TP WR841N v8 Wifi Schedule

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
ddyabe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 17:38    Post subject: TP WR841N v8 Wifi Schedule Reply with quote
Hi, I have a TP WR841N v8 with DD-WRT installed from this page (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=161581&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=195)

The reason I wanted to install DD-WRT was so that I could schedule the wifi to turn on and off at certain times. I have found lots of guides saying that I can schedule in the UI by going to 'Wireless/Advanced Settings' but I cannot find where to do it. Attached is a screenshot of the settings page, can someone tell me what I am missing.

Alternatively some forums suggest that cron jobs is the way to do it?

Thank you
Sponsor
ddyabe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I have bought a router which is not compatible with the feature of scheduling wifi on and off times could someone recomend me a cheap one on amazon that can do it?

thank you.
sanist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just use cron (admin/management tab) as in the example below (on at 9am everyday, off at 10:30pm everyday)

Quote:

00 09 * * * root /sbin/ifconfig ath0 up
30 22 * * * root /sbin/ifconfig ath0 down; iwconfig ath0 txpower off
ddyabe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
sanist wrote:
Just use cron (admin/management tab) as in the example below (on at 9am everyday, off at 10:30pm everyday)

Quote:

00 09 * * * root /sbin/ifconfig ath0 up
30 22 * * * root /sbin/ifconfig ath0 down; iwconfig ath0 txpower off

Thanks Sanist but unfortunately that is doing nothing. I copied the code exactly into the cron then saved, then applied settings, then rebooted the router. The only change I made to the code was the times to test it (always using the 'mm hh ' format, I then logged into the 'status window' to see if radio turned off which it did not, I also used my phone to search for wirless and it was there. Any ideas?

Thank you
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
read this:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11457
ddyabe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Mile-Lile.

I had read that thread and I had put this in the cron but it still does not do anything:

20 08 * * * root wl radio off
25 08 * * * root wl radio on

Does anyone know why it is not working?

Thanks.
ddyabe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
If no one can help with this can anyone point me to the cheapest router that will run the version of DD-WRT that I need to be able to set the schedule in the UI?

Thanks
uakiki
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddyabe wrote:
If no one can help with this can anyone point me to the cheapest router that will run the version of DD-WRT that I need to be able to set the schedule in the UI?

Thanks

Hello, I have the same router and the same problem you do. I noticed that using

/sbin/ifconfig ath0 down

wifi radio was correctly shut down.
However using

/sbin/ifconfig ath0 up

didn't work to bring radio on.
I noticed though that if I reset the router it starts with wifi radio ON.
So I modified my cron commands in this way, and it works for me:

0 02 * * * root /sbin/ifconfig ath0 down
0 07 * * * root /sbin/reboot

(change the times to suit your needs).
You will have a minute or so of connectivity down (when the router is rebooting) but it doesn't matter in my case.

Hope this helps, cheers.
sanist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now I understand why my initial solution works: I too had a daily scheduled reboot shortly before the scheduled wifi on command.

I had set up the reboot just to clear up memory daily, to prevent any possible teething issues after I set up the router.

Seems like I can now remove the redundant wifi on command, and move the reboot to cron to keep a consistent picture of the schedule.

thx
plazma
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found this thread why looking for a solution to schedule the wifi on atheros units.

However it didnt work for ath0 didnt come backup, probably something has changed in modern builds.

Ive posted a working solution to the problem here for anyone that stumbles onto this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: