Repeater for RV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
asdasd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:18    Post subject: Repeater for RV Reply with quote
Hello Smile

I was wondering the best way to go about taking a signal from a local hotspot that has a web sign in and broadcasting it inside my rv for my family to use. From my research I have come to the conclusion that a 8dbi Omni-directional antenna with a repeater and maybe even an amplifier will provide me with strong connection. However, the idea that I need to sign in with a login {1.1.1.1 authentication} troubles me. If I simply wanted a repeater I could get a 25$ http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA801ND-Wireless-300Mbps-Repeater/product-reviews/B004UBU8IE/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=helpful and I'd be set. But the issue is the that I don't know if that would work.

In essence, what device would provide me with the ability to grab a "sign-in-hotspot-connection" and transmit it inside my rv for 3-5 devices? Or..."what would allow my family to connect to a hotspot that I don't have line of sight for out my window, but do on the roof?"

Or... Can dd-wrt do what this device claims to be able to do? http://www.jefatech.com/product/RV-KIT-REPEATER/Long-Range-WiFi-Repeater-Kit-for-RVs.html

Sorry for the many questions, I'm somewhat disgruntled and require a beverage. Cheers!
Sponsor
n0kfb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've installed a cheap buffalo router with DD-Wrt firmware into a 14 db gain flat panel antenna and set it up in repeater mode. It seems to work quite well; I was at an RV park in western Nebraska overnight that didn't have WiFi, and pointed it at the large chain motel across the interstate. It worked pretty well!

Yes, I can connect multiple devices to my repeater and they all share the same connection. Usually only the first device needs to sign in.

Keep in mind that many RV parks (and other shared 'free' internet connections) have a limited bandwidth connection to the internet; general web surfing and e-mail will work fine, but you probably should not try to stream video.

--Dan Meyer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: