New DD-WRT user, home network and VPN, DHCP setup, wndr3700

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
arran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:46    Post subject: New DD-WRT user, home network and VPN, DHCP setup, wndr3700 Reply with quote
Hi all,

Apologies for the long first post.

I've just started on the DD-WRT journey with purchase of a Netgear WNDR3700 V1 router a few days ago.

DD-WRT Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r30385 std (08/12/16)

The install was straight forward, this guide was followed:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700

DHCP doesn't do what I want and I think DNSmasq will do the job but I don't know the best way to set it up.

I want to be able to switch between a VPN (PureVPN) established by the 3700, and a non-VPNed connection on my existing Billion 7800VDOX. The 3700 is connected to a port on the 7800 which has the phone line connection for the ADSL2 connection. 7800 is 192.168.1.254, 3700 is 192.168.1.253. The VPN is configured and working.

I want to simply be able to connect wirelessly to the 7800 and not use the VPN. If I connect the wireless client to the 3700 SSID I want to be in the VPN.

The problem is that the Billion device is the current DHCP server and will serve up a DHCP config with the Billion's address as the gateway. I need to manually set the client's IP details up with the .253 gateway to get the VPN. I'd prefer to just leave the client setup as a DHCP client, and have DHCP assign me the gateway based on which SSID I've connected to.

Is this achievable with DD-WRT?

Do I make the 3700 the DHCP server and create a VLAN for the 3700 SSID, and setup a DHCP scope for that VLAN with the .253 gateway?
Can I direct traffic from the 7800 to the 3700 based on VLAN, ie routing (this will be more of a question on the capabilities of the 7800 though).
Is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance,
Arran
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: