VPN Bonding Multiple Client Mode Wireless Connections

tigerseye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:38    Post subject: VPN Bonding Multiple Client Mode Wireless Connections Reply with quote
I'm currently using DD-WRT on a wireless router in client mode to connect to an AP at an apartment complex (internet access is only available via Wi-Fi) and provide internet access to multiple wired devices. I'm not limited to the number of wireless connections I can have, but each connection is artificially limited to 1 Mbps. Instead of connecting multiple devices with low-bandwidth wireless connections, I would much prefer a single high-bandwidth WAN connection.

I would like to continue using my router in client mode as I am now but establish multiple wireless connections with the AP and combine their bandwidths. It seems to me that this should be possible by creating multiple virtual network interfaces (with unique MAC addresses) and a VPN.

Ideally, I would like to accomplish this using an OpenVPN server at a data center that I would control. All of this would be completely transparent to the devices on my network and to any servers I connect to across the internet.

If I can't accomplish this with a single router with virtual interfaces for some reason, I would consider using a separate router for each wireless connection.

I haven't found a case where anyone has done exactly what I want to do, but I did find this similar use case:

https://www.simonmott.co.uk/2012/03/vpn-bonding/

His diagram is very similar to what I want to do:

The difference is I want to use multiple wireless connections (perhaps 10) established with one router instead of using two DSL modems.

Can anyone tell me if what I want to do will work and give me some specifics on how to set it up to get me started?
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think there is anything you can do besides setting up your own Internet link with an ISP instead of using the Wireless service from your apartment complex. Forget about bonding as it requires support from both ends using special communication protocol such as MLPPP (google for more detail). The experiment from simonmott won't work in your case as you don't have an outside server that connects to a fat pipe. Besides the approach requires multiple physical links to the Internet and apparently your apartment complex AP is using only 1 link to their ISP.
tigerseye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
I don't think there is anything you can do besides setting up your own Internet link with an ISP instead of using the Wireless service from your apartment complex. Forget about bonding as it requires support from both ends using special communication protocol such as MLPPP (google for more detail). The experiment from simonmott won't work in your case as you don't have an outside server that connects to a fat pipe. Besides the approach requires multiple physical links to the Internet and apparently your apartment complex AP is using only 1 link to their ISP.

I will have a remote server that connects to a fat pipe. I will set up an OpenVPN server on a cheap VPS at a data center.

I can use multiple devices connected to the network at 1 Mbps simultaneously, so I don't see why I can't establish multiple 1 Mbps connections between my DD-WRT router and my remote VPN server. As long as I can establish multiple connections and have the aggregate bandwidth, I don't think it should matter if those connections use the same physical link. Right?

Shouldn't this be possible?
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think probably only Simon, the writer of the article from simonmott can answer your question. Anyway, why don't you go ahead and try it out yourself. May be starting from 2 links first and build up from there. However, do you notice the red notice under requirement on the article from simonmott that said *NB, This article is now quite old. I’ve heard that newer versions of ifenslave break this now*

Good luck!
tigerseye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
I think probably only Simon, the writer of the article from simonmott can answer your question. Anyway, why don't you go ahead and try it out yourself. May be starting from 2 links first and build up from there. However, do you notice the red notice under requirement on the article from simonmott that said *NB, This article is now quite old. I’ve heard that newer versions of ifenslave break this now*

Good luck!

I'll probably give it a shot and see if I can get it working.

I saw the notice about ifenslave, and that's one reason why I was a little hesitant to jump right in without asking here first. Maybe I can find a way to get ifenslave to work or find a way without using it.

Thanks for your replies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: