logs or debug info, just had no idea where to start and didn't want to flood initial post with red herrings. (yes, restarted multiple times).
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can see the status of the WiFi clients at Status->Wireless.

Do they connect by 2.4 GHz or 5Ghz?
Zxurian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
You can see the status of the WiFi clients at Status->Wireless.

Do they connect by 2.4 GHz or 5Ghz?

Wireless Nodes:
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only one wireless interface is used. Is the other disabled or broken?
Zxurian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
As far as I know, they're both enabled. Screenshit of Wireless - Basic settings

EDIT: Just checked clients, and one of my phones is connected to eth1
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
So from those devices which ones are the ones that aren't going well?

From what I see the one with MAC addr ending in C6 has got always very low SNR, around 20 which is quite low. Also the one connected to eth1 ending in E3 hasn't got quite good signal either.

Have you tried channels like 163, or 36 or 44 on 5ghz? And 1 or 11 on 2.4ghz? Giving that you have FireTV I think they don't work with higher channels on 5ghz but only if you use HT80 channel width, which is not available on N spec I think so you will fine trying those.
Zxurian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:
So from those devices which ones are the ones that aren't going well?

24:DF:6A:15:49:CC is my Nexus 6, which is having the described issue.

Xeon2k8 wrote:
From what I see the one with MAC addr ending in C6 has got always very low SNR, around 20 which is quite low. Also the one connected to eth1 ending in E3 hasn't got quite good signal either.

Have you tried channels like 163, or 36 or 44 on 5ghz? And 1 or 11 on 2.4ghz? Giving that you have FireTV I think they don't work with higher channels on 5ghz but only if you use HT80 channel width, which is not available on N spec I think so you will fine trying those.

So for testing purposes, I just grabbed the Wireless Info of my phone, and all tests were done one right after the other with the phone not moving
Code:
10:AE:60:5A:E5:C6   eth2   21:50:26   72M   117M   HT20   -63   -87   24   38%

Here is the site survey:

and a Fing Ping Test

Of note, while the Ping test shows good bandiwdth, it took ~10 seconds to resolve the DNS for google.com. Once it resolved, ping test went smooth.

DNS latency is not present on any machine hardwired to router

Tried switching 2.4GHz channel to 1, no change with regards to DNS resolving.

Tried switching 5GHz channel to , no change with regards to DNS resolving.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, sorry if I didn't get it right, every device connected to WLAN has the latency issue or just the Nexus?
Zxurian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:
Ok, sorry if I didn't get it right, every device connected to WLAN has the latency issue or just the Nexus?

sorry about the lack of updates, got distracted, but also did some extra testing.

It appears to be only android phones (Marshmallow) that have this issue. My laptop does not have it when connected to WiFi, (either), nor does it appear the FireTV has it.

However My phones have no issues when connecting to other WiFi routers, so ti's just android phones connected to my router.
Zxurian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
it's gotten to the point now where the phones are actually dropping the wifi becuase they think there's no internet available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: