TPLink WDR4300 rebooting every 1 min (!!!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
mrenglishman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 22:02    Post subject: TPLink WDR4300 rebooting every 1 min (!!!) Reply with quote
My WDR4300 has been working flawlessly for over 1.5 year now. Excellent uptime record, and I have only needed to reset it just a couple of times. It's been pretty much set-and-forget from day 1.

All of a sudden, today, it started rebooting itself every 1 minute or less (I timed it).

Tried 30/30/30 reset and restored the backup configuration file, and it does the same.

Tried having it powered off for >30 min, then turned it back on and it does the same.

I'm running build 21061 -- which is the one that's provided as the main download for this router from dd-wrt.com

Any ideas how to fix this?

Many thanks in advance!
Sponsor
Psyxroid
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are absolutely certain that there were no changes made to the router configuration, and that there is no device newly connected to the router, then I'd suggest compiling a list of potential problems to rule out. Process of elimination.
1. You turned it off for 30 minutes, that may rule out any overheating issues.
2. Turn on syslog, then monitor the syslog for anything that stands out before the router reboot.
You can use "tail -f /var/log/messages" for example.
3. Disconnect all devices and computers and turn off all wireless devices. Connect your computer directly via ethernet, and monitor the situation.
4. Make sure to harden the router, for example, https://192.168.2.1/Firewall.asp block all WAN requests and limit ssh/telnet/snmp etc.

After that you can worry about upgrading to the latest beta version that works for your router.

Navigation

Jump to: