HughesNet Dish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Androxilogin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:03    Post subject: HughesNet Dish Reply with quote
I recently moved into a house down the street from my dad and using a Linksys DD-WRT with detachable antennas and Windsurfers attached I can get a signal of about 30%. The problem is that it drops out and sometimes during/after storms it will drop down to about 19%. I find myself positioning the Windsurfers on almost a daily basis.

Now this house that I moved into had a HughesNet dish I failed to notice at first. Much like http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGHESNET-Satellite-Dish-Radio-Transmitter-heavy-duty-Stand-200-cable-hughes-/322139929127?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368 this one if not exactly. I followed the coax into the house and it turns out that it is actually right below where my router is placed. I'm not sure if these dishes are set up in order to send receive like a biquad and have been searching all over for an answer. If I cut off the ends of the coax coming in, (looks just like television coax) soldered it up into an N-Connector and connected it to my router would it work? Wondering if anyone has tried this before. It would save me a lot of trouble if this were the case. I'm not sure if it is actually television coax or wifi certified but the end has the tv connector type.
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Most probably it won't work as satellite TV operates at different frequency range. The one you have most probably operates at Ku frequency range 11.7 to 14.5GHz. However, if you do a google search for windsurfer wifi, you will find information on DIY antenna reflectors for that purpose.
Androxilogin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
Most probably it won't work as satellite TV operates at different frequency range. The one you have most probably operates at Ku frequency range 11.7 to 14.5GHz. However, if you do a google search for windsurfer wifi, you will find information on DIY antenna reflectors for that purpose.

As mentioned, it is a wifi dish, not a satellite tv dish. And I mentioned positioning Windsurfers, I've been using them and they're not enough.
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your question is still on whether the HughesNet dish like thing can be used to replace the Linksys external antenna with windsurfer attached, my answer is still the same, it is not going to work. However, nobody can stop you if you want to try. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: