DD-WRT behind ISP Router Help

jonasdk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:43    Post subject: DD-WRT behind ISP Router Help Reply with quote
Hi guys,

First time inquiring, but I've been stalking the board for many years.

I have a problem with my DD-WRT router (which is installed on a TP-Link router) but due to English not being my first language, I have a problem searching for the right terms, and I hope you can help me.

Behind the router provided by my ISP I have a DD-WRT router, which I would like to be in charge of assigning IP address to the network, because I want to be able to gain access to my home server from outside the house.

Here's my situation.

The ISP router, which is a cable modem actually, is on a network starting with 192.168.87.1 and the range starts from 192.168.87.100. I can't change anything, other than I am able to port forward to any connected devices. All my devices however, are connected to my DD-WRT both wired and wifi. I haven't changed anything, so IP ranges are 192.168.1.100. WAN is 192.168.87.101.

Is there a way to obtain access to my servers connected to the DD-WRT router?

Thanks in advance.
Jonas
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have to port forward on both routers if your dd-wrt router is in gateway mode.

1. Set your dd-wrt router in RIP Router Mode.
That will depend of if your isp router is picking up the routes from the rip packets.

2. Set your dd-wrt router in Router Mode an enter a static route to 192.168.1.0/24 on the isp router.

3. Set your isp router in bridge mode and have your public ip on the dd-wrt router.
jonasdk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
You have to port forward on both routers if your dd-wrt router is in gateway mode.

1. Set your dd-wrt router in RIP Router Mode.
That will depend of if your isp router is picking up the routes from the rip packets.

2. Set your dd-wrt router in Router Mode an enter a static route to 192.168.1.0/24 on the isp router.

3. Set your isp router in bridge mode and have your public ip on the dd-wrt router.

Thanks. But I can't do anything other than port forward on the ISP router. Unfortunately.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried out Option 1?

Change the WAN Operation Mode from "Gateway" to "RIP2 Router".

Ping the ISP router from a client behind the dd-wrt router and see if you get a response.
jonasdk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Have you tried out Option 1?

Change the WAN Operation Mode from "Gateway" to "RIP2 Router".

Ping the ISP router from a client behind the dd-wrt router and see if you get a response.

Sorry. I read it as three steps Smile

Anyway, I did try it but I lost internet connection. Maybe there are some limitations in the ISP router.
jonasdk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK. I finally got it to work.

I search for problems like this in connection to my ISP (it's called STOFA), and apparently I had to log on to a control panel at my ISP and disable something called "router functionality" - which I had no idea was an option.

And all I did was to restart my DD-WRT and it worked.

Thank you for your help and guidance. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: