PPTP VPN - What DNS to use?

bobenour
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 0:23    Post subject: PPTP VPN - What DNS to use? Reply with quote
My internal LAN uses 192.168.1.176, a Windows 12 server performing DNS services. When I set the dd-wrt PPTP server DNS to this, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't - no apparent explanation why. I am connecting to the dd-wrt PPTP server using Win10, Win7 and Android clients.

It was my understanding that whatever I put in the DNS block would be what was given to any clients connecting to the VPN server as the DNS to use. Seems to make sense so it can find things internally. However, no connections can be made to the server when I put in the DNS setting that everything on the inside uses just fine (192.168.1.176)

When I put 8.8.8.8 in as the DNS it allows the connection to be made just fine. But of course it has no idea of anything on the inside of my network so not a really good solution.

Wondering if I have a conceptual error... Any ideas on how to use a DNS that will make the dd-wrt server connection but also be aware of internal dns? Maybe a Win Server 2012 DNS issue?

Thanks
Sponsor
bobenour
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the DNS entry that I put in dd-wrt when setting up the PPTP server used by the clients logging in to the server or by the server in performing it's role?

I am still puzzled why the internal DNS server (192.168.1.176) is problematic.

I am aware of the issue where both networks use the same IP space and the resultant confusion - N/A in this case.
jeanericblass
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can run into a lot of problems while trying to connect with the PPTP VPN connection on windows with a VPN. This usually leads to unreachle websites or other services.

This isn't the VPN's error, it happens due to the fact that the windows uses your ISP's DNS instead of the one provided by the VPN service. This is a known problem in the windows OS.

Fortunately there is a solution to all this:
=============================================
1. Click start and type 'Run' in the search bar, then type 'regedit32' in the box and click Ok.
2. Click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Linkage

3. In the right pane, double-click Bind.
4. In the Value data box, select the “\Device\NdisWanIp” item, press CTRL+X, click the top of the list of devices, and then press CTRL+V.
5. Click OK, and then quit Registry Editor.
sarahaadms
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
It shouldn't be happening like that, but if it does then you should recheck your setup connection with windows. is that proper or there are any lack. Mostly its comes from another server which you want to connect or access. it's totally my opinion that setup VPN on windows should fix that problem. but hey what about give it a try? I believe it will fix it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: