Asus RT-N16 "upgraded" with TRX file - bricked?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
thoraxe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK. I'll set a timer for 15 minutes just to be safe. It's currently reflashing 14929.
Sponsor
thoraxe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK... just had to wait. Now I'm on 29621!

Thanks for all the help. Case closed.
steve2470
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 18:15    Post subject: Newb question about precise "erase nvram" Asus RT- Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Its REALLY hard to brick one of these...here are my notes on recovery...follow them to the letter and you'll be ok.

redhawk

Code:
To get K3.x working on the RT-N16 unit....use the Asus Recovery Utility for initial flash.
Hold reset button while plugging in unit...wait for power button to blink.  This is recovery mode.

MUST USE build 21530 for this to work....can not be any other build.

Load these files in this order.

1 - dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16.trx (use Recovery Utility)
2 - dd-wrt.v24-21530_NEWD-2_K3.x_big.bin (through dd-wrt GUI) (Select Reset To Defaults)
3 - Update to latest K3.x_big file

Once K3.x is installed:
Do NOT issue "erase nvram" command from CLI...this unit only has 64K of nvram...the CLI thinks it has 128K and the firmware thinks its 256k...this means doing an "erase nvram" removed other parts of the flash chip (likely firmware partition "dd-wrt" or "linux")

Note: build 21530 seems to have wireless issues...it broadcasts the ssid...but you can't connect to it...however, if in repeater bridge mode, you can contact it through the host AP at the router's IP address.

IF the router won't provide a Power LED after updating to the K3.x file...then there is a problem with the flash chip and it needs to be cleared (except the CFE).

mtd erase nvram
mtd erase ddwrt
mtd erase linux

This will clear the flash chip...now start the process again with the K2.6 build in step 1.

I am a 100% newb to mtd erase. How do you do it, precisely ? Enter all commands and then hit Run, or do one at a time or does each command need its own line ? Thanks!

For clarity, I am using a Asus RT-N16 router with DD-WRT firmware v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini - build 14929.

v3.0-r36808 big (08/30/18 )
Linux 3.10.108 #17150
Broadcom BCM4716 chip rev. 1
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 23:08    Post subject: Re: Newb question about precise "erase nvram" Asus Reply with quote
steve2470 wrote:

I am a 100% newb to mtd erase. How do you do it, precisely ? Enter all commands and then hit Run, or do one at a time or does each command need its own line ? Thanks!

For clarity, I am using a Asus RT-N16 router with DD-WRT firmware v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini - build 14929.

You need to log in using either ssh or telnet. This is done using a utility like putty.

You might be successful using a command tool of windows as well.

"telnet 192.168.1.1" (if you haven't changed the router's IP address.)

Then type each command line separately...hit enter.

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: