TLWR740N v5.0 ddwrt firmware issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
XenolithicYardZone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 18:50    Post subject: TLWR740N v5.0 ddwrt firmware issue Reply with quote
Hi guys, I have a TL-WR740N v5.0 and I am facing issues when flashing it with ddwrt firmware.

I posted this issue in the firmware thread http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279582 but haven't got a reply yet so decided I might be better of starting a new thread altogether. Also my apologies if this is in the wrong place as I am new here and feel a bit lost.

Right so I reset my router to factory settings and flashed it with the firmware from the link above. Flash was successful and the router rebooted.

Now here's where the problems begin. First of I can't access the config page. When I try to access the default gateway 192.168.0.1 or tplinkwifi.net , for a few seconds it appears as if the page is loading but then I get the connection has timed out error. If I try the gateway address I get from ipconfig, I get the webpage is unavailable error.

Now I have internet access on my PC even though its connected through the router and the wifi network shows up on my phone as well - dd-wrt, 192.168.1.117, excellent signal strength, 65mbps, 2.4GHz but I have no WiFi.

I have managed to unbrick (assuming it was bricked in the first place) my router using the following tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_qZLOMvFLA

But I'd love to get the firmware working on my router. If you read through the thread I have linked above, a few guys are running that firmware fine of their v5.0 routers so I am hoping I am doing something wrong as opposed to the firmware being incompatible. Also since v5.0 isn't supported by ddwrt (atleast not yet), its not like I have other options.

Would someone kindly tell me what I am doing wrong and point me in the right direction? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsor
cyncomm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 22:49    Post subject: I have it workingon a WR741ND Reply with quote
First do a 30-30-30 reset.

This will clear the NVRAM and settings.

After this is done attach a laptop or pc to the LAN, only connect 1 machine to prevent possible issues.

The Web access is 192.168.1.1 by default but you can use ipconfig to look it up on your computer.

After that setup is fairly simple.

And clear the CACHE/History on your browser to prevent previous pages from interfering.
danymarc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 0:04    Post subject: Re: I have it workingon a WR741ND Reply with quote
cyncomm wrote:
First do a 30-30-30 reset

never do a 30-30-30 thats for Broadcom, 740 is Atheros.

this IPs are Tp-Link
Quote:
192.168.0.1 or tplinkwifi.net

now you are DD-WRT, on second post DD-WRT ip is posted
as now you are DD-WRT, you can connect, by wire or wireless.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok guys I reflashed the firmware for a third time and tried 192.168.1.1 but still no luck and the default gateway address after flashing the firmware is 123.238.136.1 and that didn't work either.

This time around though I managed to get Wifi access on my phone but now I am confronted with a whole new problem. If I have internet access on my PC, then I can't have it on my phone and vice versa. When I have net access on my PC, my phone takes me to my ISP's login page and trying to log in results in the page telling me that my previous session has been terminated abruptly at which point I have to terminate that session by entering my userid and the answer to my secret question. Now when I go back to the PC, well rinse and repeat.

Now I have tried removing the wifi network from my phone and logging in again, logging out on both platforms
and then logging in but nothing.

The fact that I have net access leads me to believe that something's working but how on earth do I access my config page and why am I not having net access across multiple devices like I used to?
danymarc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems your ISP uses same ip as DD
Change subnet to DD router to 192.168.2.1

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
danymarc wrote:
Seems your ISP uses same ip as DD
Change subnet to DD router to 192.168.2.1

How exactly do I do that? Change subnet mask in IPV4 options? What about the ip address and default gateway then?

Sorry for the nooby questions...well I am a noob so Razz
danymarc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Setup tab/Network setup/Local IP Address it reads 192.168.1.1 change only third segment 192.168.2.1 and that will be your new ip to log to DD-WRT interface
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
XenolithicYardZone

Do you know what kind of authentication your ISP uses?
Seems to me that you can only have one device authenticated at a time.

It means that when you have your phone and the PC connected on the router, the device that access the internet first is prompted to login.
Then, when a second device tries to reach the internet, it prompts this second device to login and disconnects the first one, and so on.

You have to make your router authenticate with the ISP so that all devices connected to it will have internet access.
XenolithicYardZone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
cbaldan wrote:
XenolithicYardZone

Do you know what kind of authentication your ISP uses?
Seems to me that you can only have one device authenticated at a time.

It means that when you have your phone and the PC connected on the router, the device that access the internet first is prompted to login.
Then, when a second device tries to reach the internet, it prompts this second device to login and disconnects the first one, and so on.

You have to make your router authenticate with the ISP so that all devices connected to it will have internet access.

Apologies for not replying and necroing my own, year old thread but the issues I faced back then are still present so I guess its better than starting a new thread.

My ISP requires me to log in daily but once logged in, I can access the net connection on multiple devices. The issue only crops up when I install dd-wrt firmware. I tried the latest factory to dd-wrt beta but still no luck. Reset router, cleared browser cache, installed latest firmware, reset the router again but all the issues I described in my OP are still plaguing me today.

How do I authenticate my router with the ISP?

Please help. Thanks.
jwoods
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check with your ISP.

Some require registering your MAC address.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/MAC_Address_Clone
XenolithicYardZone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwoods wrote:
Check with your ISP.

Some require registering your MAC address.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/MAC_Address_Clone

Do you mean call my ISP for help?

Btw I checked the link and it says its located in a sub tab under Basic Setup...problem is I can't load my config page like I mentioned.

192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1...nothing works. My IPv4 address 123.236.164.118 and my default gateway reads 123.236.164.1. I am guessing that's wrong?
jwoods
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
XenolithicYardZone wrote:

Btw I checked the link and it says its located in a sub tab under Basic Setup...problem is I can't load my config page like I mentioned.

192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1...nothing works. My IPv4 address 123.236.164.118 and my default gateway reads 123.236.164.1. I am guessing that's wrong?

Call your ISP and ask them if they require the MAC address to be registered.

Try another browser to access the web GUI, or failing that, telnet into the router and enter the following...

httpd -h /www

Then try the web GUI.

Default gateway and IPv4 address are determined by your ISP.

Also, keeping your questions about your router in one thread is less confusing, and easier for people who are trying to help, to know what has already been tried.
XenolithicYardZone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwoods wrote:
XenolithicYardZone wrote:

Call your ISP and ask them if they require the MAC address to be registered.

Try another browser to access the web GUI, or failing that, telnet into the router and enter the following...

httpd -h /www

Then try the web GUI.

Default gateway and IPv4 address are determined by your ISP.

Also, keeping your questions about your router in one thread is less confusing, and easier for people who are trying to help, to know what has already been tried.

Thanks for the reply and yes I should probably keep all my questions in one thread but I am just desperate for any help I can get seeing as I have hit a dead end with both procedures.

I'll try what you said but in the meantime if you or someone else could help me figure out why my router's not pulling the firmware from the tftp server when I hold the Reset button and connect the power cable, I'd be most grateful. As I said in the other thread, at times the server interface changes from 192.168.0.66 to 127.0.0.1 software loop on its own.

Things I have tried:
Different tftp servers.
Different firmware versions.
Moving the lan and wlan cable positions around.
Disconnecting the router from the modem.
While holding the Reset button, sticking the power cable in as opposed to powering it on from the spikeguard.
Renaming wr740v5_tp_recovery.bin to wr740nv5_tp_recovery.bin.

Right now I'd settle for stock if it means I have a working router.
jwoods
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to clarify...are you trying to upgrade your firmware, or unbrick your router?

If your router is bricked, this video shows a how to procedure using tftp32 (Windows users)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hWT35w6sVI&feature=youtu.be&list=PLnxXRLSlmSVNiENiN9wTejP6dtIqqmTya

If you are trying to upgrade your firmware, you would need to also set up a static IP for the computer you are using (as in the video), and use the Tftp Client tab.

http://www.trishtech.com/2014/10/upgrade-router-firmware-using-tftp/
XenolithicYardZone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwoods wrote:
Just to clarify...are you trying to upgrade your firmware, or unbrick your router?

If your router is bricked, this video shows a how to procedure using tftp32 (Windows users)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hWT35w6sVI&feature=youtu.be&list=PLnxXRLSlmSVNiENiN9wTejP6dtIqqmTya

If you are trying to upgrade your firmware, you would need to also set up a static IP for the computer you are using (as in the video), and use the Tftp Client tab.

http://www.trishtech.com/2014/10/upgrade-router-firmware-using-tftp/

Well I managed to unbrick the router through some combination of using tftpd64, running it as admin and adding the letter n to the recovery firmware's filename. Yes I was using one of his videos which I also used last time to unbrick my router.

Btw now when I type ipconfig, Link-local IPv6 Address doesn't show my ISP's name, only a random string of numbers and letters. Also default gateway's changed from 123.256.something to 192.168.0.1. Don't know what to make of that.

Anyway, I'll follow the tutorial you linked to and try upgrading to dd-wrt using tftp server instead of the web GUI. I'll let you know if it works.

Edit : Do I have to activate the TFTP client in Windows features too?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: