HOWTO: WRT54GL DIY INTERNAL POE! *PICS*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
dicksons
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had posted a slightly different technique a year or two back -- what we do is jumper the power to the lan port closest to the power since we do it for outdoor client routers.

we use injectors like the ones on the dd-wrt shop.

I like Treb's splitter made from an inline connector -- I should try that.

I make splitters out of keystone jacks, which is pretty easy too.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
dicksons wrote:
I like Treb's splitter made from an inline connector -- I should try that.

Thanks but I didn't invent that, don't know who did though. Making a splitter/injector from an inline connector isn't very hard to do. It is however not for the faint hearted, since the colours of the wires inside the connector aren't universally the same or follow a standard colour coding. You've got to figure out the right coloured wires to be used for PoE yourself.

Here's the inside of my splitter.

infusion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I made a mod in Treb's POE, It's pretty neat and simple:

HandMadePOE.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.3 KB
 Viewed:  31019 Time(s)

HandMadePOE.jpg

matt0401
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow this is amazingly cool! I was looking for POE solutions on the net and the cheapest I could find that I could use for any Linksys router (I have a WRT54G v3) is $60 CAD. This looks like a much cheaper way to do it though. And I learnt everything I need to know to do it last year in high school Computer Engineering. Thanks for posting!
a9988cd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
matt0401 wrote:
Wow this is amazingly cool! I was looking for POE solutions on the net and the cheapest I could find that I could use for any Linksys router (I have a WRT54G v3) is $60 CAD. This looks like a much cheaper way to do it though. And I learnt everything I need to know to do it last year in high school Computer Engineering. Thanks for posting!

I use this cheap efficiency to be high.
http://www.mitscomponent.com/english/product_oem_a1.htm
Treb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
infusion wrote:
I made a mod in Treb's POE, It's pretty neat and simple:

Hey that's a nice piece of homebrew PoE! Well done!

matt0401
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now since there is still plenty of voltage available in short cable lengths, does that mean it's still possible and safe to run two PoE lines over one cat5 wire? What I mean is only using one of the twisted pairs for each run. (One wire for first positive, one wire for first negative... etc.)
infusion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think there is no problem if you are planning to use short lenght.
matt0401
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I never really make my own cables and so I always use store-bought which never goes above 100' here. Do you think 100' would be too long to run power for two GL's? According to the OP's chart... "100ft actual router voltage = 11.0v". So I guess I should be okay. And does anybody have any idea how much power a WHR-HP-G54 uses? I'm planning on using these as my DD-WRT router of choice in the future.

Last edited by matt0401 on Mon Aug 27, 2007 16:10; edited 1 time in total
dicksons
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
you can use one of the nifty POE calculators for an estimate, but rule of thumb, using one pair rather than two for power to a device just about cuts your range in half.

on a linksys this probably won't be a problem if your under 100', but it sure should be easy enough to test.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I'll have plenty of diagnosis LED's to tell me how well it works. :P

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to make use of this for my next repeater project.
wygamail
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it's worth mentioning that the Buffalo products do not behave the same way when soldering a POE solution onto the board.

I recommend a two-piece POE injector/termination kit for Buffalo units that recent posts have referenced.

But here's the rub--The voltage drop over even a modest run (~10 meters) causes my Buffalo units to hang at boot. You need a new power supply for this to work correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
wygamail wrote:
I recommend a two-piece POE injector/termination kit for Buffalo units that recent posts have referenced.

But here's the rub--The voltage drop over even a modest run (~10 meters) causes my Buffalo units to hang at boot. You need a new power supply for this to work correctly.

I was planning on just using an injector/extractor cable if I were to use a Buffalo.

What do you mean by new power supply? And is getting one too expensive? I may not even bother with this with Buffalo routers if its not going to be stable.

EDIT: I bet the issue is with the amplifiers on the HP-G54's. They probably need a lot of voltage to feed them.
Treb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
matt0401 wrote:
Now since there is still plenty of voltage available in short cable lengths, does that mean it's still possible and safe to run two PoE lines over one cat5 wire? What I mean is only using one of the twisted pairs for each run. (One wire for first positive, one wire for first negative... etc.)

If both devices are to be powered with the same power adapter why don't you make a daisy chain setup? Daisy chains for powering mutiple guitar effect are relatively cheap and come with the right connectors molded onto the cable.
I made my PoE injector and splitter from such a daisy chain, an Ibanez DC-3 to be precise.

Ibanez DC-3 daisy chain cable

TomSelleck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I undertook a similar project about a year ago and had a lot of fun with it. I spent a while measuring the voltages over different lengths of network cable. It was surprised at how small the drop was. I concluded that in almost any residential setup, you don't have to worry about voltage drop because the Linksys power supply is so good.

I found my old forum post: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5545

Link to my build (lots of pics) and voltage tests: http://abrahamarama.com/

Hi Dicksons! I learned some good stuff from you back then. Its in that thread I linked to above.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: