Just moved, Now WiFi Much Slower Than Wired Connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
lovallo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 20:18    Post subject: Just moved, Now WiFi Much Slower Than Wired Connection Reply with quote
Hello!

I have a WHR-300HP Buffalo Router that has used DD-WRT for years.

I just moved from West Coast Comcast to Chicago Comcast. When I use the buffalo router here the Wifi is really slow, and it was not in Cali. I am currently using the rented equipment and want to buy my own modem, so making sure the router wont be my weak point.

My concern is that here when I plug my Buffalo Router into the Comcast modem/router combo the WiFi sucks.

Speeds:
Comcast WiFi: 80 Mbps
Comcast hardwire: 90 Mbps
Buffalo DDWRT hardwire: 90 Mbps
Buffalo Wifi: 20 Mbps

I tried putting what is listed as the newest firmware on it (but it seems pretty old) : DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) std

I have tried changing the Network Mode to N only, and the Width to Turbo 40 Mhz. QoS is not activated. That is basically the extent of my knowledge.

I am asking: can anyone recognize the problem, recommend a next step for troubleshooting, or perhaps just tell me that it is old and I should buy a new router or something.

Please let me know what further details I can provide.

Thanks!

Alex
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since you posted in this forum, I'll assume you meant you have a whr-300hp2.
The newest firmware is from 2 days ago. ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/11-14-2016-r30880/buffalo_whr_300hp2/

I don't know if that would fix your problem or if that firmware won't brick your unit but it is the latest.
Also chances are that setting the channel at 40mhz might cause interference with those around you.
On the crowded 2.4ghz band, it's best to use 2mhz and the least used of ch 1, 6 or 11.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
No I definitely have a WHR-300HP no 2.

does that mean im in the wrong forum or what are you implying?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
lovallo wrote:
No I definitely have a WHR-300HP no 2.

does that mean im in the wrong forum or what are you implying?

Yes, wrong forum. Your router is an atheros unit. I will move it to the correct forum.

Might want to read this thread http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=958010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe your Comcast AP and Buffalo AP are using the same channel. Run a site survey on the Status->Wireless page to make sure you're using the least congested channel, either 1, 6, or 11.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 21:42    Post subject: Wireless Settings Reply with quote
Post a screenshot of the wireless settings page including the advanced checkbox.
Make sure to black out the MAC addresses before posting it.

Follow the recommended settings here: https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
un1versal
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:23    Post subject: Re: Just moved, Now WiFi Much Slower Than Wired Connection Reply with quote
lovallo wrote:
Hello!
Speeds:
Comcast WiFi: 80 Mbps
Comcast hardwire: 90 Mbps
Buffalo DDWRT hardwire: 90 Mbps
Buffalo Wifi: 20 Mbps

You cant be serious, surely?

A router's wifi doesnt care about what ISP it is, only about what technology is supported by its hardware and by the device that connects to that AP supports in terms of that wifi tech.

Also WIFI speed and distance are relative and both very dependent on environmental factors that may cause interference and reduce one of those or both. So, your house in postcode A, its build materials, and other radio interference from many sources of EM generating equipment (or even radio signals/frequency/channels generated by your or your neighbors own equipment) that these use vs House in postcode B and its build materials and other radio interference etc. (put is simple terms)

So now you know more or less the crude basics of radio signals, you can find out the reasons for yourself to the questions you ask by applying some of that scientific method of investigation and common sense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: