USB printer on TP-Link WR1043ND v3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
routrnoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 20:40    Post subject: USB printer on TP-Link WR1043ND v3 Reply with quote
I am unable to get my Canon MP560 printer functioning with DD-WRT on a USB connection. Followed many instructions: enabled USB, checked in root with PuTTY for lsusb and shown as not found, many online suggestions, etc. Even updated firmware to earlier DD-WRT version with no success. To check a compatibility issue, I reverted the firmware back to stock and installed the TP-Link printer software and the printer works fine, although the printer/scanner utility interface is junk. I really prefer the DD-WRT with the standard Canon software but don't know where to begin to get it working. Tried all the obvious. Any ideas?
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
dd-wrt use p910nd as the printer server and a lot of Cannon printer models are not supported unfortunately. For more details about p910nd, you can check this wiki: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/p910nd.server
routrnoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
dd-wrt use p910nd as the printer server and a lot of Cannon printer models are not supported unfortunately. For more details about p910nd, you can check this wiki: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/p910nd.server

That may ultimately be the case (Canon MP560 not supported), however I can't even get a handshake that the router is finding the USB port. Others have successfully installed USB devices with this v3 router, and I followed the steps completely. I wonder if there are other settings preventing it.
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
After you have enabled USB print in web GUI, telnet to the router and enter lsmod and see if you can find usblp and then enter ps to see if p910nd is running. If you want to see if USB is detecting any device, you can try USB thumb drive and see if it is detected.

Edit: It seems like WR1043ND v3 doesn't has p910nd build in so I can only assume that it doesn't support USB print. Hope WR1043ND v3 user can chime in to confirm.
routrnoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
It seems like WR1043ND v3 doesn't has p910nd build in so I can only assume that it doesn't support USB print. Hope WR1043ND v3 user can chime in to confirm.

I have already spent way too much time with this router to get the USB printing function working. My original thought that this would replace my old Asus router (running DD-WRT) with the added advantage of not running "G" to slow down the system (The wireless feature of the MP560 uses 802.11g and when it hangs on a print job, it consumes the wifi bandwidth until the printer is reset). Anyways, it looks like my goal may not work, and the stock firmware interface for the USB printer is a joke and wifi speed is half of what DD-WRT.

Thank you for your help, and if someone chimes in with an answer, I will give it a try.
mj5030
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

I have a feeling that your device is not supported under DD-WRT. This may be due to GNU/GPL license issues, just a guess. It may also be do to the fact that a print driver may not necessarily be large itself, but accounting for all the different drivers available for all the printers on the market would be. Thus, a general generic one is used, in order to limit space. The router you have only has 64mb of flash memory, and a bundle of lots of different drivers would surely exceed that capacity.

If you want a work around with your printer's wifi issue, connect the printer directly to a PC via USB cable. From there enable Print Sharing in Windows on that PC if that is your Operating System. That PC will have the appropriate drivers you need for your printer and will be acting as a print server now. The PC you use as the print server may either be wired or wirelessly connected to the router. As long as wireless isolation is not enabled, any PC or device connected to the router should be able to find and connect to that printer, either by searching for the device or specifying the path, provided they have proper permissions. I suggest using a static IP for the print server PC. In order to do that assign that in the network options on the PC and give it an IP address outside of the router's dhcp range.
routrnoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are likely correct that the router cannot support the memory size of the complex canon interface. This would explain why the usb server software from tp-link is so simple and frankly near useless.

Good suggestion to network the computer and print share, and it would work too. However the machine that the printer is direct connected to is not always powered up.

I restored the original built in wifi printer drivers and old asus router. All good. Now that I know about the problem, I can cycle the power off on the printer when my wifi slows to a crawl.

I still am amazed on how much faster and stable the firmware change to DD-WRT makes the router. And on EVERY router I tried it on (about 8 of them over the years). I seldom use the specialized features, but the simple daily reboot is awesome.

Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: