Question about ddwrt settings to boost wifi speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
kqli06
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:19    Post subject: Question about ddwrt settings to boost wifi speed Reply with quote
Okay, so I have a quick question.

I have a Dlink DIR-615 Wireless N router that *should* support speeds up to 300Mpbs. My ISP recently doubled my internet speed to 50/50, but it appears my router is unable to reach those speeds (downloading something via direct ethernet is roughly 4.8MB, but wireless is still stuck at 2.2MB Confused). Any tips/advise on how I can tweak my ddwrt settings to improve my current wifi speeds? Or is my router pretty much maxed out and it's time to invest in something better?

Last edited by kqli06 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 23:06; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
well your router CPU is not great and not able to sustain
fast WAN to NAT translations, but for 50/50 i guess it must be ok... as i had 615 in the past it was capping WAN around 60Mbits/s
so for WI-FI settings try AES encryption WPA2, wide 40HT + channel 11 + lower, Short GI, Short preamble, NG mixed, Country domain Canada.. i do not use RTS/CTS protection..

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should use the domain that matches the country you live in. Some of the recent fcc issues stem from people skirting the law.
Also using wide 40ht is likely to cause trouble due to interference from neighbors, unless you live isolated it's best to keep the 2.4 band at 20ht.
Use channel 1, 6 or 11.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
The single best way to boost your speed is to choose an unused Wi-Fi channel. The site survey on the Status->Wi-Fi page is one crude way. Use the channel farthest from the ones on the top of the list. A better option is to use a free graphing analyzer like Wi-Fi Analyzer for Android or inSSIDer 3.1.2.1 for Windows. Nothing makes it more obvious that a 20Mhz Wi-Fi "channel" consumes five 5Mhz broadcast channels.

The DD-WRT Catfish thread is a good read for antenna selection and placement.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: