DDWRT TP-Link 1043ND v3 Poor LAN performance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Shai-Hulud
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:06    Post subject: DDWRT TP-Link 1043ND v3 Poor LAN performance Reply with quote
Months ago I bought a TP-Link 1043nd v3. Performance testing with stock firmware showed expected performance characteristics. I installed DD-WRT to it using the user provided firmware here in the forums before there was an official build.

The results were poor LAN performance. So, in attempting to revert back to stock firmware before there were a revert build I bricked my router. I shelved it and moved on.

Fast forward to this morning and I de-bricked my router and loaded DD-WRT v3.0-r30880 std (11/14/16). Again there is the problem of poor LAN performance.

My topology is utilizing a client bridge between two routers of the same model & HW version and is arranged thusly:

Debricked router & Cable modem in far bedroom ---> router using stock firmware in office

At the router running ddwrt I have a computer connected by LAN (eth1) & my cable modem on the WAN port (eth0).

At the router in my office running stock TP-Link firmware I have my main computer.

Testing has shown that I get about 8 - 9 MB/s dnloading data over the internet going from cable modem ---> ddwrt router ---> stock firmware router ---> eth1 connected computer

Copying files either way between office computer <---> eth1 on stock router <---> ddwrt router <---> computer on eth1 gives me...oh...an average of somewhere around 500KB/s.

If I bring both computers behind the stock router connected to its eth1 I can copy files between them at 9MB/s (or ~100Mbits/s).

So to summarize, I'm getting poor LAN performance on a TP-Link 1043ND v3 running ddwrt. I've ran two versions of ddwrt with the same performance characteristics. Running stock on the problem router results in expected performance.

Any help/suggestions/tweaks are greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
well i ve no idea why you need such a sketchy connection
usually in wi fi client mode its very delicate on resources and compatibility among the units.. if you don't like dd-wrt
you can revert back to sock firmware and keep using TP-Link
also with dd-wrt you don't have hardware NAT acceleration
so you are limited in a way... it pure miracle its working well at least as you describe it so either revert to stock of try something else as configuration may be replace one of the routers with proper Wi_Fi extender or power antenna or try to enter this commands in dd-wrt CLI interface and see the result...

swconfig dev eth0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev eth0 set apply

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 18:16    Post subject: WDS Reply with quote
If they are both the same model and same HW revision. Use WDS, much more stable.
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

The steps that are missing are:
Enable DHCP Server on WDS AP
Enable DHCP Forwarer on WDS Station (use address of WDS AP)
Set WDS Station Keep Alive command to reboot every 300 seconds if it can't find WDS AP (by ip address).

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
Shai-Hulud
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. I'll give that a try and let you know what I find out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: