Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 built-in amp problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
oogie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:03    Post subject: Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 built-in amp problem Reply with quote
-_- back again, and this time i got a WHR-HP-G54 Buffalo, only cause of the signal strength. well once i installed dd-wrt and set it up and looked at the clients signal (on dd-wrt) they were about 20% better than my whr-g54s router. then i go to one of the clients and went to check the signal... it was the same as the whr-g54s!!!! but on dd-wrt client list it shows it better signal!!! i have it set to 10 mw and im using DD-WRT v24 Beta (08/10/07) std build. wth is going on, how do i fix it, what commands ect. it would be nice if i get a quick reply of how to fix this cause im going to sell my old router once i get this one to work.
Sponsor
avldwx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Isn't the SNR for the listening radio and not for the connection as a whole?
I agree, though, this is the opposite of that you were expecting.
your G54 is maybe more sensitive... giving a better SNR receiving the client, but the radio didn't actually get boosted on the G54, so the client is getting the same, hence same SNR??

I have a G54 on Tomato (at 10mw), and would like a way to check what the amp is set at....
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your site survey is only for the Rx sensitivity of the unit. The Buffalo's seem to have a better sensitivity over the Linksys. I noticed about 15-20% increase when I first bought my Buffalo G54S over my old G54v1 and v2 units.

The Tx may or may not be stronger (since it is adjustable with dd-wrt, I have never really tried to plot differences) but the old Linksys Site Survey's always seem to be a little less then the Buffalo with the same power Tx setting (I use 40mW). My laptop Survey never changed either when receiving signals from either the Linksys or the Buffalo.

I have no plans on ever purchasing another Linksys router. Buffalo is the way to go as far as I am conserned. Even the quality of the $25-35 Buffalo router is better than a $50 Linksys which has been severely neutered.

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
10 mW in V24 is a low setting. You should put it up to 42 mW. A lot of people run them at 84 or 100+ and have good luck with them at those higher settings. 10 mW is a good setting for V23 SP1, not for the firmware you are using.
http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: