Broadcast SSID Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
CrewAndrew
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 20:50    Post subject: Broadcast SSID Problem Reply with quote
Hello,
I have a Buffalo WHR-G125 with the Buffalo beta firmware dd-wrt.v24_vpn_whr-g125.bin. In the past, i've never broadcasted the SSID but instead manually input it on each computer and there hasn't been a problem when hiding the SSID. However both of the Windows (XP pro) computers wouldn't connect to this network. Each time after putting the right info into the computer (ssid and wpa key) i went to the spare that was wired into the router, broadcasted the ssid for a second then disabled it and it worked instantly--i didn't even have to touch the windows computer. I don't want to have to do that everytime. Any ideas as to where this is going wrong?
Sponsor
snolsen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have an answer to your question but, hiding the SSID doesn't really accomplish anything.
onix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hiding SSID is probably the first step towards some security w/o implementing WEP/WPA.

snolsen wrote:
I don't have an answer to your question but, hiding the SSID doesn't really accomplish anything.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
some security ?!

security through obscurity is NEVER security
it just makes YOU feel more secure - even though it doesnt really do anything for you

i mean if your neighbor, who doesnt know how to program their vcr has wifi - they wont be able to get on your network

but their kid, - is probably already surfing on it

1x WRT54G2 v1
2x BUFFALO WHR-G54S
2x BUFFALO WHR-G300N v2
1x BUFFLOW WHR-HP-G300N
1x La Fonera
FON Client Bridge tutorial
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: