Problem with signal strenght.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
MightyBeeLV
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:35    Post subject: Problem with signal strenght. Reply with quote
Device: TP-Link TL-WR741ND v4
CPU: Atheros AR9330 rev 1.1
Antenna: 5dBi
TX Power: 18dBm
Wireless Mode: Client

Hello,
So the problem i have is that when i freshly start up the router, first 30s uptime with wireless node i have a -40dBm signal but after that it drops to -59dBm.
I know that the signal is still good but why does it show different levels at the first 30s? Even my phone from that spot can get to -56dBm so shouldn't it be higher than -59dBm with that antenna anyway?

The problem i encountered might not be a problem but a glitch but either way i want to know what exactly is going on because i couldn't find any similar information or issue on web.

Hopefully someone will know the answer to my weird question.
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also don't know what exactly is going on behind the router operation. I may be wrong but my guess is wifi system is an adaptive system, i.e. it will check the receive signal strength and then adjust the transmit power accordingly. That is why people always said Tx power setting on the router is for maximum Tx power that the router can transmit and not necessary that it will transmit at that power all the time.
jwoods
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
You might take a look at the recommended wireless settings in this DD-WRT wiki article...

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/QCA_wireless_settings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: