Restrict access for all users, including administrator?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
anoukaimee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:40    Post subject: Restrict access for all users, including administrator? Reply with quote
I have an ASUS RT-56U, and was advised to post here by the General Questions moderator. Currently using Merlin/ASUS firmware and it has no such feature; trying to see if I can accomplish this with DD-WRT, so no build info.

This is probably a big ask, but for me has become a necessary one.

I have a problem with internet addiction (please, no remarks telling me to resolve otherwise; I'm doing the best I can). I've tried different programs, and am relatively software-savvy, so it is easy to get around these restrictions if I'm motivated (which I am, unfortunately).

I would like to block my ability to 1) set access restrictions across the board for internet access entirely at certain times (although ideally, I'd like to access one or two sites: gmail, trello, etc., but don't think this is possible).

Is there any way for me to retain administrative rights so that I cannot access DD-WRT interface and disable them, while still having a password if I need to troubleshoot? Alternatively, is there some DNS control program or alternative firmware that might enable me to do this, or a script/plugin for DD-WRT that might help?

As far as software solutions, I do have blocking program called Cold Turkey (the best of the bunch, I think). I haven't been able to figure out permissions on Windows 10 in a way that I can take ownership of files and then give them back to Trusted Installer/System so I can prevent deleting/modifying etc. the files (although I think that would be absolutely perfect). Every file hider program is either easily broken or modifies my system in some untenable way that really messes up my computer.

I know that there's nothing that I can do with the modem, but it is placed somewhere very inconvenient and I won't bother trying to connect directly via ethernet.

Again, please no scolding. Just trying to solve this.

Appreciate any help that might be available. Thank you very much.
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know of a way to block access that cannot be circumvented when you have access to the settings used to create the blocks. Best that I can think of is to turn off the radio on one br intervals so at least you know you are deliberately going in and turning them back on.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Acumen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you really are addicted, I believe the only solution is to get to rehab and fight it cold turkey because:

If you know what to do, you can always get online as long as you have physical access to the router. So, if you want to protect yourself from yourself, you should have to find someone else to administrate your router(s) and make sure you cannot physically access the device.

Make sure your ISP router is out of reach as-well or perhaps ask your ISP if they have an option to limit your Internet access and only allow a selected person other then yourself to have the settings changed.

This however might solve your WiFi/Home networking situation, but not your mobile phone data link or perhaps open WiFi networks nearby.

Found a bug, report it so the it can be fixed: http://svn.dd-wrt.com/
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Get someone else to set the password and mot tell you.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
HalfBit
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 23:38    Post subject: Re: Restrict access for all users, including administrator? Reply with quote
anoukaimee wrote:
I have an ASUS RT-56U, and was advised to post here by the General Questions moderator. Currently using Merlin/ASUS firmware and it has no such feature; trying to see if I can accomplish this with DD-WRT, so no build info.

This is probably a big ask, but for me has become a necessary one.

I have a problem with internet addiction (please, no remarks telling me to resolve otherwise; I'm doing the best I can). I've tried different programs, and am relatively software-savvy, so it is easy to get around these restrictions if I'm motivated (which I am, unfortunately).

I would like to block my ability to 1) set access restrictions across the board for internet access entirely at certain times (although ideally, I'd like to access one or two sites: gmail, trello, etc., but don't think this is possible).

Is there any way for me to retain administrative rights so that I cannot access DD-WRT interface and disable them, while still having a password if I need to troubleshoot? Alternatively, is there some DNS control program or alternative firmware that might enable me to do this, or a script/plugin for DD-WRT that might help?

As far as software solutions, I do have blocking program called Cold Turkey (the best of the bunch, I think). I haven't been able to figure out permissions on Windows 10 in a way that I can take ownership of files and then give them back to Trusted Installer/System so I can prevent deleting/modifying etc. the files (although I think that would be absolutely perfect). Every file hider program is either easily broken or modifies my system in some untenable way that really messes up my computer.

I know that there's nothing that I can do with the modem, but it is placed somewhere very inconvenient and I won't bother trying to connect directly via ethernet.

Again, please no scolding. Just trying to solve this.

Appreciate any help that might be available. Thank you very much.

First of all, I admire your courage to post and admit your current circumstances. Don't give up, and don't be afraid to ask for help from those you trust.

Second, as others have mentioned, someone else needs to create and keep the password.

Third, you asked about a DNS control solution. We use OpenDNS to restrict access to certain website categories, as well as specific websites that we have decided to block as a family, such as YouTube. OpenDNS is configured on the router with firewall rules to redirect all traffic on port 53 (DNS traffic) to the router which then is configured with OpenDNS. This is the case for both our trusted network and the guest network, so any device on router is filtered. We also use an internet filter on our computer that sends email alerts to the account owner if necessary/wanted. As far as the specific configuration for OpenDNS, etc. there is a ton of posts and wiki pages out there on how to set that up, but don't hestitate to PM me if you have any questions.

Fourth, as you have mentioned, filters and other solutions can be easily circumvented. The best thing is have someone you can be accountable to, give them control, and work on your personal recovery. The best filter is yourself, but I understand that it can be difficult initially. If you would like more resources on that front, please PM me. I would be happy to share resources with you.

WRT54Gv2
WRT54Gv8.2
~~~~~~~~~~Other Settings~~~~~~~~~
https://nextdns.io/?from=2d3sq39x
https://pi-hole.net/
https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscrypt-proxy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: