Asus RT-AC5300 Wired Ports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
JMon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:00    Post subject: Asus RT-AC5300 Wired Ports Reply with quote
I am running v3.0-r30631 std (09/14/16) on an Asus RT-AC5300. Everything seems fine if I connect wirelessly, but if I connect my laptop to a LAN port (turn WiFi off so not using two connections) it is not working. It will not get a DHCP address. If I manually give it an address I can not ping the router or get to the internet. If I plug in another device into a LAN port, printer with manual IP, I am able to ping that device by IP.

It feels like a VLan issue, and I see others mention running a swconfig command. I do not see swconfig on this build so I can not run that to test.

Again, if I connect wirelessly everything works fine, ping the router and connect to the internet. Note, when connected wirelessly I am able to ping the printer plugged into the LAN port, but it does seem a little slow to start a print job. I can not run a ping from the printer so I do not know if the printer can ping something connected through WiFi.

I did not change any VLan settings from the default. When flashing the router I did a 30-30-30 before and after.
Sponsor
Ah-Pin-Kor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should try Kong's build for the AC5300.
Someone mentioned the dhcp works
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1046754#1046754

Netgear R7800 kongpro 19.07 20190919 || Netgear R7000 36070M kongac (Client Bridge=5GHz, AP=2.4GHz with bridged VAP)
Linksys WRT32X davidc502 OpenWrt || Linksys WRT1200ACv1 Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 dd-wrt 39956
rommer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yup, Kong's builds will solve you issue.
oso97
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 23:52    Post subject: Intial Flashing - I must be missing something Reply with quote
I'm fairly experienced at using dd-wrt, but never on an Asus device, and from what I can tell, I'm missing something.

So, I'm trying to install dd-wrt on an Asus RC-AC5300 (currently running firmware version 3.0.0.4.380_3941), and I want to make sure I don't brick the thing. Can someone point me to a thread that discusses this process in detail, or failing that, help walk me through the process?

I've uncovered a number of references to needing to use some sort of additional tool for the initial flashing. But I can't quite figure out exactly what tool I need to use and which dd-wrt firmware for the initial flashing.

I've tried uploading Kong's latest build (dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_AC5300.bin) directly - got hit with an error in the Asus GUI that it was denied due to security standard (Invalid firmware, regulatory amendments compliance, etc, etc). I tried using the ASUS Firmware restoration tool - only to be told that the device is not in "Recovery Mode."

Appreciate any help that can be provided. If screenshots of what I've done would be helpful, I'll be happy to provide.

EDIT: I have looked through the various threads (including the Peacock thread) and I've found a bunch of references but no model-specific instructions. In case there ARE model-specific instructions, I humbly ask someone to point them to me, as I can't find them!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the first flash use this .trx file ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/12-15-2016-r30949/asus-rt-ac5300/
Then you can use the kong bin file. You can flash both through the GUI.
To put the router in recovery state, unplug the power, hold the reset button in then plug the power in and hold the reset button till the power led flashes. Then you can use the restoration tool or navigate to 192.168.1.1 to access the mini cfe server.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Much thanks.

I'll post this here to give the details of what got me working.

Reset router to hardware defaults

Navigate to 192.168.1.1

Under "Advanced Settings" and then "Administration" click on the "Firmware Upgrade" tab.

Upload the .trx file at ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/12-15-2016-r30949/asus-rt-ac5300/

Turn off power and turn back on

Connect to the wireless network "dd-wrt" (ethernet ports will not be working at this stage)

Upgrade to "dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_AC5300.bin" located at "http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/"
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't say to turn it off an back on after flashing. Lol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 14:23    Post subject: Lost the 2nd 5 GHz Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

first of all thanks for your experience and posts! Reading all of that I have managed to flash my router (accoring to oso97 last post with Malachi's advice) and understood some VERY basic things.

However I want to ask, if someone faced the following problem:
initially as I've flashed the thing, it gave me only one name for all 3 bands: dd-wrt. Then I have changed the names to dd-wrt 2,4; 5,1 & 5,2 (with appropriate frequencies). However I can only see the 2,4 and 5,1. There is 5,2 missing.
I have found this "solution", after some restarts & experimenting with the wireless network modes I don't know which way to go. Do you have any idea?

Data
Asus RT AC-5300, DD-WRT v3.0-r33675M kongac (11/03/17)

Upd: after reading thiseverything is well. I don't know what it was, but maybe interfering between the same frequencies, so what I did is:
wl1
AP/N-only 5/wireless channel 157-5,785 GHz/channel width wide ht40/extension channel upper

wl2
AP/N-only 5/wireless channel 149-5,745 GHz/channel width wide ht40/extension channel upper

maybe it will help some beginners...

Upd 2: nevertheless one of the 5 GHz radios shows almost 0 signal, and the other one - full bars. I'm still experimentig with them, however if someone has a solution I'd be grateful!

Upd 3:
settings with all full bars on all 3 radios
wl0
AP/NG-mixed/wireless channel 5-2,432 GHz/channel width 20 MHz/turbo QAM enabled
wl1
AP/N-only 5/wireless channel 36-5,180 GHz/channel width wide ht40/extension channel upper/explicit beamforming enabled
wl2
AP/AC-only/wireless channel 161-5,805 GHz/channel width VHT80 80 MHz/extension channel upper upper/explicit beamforming enabled

to get this I used the link of Kong & this one
zerophase
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
To get both of the 5ghz channels you just need to put each band on channels far apart. I also changed the extension channel to upper. I'm guessing auto should be able to handle this as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: