Can a repeater bridge keep a ADSL router active 24/7.

jlw847
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 19:29    Post subject: Can a repeater bridge keep a ADSL router active 24/7. Reply with quote
I have a BEC 8920NE router connected to ADSL at my vacation home. However it disconnects from the internet during times of inactivity. I need it to stay active 24/7 so I can connect to the wireless internet thermostat remotely. The wireless does not drop but the router disconnects from the internet. An active wireless device (iphone) wakes up the router and it reconnects. But the thermostat can't seem to do it.

I read the entire manual looking for a keep alive option, nailed up device, or idle time setting etc and could not find the setting needed to keep it active. I sent an email to the manufacturer but have not heard back from them.
Question 1:
Does anyone know how to do this on this router?

Option 2.
If I connect a dd-wrt wireless bridge to the ADSL router, will that keep the host router (ADSL) active in our absence? If so, any special setting needed.
Thanks a bunch
Sponsor
jlw847
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just found this script, but do not know how to apply it. I looked for a WIKI am sure there is one can you point me to it please.

Script is below:

Keep ISP from disconnecting due to lack of traffic
Some internet service providers will drop the connection if there is no traffic for some period of time (idle time-out). With these scripts you can prevent this.

#!/bin/sh

while :
do
ping -c 5 www.example.com >/dev/null # ping 5 packets
sleep 300 # wait 5 minutes
done
jlw847
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found in Administration tab a run command section. Do I copy the entire script below is the #!/bin/sh needed. I know to change the www.example.com to a valid url. The next question is which mode do I put the script in if I want it to run 24/7? Which save option to I use save startup??

#!/bin/sh

while :
do
ping -c 5 www.example.com >/dev/null # ping 5 packets
sleep 300 # wait 5 minutes
done
jlw847
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
No need to respond, this worked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: