My little site for Atheros router/dd-wrt, need suggestion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
netslayer wrote:
I now have a samba that comes back up after reboot of the router automatically -- hurray! Only problem is my Windows 7 PC cant seem to ever list files/folders on the share. I use the all capitals method that works on mac but no go on win7, anyone have ideas?

The way i have it working right now I basically have to mount a drive in windows using the login all caps.

Also make sure to do that windows 7 fix thing at the end of the article.

Though mine is not really working any more, seems like my router for some reason refuses to release used ram that should now be free. aka if i kill a process its ram is not freed up to be used by something else. my router fills up its ram (30 megs free) in about 5 seconds of transfer before i have 2% ram available and everything basically locks up.

My other problem with samba is the consistent mapping of the share seems to have serious problems. frustrating to say the least.
Sponsor
netslayer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was just able to get it to work on windows 7 (lists files and folders now via the mapped share as a network drive)! I believe I didn't copy the secrets.tdb last time or something.

I'm seeing 5% memory usage (3MB) and 75% CPU for smbd. I can write to the usb drive at 10.6MB/sec and read at 11.5MB/sec! Currently I have about 1.7MB free of memory on the router with 40MB cached.

Wonder if there is a way to get swapon to work with the swap partition I have on the usb drive:

root@DD-WRT share $ swapon /dev/discs/disc0/part2
swapon: /dev/discs/disc0/part2: Function not implemented
netslayer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
@uiaa Any chance you can add a Netatalk / AFPD section to your tutorial for Time Machine backups?

So far I can see opkg installed the binaries:
- netatalk (2.0.5-3) installed in root is up to date.
and I now have /opt/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf, AppleVolumes.default to configure and a init script at /opt/etc/init.d/afpd

If I start the file with "afpd -F /opt/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf -P /var/run/afpd.pid -c 7" I receive a password prompt but nothing I enter works. Trying to get the afppasswd to generate me users now. I'm also hearing that 2.0.5 netatalk may be a little too old as 2.1 is out and it supports the latest appletalk protos.
netslayer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's how far I got with Time Machine.. basically can go into Finder - Connect to server - afp://10.0.0.1 and it prompts me for login or guest. I can watch /var/log/messages outputted from afpd of the progress. It accepts my login and outputs "There are no shares available or you are not allowed to access them on server.."

Can launch afpd with the following command:
/opt/usr/sbin/afpd -d -F /opt/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf -g nobody -c 50 -n "Time Machine"

Code:

- -transall -defaultvol /opt/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default -passwdfile /opt/etc/netatalk/afppasswd -uamlist uams_clrtxt.so,uams_guest.so,uams_randnum.so,uams_dhx.so -nosavepassword -advertise_ssh -uampath /opt/usr/lib/uams

Code:

/mnt/share/time TimeMachine cnidscheme:cdb options:usedots,upriv,tm

Code:

Jul 15 01:47:21 DD-WRT daemon.info afpd[18409]: 0.14KB read, 0.12KB written
Jul 15 01:47:21 DD-WRT daemon.info afpd[18403]: server_child[1] 18409 done
Jul 15 01:47:24 DD-WRT daemon.info afpd[18430]: ASIP session:548(5) from 10.0.0.220:59930(7)
Jul 15 01:47:24 DD-WRT daemon.info afpd[18403]: server_child[1] 18430 done
Jul 15 01:47:27 DD-WRT daemon.info afpd[18435]: ASIP session:548(5) from 10.0.0.220:59931(7)
Jul 15 01:47:27 DD-WRT daemon.info afpd[18435]: randnum/rand2num login: chris
Jul 15 01:47:27 DD-WRT daemon.info afpd[18435]: login chris (uid 65535, gid 65535) AFP3.1
Jul 15 01:47:29 DD-WRT daemon.info afpd[18435]: logout chris
Jul 15 01:47:29 DD-WRT daemon.info afpd[18435]: 0.19KB read, 0.15KB written
Jul 15 01:47:29 DD-WRT daemon.info afpd[18403]: server_child[1] 18435 done

Permissions on the folder:
drwxrwxrwx 2 chris root 4096 Jul 15 01:24 time
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
netslayer wrote:
I was just able to get it to work on windows 7 (lists files and folders now via the mapped share as a network drive)! I believe I didn't copy the secrets.tdb last time or something.

I have realized this problem myself. The ONLY way i can access shares on a windows 7 box is to map the drive with a user name. Windows xp can access shares public and not, just fine. but neither of my 7 machines will list contents of shares (aka bad login or such problem) even wih every guest option on that i can find.

This would be ok except that I need to use the drive as a windows backup location and it refuses to work because of the problem.

anyone have any ideas?

Is 3.0.24 the latest version we can get of samba?

looks like it was released some time in 2007 and the latest releases seem to fix all the windows 7 issues.

Last edited by ccdoggy on Thu Jul 15, 2010 22:56; edited 1 time in total
WildSioux
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just looked at your site briefly. But what I gather is this WZR-HP-G300NH can run a web server. Correct? I have a DNS323 NAS with lighttpd web server running. Haven't done anything with it in a long time though.

So with lighttpd on this router. Can you save the lighttpd server on a usb jump drive in the usb port? And could you also save the web pages on that as well?

And as another use. Could a usb drive be used as a FTP server to save/read/write files to across the internet? Something like a music server as well?

Hmm...if this is possible. I will have to get a powered usb hub and use some spare usb jump drives to set up web, FTP, and music server(s). That way I can restore my DNS323 NAS and just use it for file storage.
netslayer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Basically got Time Machine working now:

opkg install netatalk

root@DD-WRT root $ cat /opt/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default
/mnt/share/time "TimeMachine" cnidscheme:cdb options:tm

root@DD-WRT root $ cat /opt/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf
- -transall -nouservol -setuplog "default log_debug /var/log/afpd.log" -defaultvol /opt/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default -systemvol /opt/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.system -passwdfile /opt/etc/netatalk/afppasswd -uamlist uams_clrtxt.so,uams_guest.so,uams_randnum.so,uams_dhx.so -nosavepassword -advertise_ssh -uampath /opt/usr/lib/uams

Run it by issuing this command:
/opt/usr/sbin/afpd -d -F /opt/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf -f /opt/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default -s /opt/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.system -g nobody -c 50 -n "Time Machine"

Setup the afpd password file using the afp password utility and copy to /opt/etc/netatalk/afppasswd with the mapped users to login

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/intrepid/man5/AppleVolumes.default.5.html
a+rwx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:45    Post subject: Possible fix for Samba Reply with quote
Enable the log for samba:

Code:
smb.conf
[global]
log file = /opt/var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 100

Check the logs. For example:

Code:
smb: can't resolve symbol 'telldir' in lib 'smbd'

After a little bit of Google, I forgot to install libc:

Code:
opkg install libc

Samba is working now.
hidoggy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
One of the best help I've even seen. Finally my samba is up! Really thanks!
hidoggy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure if anyone has seen this before, I got this error when I try to download and install ntfs-3g using opkg:

Configuring kmod-fuse.
/opt//usr/lib/opkg/info/kmod-fuse.postinst: .: line 3: can't open /etc/functions.sh

It seems functions.sh is in openwrt fw but is indeed missing in dd-wrt? Where can I find the script?
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I FIGURED IT OUT!

For the longest time windows 7 would not list the contents of drives if i did not have them mapped. which basically breaks the windows backup access and for people i want to have general anonymous access to some files.

I believe because its trying to do this 'Microsoft Distributed File System' MSDS thing which is causing the shares to actually point anonymous people to an incorrect location.

Here is the fix to let all Windows 7 computers view the shares. Under Global add
Code:
host msdfs = no

I added a ton of stuff to my config and am 90% sure thats what fixed it.

My only problem right now is that it fails login attempts unless the drive is mapped. which is not as big of a deal.

Confirmed as the fix by netslayer.

Last edited by ccdoggy on Wed Jul 21, 2010 23:33; edited 1 time in total
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
hidoggy wrote:
Not sure if anyone has seen this before, I got this error when I try to download and install ntfs-3g using opkg:

Configuring kmod-fuse.
/opt//usr/lib/opkg/info/kmod-fuse.postinst: .: line 3: can't open /etc/functions.sh

It seems functions.sh is in openwrt fw but is indeed missing in dd-wrt? Where can I find the script?

I am interested in getting this going also, figure it will come in handy.

Have you installed fuse? (i know nothing about installing either)
hidoggy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
ccdoggy wrote:
hidoggy wrote:

Configuring kmod-fuse.

I am interested in getting this going also, figure it will come in handy.

Have you installed fuse? (i know nothing about installing either)

I'm not familiar either.

Is fuse = kmod-fuse? I believe kmod-fuse is one of the dependent module by ntfs-3g so when I install ntfs-3g it also automatically downloads kmod-fuse. And when it is trying to configure kmod-fuse it shows the error.
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I figured out uShare and am willing to do a quick writeup for the site if people are interested. its really not hard just a little picky.

hidoggy wrote:

Configuring kmod-fuse.

I just installed ntfs-3g and gave no errors. I cannot mount anything right now as the drive i hook up to it crashes my usb hub so i gotta figure that out first.

Code:
opkg install ntfs-3g

did it for me. i guess it has fuse integrated into it.
pigge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
hidoggy wrote:

Configuring kmod-fuse.

Right now i can't reach my router so i cant test the install myself, but opkg is looking for the script in /opt, have you got your /opt linked to /jffs ?
otherwise you can take the bits and pieces about getting /opt linked from http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=74424&highlight=
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: