[Mods] Internal Battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Yasha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Carputer

Last edited by Yasha on Wed May 23, 2007 19:13; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Justintoxicated
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
anectine17 wrote:
Justintoxicated wrote:
what is an MMC mod? Sorry for the dumb question, not in the Wiki yet, and search pulls all kinds of posts? Is it for a carputer or something?

I have no idea what a "carputer" is, but an SD/MMC mod simply installs an SD or MMC card on the router to expand the router's memory. It allows you to run different packages or programs on the router, like: http servers, ftp servers, etc. You can also store router logs, firewall logs, etc. It's been covered here a gajillion times. The link below explains it pretty well.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Customizing/Hardware/MMC

^^ Nice

Thanks for the MMC mod link. Yea so uhh the battery is for what? The card reader? Would not it be simpler and cheaper to just convert 12V to 10v with a regulator? I must be missing something here.
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I assume the battery is so you can take the router mobile. There certainly isn't any need for a battery with the SD card reader...it gets its 3 volt power from the router. I really don't see any need for a battery. I know some people use their routers for Wardriving, etc. I build a $4 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter for people that want to take their routers out in their cars. Where else would you use the router where you'd need a battery?? That's the only thing I'm missing.
Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
dicksons
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, I dunno, maybe on the top of a mountain as a repeater using a solar charger so that the hillbillies down the next holler can have Internet...

anectine17 - You of all people should know that not everyone is just trying to use DD-WRT to get to a multimegabit commercial ISP drop in the next room of their urban abode...

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, with my eventual idea in motion... by the time its all together, I'll have a portable - powered router (barely larger than the original router's size from specs) which will serve as a wifi AP connector (tapping one wireless AP and providing cat 5 ethernet ports the connection from the wireless connection), as well as a backpack-wardriving device (for those who only use busses and such, bikes and just human bipedal motion), and a laptopless torrent client with everything needed self contained ( SD mod to provide drivers and application space, and either a USB adaptor [if there is a way to mod a usb host controller into the router] or ethernet based laptop hard drive enclosure for the 20-160GB of extra storage space for torrent downloads and whatever else I'd feel like doing with it on the router... plus, if I were to add in the samba server into the router's list of features, it will permit a password protected ethernet based network storage (NAS) without interfering with other functions of the router, so far as I know ...) more or less backpack or smaller sized portable wardriving / wifi leaching / network extending / NAS providing / torrent downloading device...
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Duplicate post deleted.
Linksys WRT54G v.4
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Last edited by anectine17 on Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:09; edited 1 time in total
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
dicksons wrote:

anectine17 - You of all people should know that not everyone is just trying to use DD-WRT to get to a multimegabit commercial ISP drop in the next room of their urban abode...

Agreed.......but even out here in the middle of nowhere where I live, we have Currant Bushes we can plug into!!

umisguy wrote:
well, with my eventual idea in motion...

...) more or less backpack or smaller sized portable wardriving / wifi leaching / network extending / NAS providing / torrent downloading device...

In other words, WarWalking?? Why?? Confused (wifi leaching?....hmmmmm)

Linksys WRT54G v.4
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

umisguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not talking about connecting into networks which obviously don't want me in them (encrypted or non broadcasted) but.. for those which are open, unencrypted and broadcasting their SSIDs out to the public... its not like people like that (most of the time anyway) care enough to bother worrying about someone extra on their connection, I don't want to encroach on other people's personal or private space, but if its an open network, ... in america and a lot of other countries, theres an open door policy, you're allowed to enter the house if the door is open so long as you make your presence known and mean no ill will, at least until the owner asks or tells you to leave, but my point isn't that, its just that if a network is "sharing" their internet connection to anyone with the hardware and proximity to connect to it... why not use it for a lil while, its not like a person is going to take all the bandwidth in one interface... right? I mean, many free access points exist in my area and some are companies and others are just houses, but many are not encrypted, I don't even bother with the ones that are encrypted or don't broadcast SSID. I'm a person who can't drive, and don't have many friends who can drive, and I'm currently sans a laptop until I can afford the extra parts to repair the damage, but anyway, since I have spare time, and I took over a no longer being used linksys WRT54G v3.0 Router and have done some hardware and firmware modifications to it... why not expand upon the modifications as far as possible?
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am interested in the ability to run from a battery (or from a USB cable taking power from a laptop) for travel situations. The Buffalo router is small enough to be a good travel router. Sometimes the reception is uneven in a hotel room and the location of best signal might not be by a power plug. Anyway, has anyone managed to run a Buffalo (WHR-G54S or WHR-G54HP) router from a battery?
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump
parafine
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
JN wrote:
Has anyone done any kind of battery mod on a Buffalo WHR-G54S or WHR-G54-HP to put a battery in it or to connect a separate battery pack? I also thought about using one of those USB battery packs for travel that take tips for various types of plugs, but don't know what you call the plug for the Buffalo power brick or how to get one to wire to a battery pack.

Any ideas?

Not the Buffalo but I am testing running a WRT54GL off a 12V battery charged by a solar panel. I will post more as I find out more.

The main thing is to see how tolerant the voltage regulator is on the unit as the battery voltage drops as it's getting depleted.

WRT54GL draws about 240mA current at 12V irrespective of the Tx power setting. I was expecting to see more current drawn when you increase transmitter power but I guess it doesn't work that way.
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
What would really be a cool battery mod would be if one could run it off a battery no larger than a laptop computer battery.
JN
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or, would there be any way to run a Buffalo off a USB port on a laptop with appropriate cable?
Blackraven
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have asked something similar in this post.
Now I'm actually using my second wrt as a client for my laptop, powered over usb, so that it shuts off when I power down my laptop. [I am experiencing some connectivity issues with my intel card]

retired:
WRT54GL v1.1 DD-WRT v24-SP2 vpn - build 10550
WRT610N v1 DD-WRT v24-preSP2 - build 14929 mega
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: