Web interface SLOW loading

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware
lschweiss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 23:10    Post subject: Web interface SLOW loading Reply with quote
For some reason DD-WRT's web interface has become extremely slow to load pages. Any page is taking over 50 seconds to load.

I just tried upgrading to the latest version (6/10) and resetting to defaults. No change. Everything is extremely slow.

This is on a GW2348-4. I have removed all radio cards and the CF card.

Is this normal? If not what should I try to correct this problem?

This is making experimenting with DD-WRT very painful.

EDIT: I just figured out this is only happening on Firefox. Everything loads quickly under Konqueror. When I first encountered this problem it was on a SuSE 10.0 machine with Firefox 1.5.x now I'm on Ubuntu 7.0.4 with Firefox 2.0.x. Is this a Firefox setting that needs changed?
Sponsor
confused_user
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
firefox itself is the problem. use a different and better browser and you will see that it works fine.
lschweiss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have figured out the problem is related to Firefox & DD-WRT.

I don't want to get into a browser war, but DD-WRT's gui is the only thing I have experienced this sort of problem.

There must me something the DD-WRT gui is doing that Firefox doesn't like.

If this is a known and common problem it should at least be documented. I first suspected DD-WRT, because it is the only web page served to Firefox that is slow. Most will not suspect their browser causing this extreme slow down, and blame DD-WRT. This can halt an evaluation that may have lead to many sales prematurely.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke too soon. I'm now seeing the same problem using Konqueror today.

Last edited by lschweiss on Sun Jun 17, 2007 15:11; edited 1 time in total
confused_user
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
most users do not have the problem because they all use the good internet explorer.
lschweiss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I work with linux products, like DD-WRT and run Linux on my desktop. Internet Exploder has no place on Linux.

Good luck compiling your own firmware and keeping the trash off your system.

Now back to the real question, if anyone wanting to address the problem at hand. What can be done to make the DD-WRT gui load in less than 1 minute per page on something other than IE?
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
personally i dont have that sort of problem with firefox, but i know alot of other problem with it (cookie related almost).

i dont know why firefox takes so long for you. dd-wrt. uses latest state of art html technology and is also checked for full html compatibility. so please check if something is wrong with your firefox installation. maybe delete the browser cache and/or cookies since this is solving 90% of all firefox troubles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
i tested firefox 2.0.0.3 with a GW2348-4. site loading takes about 1 sec.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
maybe delete the browser cache and/or cookies since this is solving 90% of all firefox troubles

Deleting cookies fixed it. Thanks!
wifirama
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 22:25    Post subject: Gui veru slow from WAN Reply with quote
I have the same problem.
Gui very slow from WAN with firefox or IE with or without cookies allowed.
And I don't know how to find the origin of the problem.
By using de gui from LAN, no problem.
-------
DD-WRT v24 RC-3 std (c) Release: 09/13/07 (SVN revision: 7957)
padudle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 17:03    Post subject: DD-WRT is very slow on Internet Explorer too Reply with quote
I have been interacting with dd-wrt using MS Internet Explorer 11 because of the comments on this forum about Firefox.

Unfortunately, the dd-wrt web interface runs very slowly for me too, 1 minute per page.

Developers, please keep an eye out for what might be causing this. If I learn anything I will post it here.
SparcAsia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:47    Post subject: Insight and solution (for open Router mode setup) Reply with quote
This took a few days to figure out what was happening. No one bothered to post after 8 years so your welcome (probably the phpbb that's partly to blame for that).

When you are in a static AP Router mode and your WAN is connected to the Gateway even though you've selected "Assign WAN port to Switch" you try to access the Router's Web GUI from within the router it is impossibly slow (but does eventually work).

I had got it to work by plugging the gateway wan port into the lan port so the other lan port had the same direct hop to it (not so much joined to the switch it seems). Then it worked properly.

Thinking deeper on this... Idea

I decided to change the gateway to the Local IP I statically assigned the dumb switch (Router mode Wireless AP setup). Then it works properly to access the Web GUI even if the gateway master router is plugged into the wan port. I also leave 0.0.0.0 for the Local DNS if gateway is 0.0.0.0 it's not the same and you get the SLOW Web GUI problem.
I would say there's a bug to squash there somewhere. Maybe it's interpreting a gateway of 0.0.0.0 as whatever the Local IP Address is set to. Maybe when the Assign WAN port to switch it should disable the gateway field and set it to match the Local IP address?

Is this making sense any problems with doing that? I'll keep testing for a while but it makes sense and seems to be working correctly now.
SparcAsia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:55    Post subject: Maybe not? Reply with quote
Well now I see some inconstancy in using the gateway with the same IP as the static set Local Lan IP. It's still sometimes slow?! Embarassed

Well if you plug the outside cable into the LAN, and then plug the inside computer into the LAN (it renegotiates so then) you get a tracert that doesn't go through the real gateway *.*.*.1, and then you can switch it back, so the outside wire goes back into the (bridged/linked) WAN port and then tracert shows one direct hop still but after a reboot it potentially regresses to the true gateway route (2 hops) despite attempts to put the same IP for the gateway.

Maybe one needs to enforce manually a single hop route somehow?
Any thoughts to try?
I'll report back if I find a more reliable solution.

Okay well it looks like if you edit the machine your on's route table to change the metric to a lower value it will skip going to the default gateway.

Windows Example:
Code:

route change 192.168.55.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.55.230 metric 1

where the 192.168.55.230 is the local ip of the machine your editing on. Maybe add the -p flag for a persistent route.
If you put the Outside in the LAN and one of the inside LAN computers in the WAN then only that one would need the route metric reduced when trying to access the router and it's too SLOW.
Still sometimes I see randomness I think maybe I need to put the metric of the default gateway higher? Yes that makes sense, seems to work more reliably now, still not perfect on tracert but the GUI seems to be not slow anymore.

Gateway setting of the router can be 0.0.0.0 again then like Local DNS.

Update:
I tried putting a Static Route into the DD-WRT Setup>Advanced Routing section of the GUI as...
Dest LAN-NET 192.168.55.0 mask 255.255.255.0 way the Local LAN IP 192.168.55.20 Interface WAN with a metric 0
but if you look at the "Show Routing Table" it already has one set to a zero metric (and no route change occurs) so tracert (aka traceroute) switches back and forth from one hop to two (actually seems random or rarely 1 like before).
So that's bad first off the default routes in the table should have a metric of 2 or more so there's a way to insert this kind of patch. I've actually no way to know if this would work. It's speculative, until those default routes have a high metric, then testing for a router side solution could continue.

For now I suggest just patching the one your connecting Slowly from by lowering the LAN route's metric below the default route to gateway 0.0.0.0
If your physically there then just plug both into the LAN ports for editing.
SSH's Busybox route command might be fruitful eventually but I don't think metric is working properly. zero is probably not to spec anyway.
http://linux.die.net/man/8/route
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: