Client Bridge with mobile phone as AP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
mt1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 21:18    Post subject: Client Bridge with mobile phone as AP Reply with quote
Hi everybody,

I am using dd-wrt build 23204 on my TP-Link WDR 4300 so far and I'm quite happy with the functionality.
But I'm struggling a little bit with a problem I have.

I have a home network consisting of a notebook and smart TV (LG LM620s) as well as of my windows phone (Nokia Lumia 930 with WM 8.1) connected to my router (with dd-wrt).

I want to use a "remote control" app on my phone to control the tv, therefore phone and tv have to be in the same network to be "visible" for each other. This worked great as long as I conected the phone via wlan to the router (and used the existing internet connection of the router).

Now I want to get rid of the that internet connection (realized via an seperate 3G USB device plugged into one of the usb ports of the router which was set to AP mode).
Instead, I want to use the (fast) LTE internet connection of my windows phone as central AP for my home network. Therefore, I activate "internet sharing" on my windows phone (which is the Windows counterpart to wifi tethering on android devices).

My idea was to establised a client bridge setup with the router as client and the windows phone as host with the intention that the tv (connected to router) and the mobile phone (with the remote control app) share the same network and are "visible" for each other).

To realized that, I followed step by step the brilliant youtube how-to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE1mr-TXUPo and finaly I could indeed establish a client bridge setup where the windows phone provides now the internet for all clientes of the router and everything works more or less as I wanted, with the exception thet the remote control app on my phone cannot connect to my TV. Sad

It's strange because the app on the phone can find the tv in the network and trys to connect and also the tv starts immediatly the pairing process but for some reason the app cannot establish a connection Confused.

Has somebody an idea which final piece is missing why the app cannot connect the tv?
Does the "internet sharing" functionality of the windows phone somehow not allow the connection?
Any hint or help is very appreciated! Smile

Thanks in advance guys!
mt1
Sponsor
mt1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nobody any idea?
GreyDoc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
build 23204 is ancient. update it to latest ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016
mt1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
That wasn't exactly the answer I wanted hear. Smile

Really nobody an idea what might be wrong with my config?
VSparxx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
mt1 wrote:
That wasn't exactly the answer I wanted hear. Smile

Really nobody an idea what might be wrong with my config?

I really wouldn't recommend using your phone for long periods in internet sharing mode, as this will kill the radio module and the battery very quickly.

Now your "problem" seem to be more related to the phone, but it's not a problem, it's more of the way this sharing feature works, so to say, basically your phone is still on the network operator's LTE network, and it creates a virtual access point for internet sharing purposes but that's not the network your phone will look for when there is any kind of network request.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
no u wont "kill ur radio", battery? yes but not the radio..thats like saying if u dont unplug ur router when not using it itll die from being..used..

client bridge is a hacky buggy emulation of a true bridge which is wds, just connect to ur phone in client mode instead.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

VSparxx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
no u wont "kill ur radio", battery? yes but not the radio..thats like saying if u dont unplug ur router when not using it itll die from being..used..

You kinda compare here oranges to Ferraris, while a router is specifically made to be a gateway between all your devices and the WWW, a phone is a tool that was given such a feature to act as an VAP but this doesn't mean it can be it for long periods of time, I also have this phone, and have had Lumia 920 prior to it, and both phones heated like crazy when I did something more demanding, like streaming something or downloading, I'm pretty sure it's not designed to work in such conditions for long periods of time, and surely wasn't designed to act as the access point for all your devices in home.
Also it will kill not only your radio module but also your GSM module, as overheating starts primarily here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: