Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:59 Post subject: WNDR3400v1 not working as access point
I have two Netgear WNDR3400v1 routers, each running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) mega - build 21061. Each has functioned well, one at a time, as my router. I recently configured one of them as an access point, carefully following the wiki https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point. The two units are connected via their LAN ports.
I can connect wirelessly or wired to the AP but cannot connect through the AP to the router or beyond. A device connected to the AP is never granted an IP address by the router.
Things that do work:
1. I have a Roku box direct connected to the AP; it communicates fine through the router to the net. I’d never noticed this before but apparently the Roku doesn’t need an IP address.
2. I can connect from the router to the AP.
What am I missing?
My router is named WNDR3400_A
Its IP address is 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: Enabled
DHCP Daemon: uDHCPd
Start IP Address: 192.168.1.5
End IP Address: 192.168.1.254
My access point is named WNDR3400_B
Its IP address is 192.168.1.2
On the System Info tab I can see my iPhone’s MAC Address of 66:FD.
On the Setup Basic Setup tab I have
WAN Connection Type: Disabled
DHCP Type: DHCP Server
DHCP Server: Disable
On the Advanced Routing tab
Operating Mode: Router
Dynamic Routing Interface: LAN & WLAN
Static Routing Select set number: 1 ()
Destination LAN NET: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Interface: LAN & WAN
Do you have any remnant scripts (firewall/startup) or other MAC/access/etc settings tripping you up? I've seen that before. Did you start by doing a GUI reset (factory defaults). Or try a different port, like the WAN since you have it set for the WAN now; I always do that so I can access the AP if I do a reset, as the upstream .1 gateway becomes its WAN until re-setup as AP. Or...try a newer build? I used my WNDR4000 (basically the same I think) for a long time as an AP w/ no issue. _________________ #NAT/CTF: slow/limited speed on DD#Repeater issues#DD-WRT info: Builds, Types, Changelog[SVN], Peacock, Demo# x64 pfSense 2.4.0b|RT-N66U@663 Merlin 380.68b1|33006: WNDR4500v2 & WNDR4000@533 k3, 31825: WRT54GSv6@250 µ
& GLv1.1@250 VoIP|GLv1.1@250 TM 1.28.7636 VPN|OEM: WGR614v10@400-WNR1000v3 mod, HWREN1v1-HWABN1v1 mod
Thank you for your response.
Not sure how to verify existence of remnant scripts; I'll check into it.
Doubtful I have problematic MAC/access/etc settings since I've not fooled with these.
I did start with a GUI reset (factory defaults)
I did change ports; am using WAN on the AP.
I'll reserve the newer build option as something to try.
Thank you for your response.
I've change the access point IP to 192.168.1.253
DNSmasq for DHCP on main router is now set.
DNSmasq for DNS on main router is now set.
No change in behavior.
Screen shots of main router setup page and services page attached.
If not actually using local DNS then leave local DNS zeros.....also leave this as zeros on the AP
Do that and check status page (WAN) to see if you have DNS servers showing. Should be from your ISP.... I recommend using openDNS servers....just a suggestion if you want.... put on main setup page
Leave 3rd as zeros
Also you should turn NTP on the AP...same setting as main... they will then keep time sync