R7000 DHCP doesn't work on VAP

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Bladiblato
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 17:19    Post subject: R7000 DHCP doesn't work on VAP Reply with quote
Hi guys and gals,

I've been roaming the forum for about 2 weeks now, but I need some help with my setup. Hope somebody can help me.

At home I have mobile internet connection and a home network. I want to merge those two things together so I don’t have to switch networks all the time. That is the reason why I'm trying DD-WRT.

Ok about the setup I have in mind.
I want all my stuff to connect to my R7000 router, so all can see the home network. I want the router to piggyback on the mobile internet tethering signal and bridge it. That way all my stuff see my home network and have internet access.

The 2,4GHz radio I have configured as Repeater Bridge to piggy back the mobile internet tethering signal. To make sure everything connect to the router’s WIFI instead of to the phone’s WIFI, I made a VAP on the 2,4GHz radio where everything can connect to. The phone acts as the DHCP server.

The setup works just fine as long as I have the phone in the network. Unfortunately one of a cell phone function is to take it with you wherever you go. Which leads to the situation that the phone can be taken out of the network and leaving the network without a DHCP server. Meaning heaving a rather useless network where you don’t have internet, no printing / scanning capabilities and no TV … and … yes to all the wrath that I can get from my wife and kid. So I need to tweak my setup a bit.

What I want to do now is to setup a DHCP for just the VAP. That way everything can connect to the router and the network still exist minus the internet connection when I take out the phone from the network. I will get a lot less angry faces towards me that way and maybe some family quality time Laughing

I have been digging around the forum and my configuration should work …. But it is not Crying or Very sad The DHCP for the VAP doesn’t work. It won’t give ip-adresses to clients.

My config:
VAP : unbridge
VAP’s ip : 192.168.2.1
VAP’s subnet : 255.255.255.0

VAP (wl0.1) assigned to brigde br0 in Setup --> Networking --> Assign to bridge.

Set DHCP server for VAP (wl0.1) in Setup --> Networking --> DHCPD

Put in the following commands in Services --> Services --> Additional DNSMasq option”

interface=wl0.1
dhcp-option=wl0.1,3,192.168.2.1
dhcp-option=wl0.1,6,192.168.43.1 (tried the phone’s ip-adress as DNS as I would thought to get internet connection without having to bridge wl0.1 and br0)
dhcp-range=wl0.1,192.168.2.100,192.168.2.150,255.255.255.0,24h

DNSMasq is enabled!

To my knowledge and the information I found so far, the above should enable the DHCP on the VAP (wl0.1) …. But it does not …. Crying or Very sad

I am on KONG’s PB DD-WRT v3.0r29165M (02/28/16). Maybe it’s just a bug, but I’ve tried different versions which goes back to 2014 with the same results.

Is there anything I did wrong or didn’t do to make the DHCP work on the VAP?

I hope there is a solution where I don’t need to buy new stuff to be on my family’s favorite site again.
Sponsor
Bladiblato
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I have read that the R7000 is not a ARM device in some other threads, I will be moving this thread to the Broadcom device section.

Apologies!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: