Netgear R6400 / AC1750

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
mgw2011
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Strange observation: changing the router's IP address to 192.168.11.1 provoked the errors described.
Sponsor
tweakradje
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
The best version for my R6400 is 30534 BS. Everything newer gives my trouble after a few days on the LAN side or with Dnsmasq.
I know KONG has R6400 but I wonder how long he let it run before rebooting again as it is his development device.

Cheers
mgw2011
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
tweakradje wrote:
The best version for my R6400 is 30534 BS. Everything newer gives my trouble after a few days on the LAN side or with Dnsmasq.
I know KONG has R6400 but I wonder how long he let it run before rebooting again as it is his development device.

Cheers

Thank you for the advise. Will try and are up and running on BS 30534 now.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
tweakradje wrote:

Cheers

It was my development device for about 30min, this is how long it took to port it. Since then it is my main router, thus only gets a reboot when I upgrade the fw and most of the time I skip one or two version on this unit unless there was a major change.

Longest uptime so far 16 days. In the past few months I had one issue where pppd had some hang and I had to kill it in console.

But I have never seen any LAN/Wireless issue on this unit, and I have 2 guest networks and usually 10 wireless devices connected at the same time. And the R6400 does not have anything special, that would make it different from R7000/R6300v2/AC1450 etc. and I don't see a lot of people complain. So far the std arm build 30645 has ~5000 downloads in 5 days.

I also have units with much older builds. 2 R7000 have 5 month of uptime with 29300.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
tweakradje wrote:

Cheers

It was my development device for about 30min, this is how long it took to port it. Since then it is my main router, thus only gets a reboot when I upgrade the fw and most of the time I skip one or two version on this unit unless there was a major change.

Longest uptime so far 16 days. In the past few months I had one issue where pppd had some hang and I had to kill it in console.

But I have never seen any LAN/Wireless issue on this unit, and I have 2 guest networks and usually 10 wireless devices connected at the same time. And the R6400 does not have anything special, that would make it different from R7000/R6300v2/AC1450 etc. and I don't see a lot of people complain. So far the std arm build 30645 has ~5000 downloads in 5 days.

I also have units with much older builds. 2 R7000 have 5 month of uptime with 29300.

Since there is no 29300 build for R6400 wich do you is closest one to it (stable wise) that is available for R6400?
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
gnutz wrote:
<Kong> wrote:
tweakradje wrote:

Cheers

Since there is no 29300 build for R6400 wich do you is closest one to it (stable wise) that is available for R6400?

So far I don't see any issue with the latest build R6400 is up for 4 days.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI, I had a crash today, after 5 days of uptime. The bad thing is it crashed exactly at the time I turned on my development machine, thus I have no dump. But I know that turning on the wired pc triggered the crash.

At last this gives me a clue how where to look, since the dev machine is hooked up via wire, I know there was no mem issue, as I checked yesterday.

Thus this crash is either in the ethernet driver, or still a problem with k4.4 and the broadcom platform code. Thus time to hook up a little debug box to the serial connector.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
@<Kong>
I'm afraid I'm totally at a loss now. Tried your latest build but WLAN stopped working. I am able to attach all devices but no internet and router's WebGUI not reachable from any device. Ethernet works fine.
mgw2011
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the time being I give up here... just digged up my old Linksys device a WRT610N I used to use as a bridge.

Any advice welcome. Logfiles etc on request.
gnutz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
FYI, I had a crash today, after 5 days of uptime. The bad thing is it crashed exactly at the time I turned on my development machine, thus I have no dump. But I know that turning on the wired pc triggered the crash.

At last this gives me a clue how where to look, since the dev machine is hooked up via wire, I know there was no mem issue, as I checked yesterday.

Thus this crash is either in the ethernet driver, or still a problem with k4.4 and the broadcom platform code. Thus time to hook up a little debug box to the serial connector.

I upgraded last night to 30645. I wired my pc to router and turned on, nothing happened. I'am still getting TX errors and drops on 2.4G but might be just my laptop drivers or something.

mgw2011 wrote:
@<Kong>
I'm afraid I'm totally at a loss now. Tried your latest build but WLAN stopped working. I am able to attach all devices but no internet and router's WebGUI not reachable from any device. Ethernet works fine.

You did erase nvram?
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="gnutz"]
<Kong> wrote:

I upgraded last night to 30645. I wired my pc to router and turned on, nothing happened. I'am still getting TX errors and drops on 2.4G but might be just my laptop drivers or something.

Intel Wireless? Make sure you have driver >= 18.x

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
You might have a defective unit or power adapter. I Bought my R6400 last November and I'd no issues whatsoever using the following firmwares: Tathagata 27261, Kong 29875M, Kong 30370M & Kong 30465M. Options I always change: CTS Protection Mode (off), Preamble (auto), Wireless GUI Access (off), 3 Static DNS, MAC Address Clone (on), 6 static DHCP, All services off except DNSMasq with default settings, Impede WAN DoS/Bruteforce all on, 1 device have Access Restrictions to WAN always denied, 1 rule Port Forwarding & 14 on Port Range Forwarding, QoS WAN using HTB with FQ_CODEL (on), Enable Info Site (off), Remote Access all disabled & Allowed Remote IP Range set to two local devices.

Notes: On DD-WRT I always reset to defaults using web-gui prior upgrading, after upgrade I reset holding the reset button & never use other fw version configs. Since I switched to Kong I'd Implicit Beamforming on until last firmware switched on Explicit Beamforming instead & started using QoS since 29875M on 08-03-16. The room temperature always below 80F, ceiling fan on & the router is pretty much standing in the air ventilation wise. 2 WiFi devices & 3 wired devices are usually on daily, 2 wired are always on. We sometimes do: local streaming, netflix, gaming, torrenting & VoIP.

Wireless:

Regulatory Domain (USA), Regulatory Mode (off) & TPC Mitigation Factor (off).

2.4G = AP-mode, NG-Mixed, Channel 1, 20MHz, Wireless SSID Broadcast (off), Optimize Multicast Traffic (off) & Bridged.

5G = AP-mode, AC/N-Mixed, different SSID, Wireless ch (auto), VHT80, lower-lower, Wireless SSID Broadcast (off), Optimize Multicast Traffic (off), Explicit Beamforming (on), Implicit Beamforming (off), Airtime Fairness (off) & Bridged.

Security = WPA2 Personal using AES.

Regards,

Nub

2016-09-25_221537_m.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.19 KB
 Viewed:  17716 Time(s)

2016-09-25_221537_m.png

2016-09-25_221407.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.86 KB
 Viewed:  17716 Time(s)

2016-09-25_221407.png

gnutz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

Intel Wireless? Make sure you have driver >= 18.x

Yes! I installed a newer version and no more drops for now and way less errors. Thanks!
mgw2011
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
mgw2011 wrote:
For the time being I give up here... just digged up my old Linksys device a WRT610N I used to use as a bridge.

Any advice welcome. Logfiles etc on request.

Alright... The old WRT610N router with a dd-wrt version from 2011 stopped working after 4 days with exactly the same symptoms. Very strange. Ping to router's address 10 sec and more. Error rate on 2.4 GHz rising steeply. Ethernet cable working (incl. Internet).

I've now flashed the original Netgear firmware and upgraded once to the latest version. So far no issues with the HW.

Will report back.
mgw2011
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
mgw2011 wrote:
Will report back.

It's been a while, however here we go:

After paralysis by analysis and several desperate actions on the router side my take is that the problems were caused by the client's Ubuntu NetworkManager. I've replaced NM with WICD https://launchpad.net/wicd and have a stable 2.4 GHz WLAN since.

The root cause of the issue appears to be an older bug in NM with WPA (re-)authentification see f.i. http://askubuntu.com/questions/131436/wifi-connectivity-problems-when-using-wpa-wpa2-encryption.

Despite the fact that the Netgear software run a little more stable, I was fighting with exactly the same issue (as described earlier) all the time. This means the 5 GHz connection worked fine and the 2.4 GHz connection was down 1-2 times per week and required a restart of the 2.4 GHz side of the router.

-mgw
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: