Apple's FaceTime QoS configuration

kitus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 0:21    Post subject: Apple's FaceTime QoS configuration Reply with quote
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could give me a hand configuring my dd-wrt router for proper FaceTime experience.

My current QoS configuration is created around these protocols:

bittorrent
sip
httpvideo
httpaudio
rtp
rtsp

Apple's KB http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4245 says:

Quote:
To use FaceTime on a restricted Wi-Fi network, port forwarding must be enabled for ports 443 (TCP), 3478–3497 (UDP), 16384–16386 (UDP), and 16393–16402 (UDP)”

Should I simply define a custom rule for these ports and assign them maximum priority?

thanks[/quote]
Sponsor
slukaric
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello kitus,

any luck with Facetime settings?
kitus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
slukaric wrote:
Hello kitus,

any luck with Facetime settings?

My environment is rather challenging as I decided to switch my ISP provider half a year ago, and decided to go for a cheapish WiMax connection. WiMax is somewhat unpredictable and unreliable, and that's the reason I've decided to start fumbling around with QoS. When my connection chokes (it usually happens a few times per day), I would like to allocate the remaining throughput, if any, to critical services or hosts. My alarm is the most important service, then my VoIP phone comes next, and then I try to allocate resources also for FaceTime, as it is my wife's preferred communication method with her family.

I could paste my current configuration but i can't guarantee it is correctly defined.
kitus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
rizla7 wrote:
solution: stop using proprietary apple junk. all your problems will disappear. Rolling Eyes
My problems will not disappear by shutting down FaceTime. FaceTime works just fine as long as my WAN connection does not flip.
scrmtrey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just add rules for these ports facetime is using. Do that for download and upload. Make sure it has at least high priority and the right protocol.

Ps. Facetime and facetime audio is better than skype (skype got crappy sound and some distorted sound). I am using it ob regular basis and it is working great no matter if the connection is 3G or wifi.
kitus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
scrmtrey wrote:
Just add rules for these ports facetime is using. Do that for download and upload. Make sure it has at least high priority and the right protocol.

Any idea as to which ports/rules I should add?
thanks
propagandhi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitus wrote:
scrmtrey wrote:

Any idea as to which ports/rules I should add?
thanks

Quite a few according to this list.

TP-Link Archer C9 v1 (build 44715)
Because it keeps on working, don't make it right.
facetime01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:47    Post subject: facetime helpfull tutorial for all of us Reply with quote
hello users i got a very useful tutorial for all of us you will love it. You can get all kind of solution from it just check it out facetime for pc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: