Client Bridge on TP-Link TL-WR703N v1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
eladb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:22    Post subject: Client Bridge on TP-Link TL-WR703N v1 Reply with quote
Hi Guys,

I am running r29519 firmware and I have configured a Client Bridge (CB).

My main AP is a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND with IP 192.168.0.1
My CB is a TP-Link TL-WR703N v1 with IP 192.168.0.2

An attached device on my CB has IP 192.168.0.138

It's working well but can anyone tell me why IP 1.1.1.1 appears regularly in the list of Active Clients on my AP and it's coming from my CB (same MAC address) ?

Cheers...Dale
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:52    Post subject: Re: Client Bridge on TP-Link TL-WR703N v1 Reply with quote
eladb wrote:
It's working well but can anyone tell me why IP 1.1.1.1 appears regularly in the list of Active Clients on my AP and it's coming from my CB (same MAC address) ?

Cause CB is not a true transparent bridge.
I wouldn't worry too much about it if it works for you
Here is an 'old pic' I have of wrt160NL CB to wndr3700v4.
The MAC address is showing correct (static lease) IP of device connected to CB, and the 1.1.1.1, and also a generic IP.
Never know what may show in different builds using CB.... as I said it's just a hack anyways.
eladb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:12    Post subject: Oops...I thought it was working ?!?! Reply with quote
In fact I've just discovered that it's not working correctly!

I'm trying to use my TP-Link TL-WR703N v1 Client Bridge to connect a Multi Function laser printer onto my home WiFi LAN.

It's weird in that I can log on to the printer over the network and configure it, but I can't print...something's not right!

Also why can't the CB get its IP from the AP DHCP ?
Instead I have to give it a static IP.
The printer is correctly getting its IP 192.168.0.138 from the AP DHCP.

Thanks for your suggestions...Dale
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will find many things don't work correctly 'two-way' behind a CB for reasons I mentioned...... It's good for many things but Not good for just about as many.

Printer problem --- I'll suggest go in control panel to printer/properties and set it to use regular TCP IP port....whatever it's IP is. Might give it a static IP in you main router. Don't know how well that'll work but it is what I would try if using client bridge.
Someone else may have better idea.
Another option....If your routers are compatible you can bridge them using WDS.
eladb
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:59    Post subject: Client mode won't work with r29739 Reply with quote
This is getting more complicated.

r29519 was causing my AP WiFi to drop out, so I upgraded to r29739 and now I can't get Client mode (not bridge) to work at all...there's no connectivity.

Without Client Mode I've got no chance of getting my MFC laser printer onto my network.

Cheers...Dale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: