Archer C7 / AC1750 Version 1.1 / install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
ballena
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 23:54    Post subject: Archer C7 / AC1750 Version 1.1 / install Reply with quote
Hello All,

I have been trying to install DD-WRT to my Archer C7 Version 1.1 (AC1750) but on each attempt I have bricked the router.

And since TP-Links are well enough engineered with a good anti-brick system, I have been able to get the router back working, on the TP-Link firmware.

I had OpenWRT on it, but they don't have a driver for the 5Hz Wireless and they have no intention of doing it.

Firstly, can DD-WRT be installed on it from the webinterface or do you need to use another method?

And should the 5Hz card work on DD-WRT?

I'm most grateful to TP-Link for their anti-brick design -- if a router can survive me, it must be good quality.

ta, b.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_Archer_C7_v1.x
Sponsor
jwoods
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Remove the 5 Ghz card before flashing.
ballena
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're basically saying that the DD-WRT firmware will brick the Archer C7 (version 1.1) if the 5Ghz wireless card is not removed before the install?

And once the firmware is installed, will it work with the 5Ghz card put back in?
jwoods
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
ballena wrote:
You're basically saying that the DD-WRT firmware will brick the Archer C7 (version 1.1) if the 5Ghz wireless card is not removed before the install?

And once the firmware is installed, will it work with the 5Ghz card put back in?

Correct.
ballena
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. I will try this and I will document this if all went well.

Life is much easier with a Archer C7 Version 2.
ballena
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firstly, I would like to say that DD-WRT will not work on an Archer C7 Version 1.x, if the 5GHz card is still connected. This is the result of my work.

I did the following:

I took out the QCA9880-AR1A 5GHz card. The TP-Link firmware was still on the unit. However, the web-interface would not work without the 5GHz card. So I had to put it back in.

From the 'tplink_archer-c7-v1' directory, I downloaded the 20160404 beta. Due to the small flash (just 8 mb), there are two files: factory-to-ddwrt.bin and the tplink_archer-C7.bin.

With the 5GHz card in, the factory-to-ddwrt.bin install went quite well. After the install, I switched off the unit and took out the card. The unit booted up just fine without the card. I did the final update to tplink-archer-C7.bin. That went fine as well, as I rebooted and had a good look around. No problem.

The only little odd thing I noticed was that DD-WRT had the version of the unit 'Version 2' instead of 'Version 1.1' which it is.

Then I switched off the unit, put the 5GHz card back in and the unit was in a 'bricked' mode. No response from the unit. I was able to verify this with the tcpdump I had going on eth0 on my computer.

Thus, if you want to use DD-WRT on an Archer C7 Version 1.x, you will need to take the 5GHz out. If you want to have 5GHz wireless, you will need to replace the card.

OpenWRT/Lede will both work with the card still in, but neither will be able to recognise the card (same problem with the lack of open source drivers).

Sadly, for very complicated reasons (which I don't totally understand), there will never be any open source drivers for the QCA9880-AR1A chip.

I will write this info on the wiki page as well. If anyone else could confirm this or had another experience, please let me know.

ta, b.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_Archer_C7_v1.x
jwoods
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
These are known issues.

Also, see @Tatsuya46's comments in this thread...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=302863
ballena
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would have been reasonable if that information could have been on the DD-WRT wiki. But that's not possible since it is not easy obtaining a DD-WRT wiki login.

Thus, I will put some information on a webpage with the warning not to install DD-WRT on an Archer C7 Version 1.x with the unsupported 5GHz card still attached.

Otherwise, without the 5GHz card, DD-WRT works just fine on the Archer C7 Version 1.x
jwoods
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
ballena wrote:
It would have been reasonable if that information could have been on the DD-WRT wiki. But that's not possible since it is not easy obtaining a DD-WRT wiki login.

Thus, I will put some information on a webpage with the warning not to install DD-WRT on an Archer C7 Version 1.x with the unsupported 5GHz card still attached.

Otherwise, without the 5GHz card, DD-WRT works just fine on the Archer C7 Version 1.x

It would be more convenient to have it on the DD_WRT wiki.

However, a Google search using Archer C7 v1 site:dd-wrt.com brings up that information as well.
ballena
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
'However, a Google search using Archer C7 v1 site:dd-wrt.com brings up that information as well.'

It does, if you have hours and hours to go through the all the information (which often can be messy)

That's the point of a wiki -- so you don't have to spend hours going through massive amounts of information.

I was able to set up an account on the OpenWRT wiki with no problem, I really hope DD-WRT can reconsider their strict anti-spam policies.
jwoods
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
ballena wrote:
'However, a Google search using Archer C7 v1 site:dd-wrt.com brings up that information as well.'

It does, if you have hours and hours to go through the all the information (which often can be messy)

That's the point of a wiki -- so you don't have to spend hours going through massive amounts of information.

I was able to set up an account on the OpenWRT wiki with no problem, I really hope DD-WRT can reconsider their strict anti-spam policies.

I understand, but it is what it is...

Contact a moderator and see if they can post it for you.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I added the info to the wiki page
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TP_Link_Archer_C7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's a link to what I wrote myself:

https://openrouters.blogspot.com/

If this could be on the DD-WRT wiki, that would be even better.

I am of the opinion that the DD-WRT version for the Archer C7 Version 1.x should not be released, since the router will not boot up after installing the DD-WRT firmware (unless the 5GHz card is taken out).
jwoods
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
ballena wrote:
If this could be on the DD-WRT wiki, that would be even better.

See @Malachi's post right above yours.

Thanks Malachi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: