Netgear 6400 Firmware Proper Version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gillam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:32    Post subject: Netgear 6400 Firmware Proper Version Reply with quote
Hello.

I've read a great deal of threads todaY. It's alot of info and I am thoroughly confused. The more I read the more confused I am becoming and just need a tad of help. I did read the three very important stickies and then I did some searching, the r6400 term only brings up a page of results though some arent necessarily relevant to first time flashing.

My only intention is to run YAMon which requires a 3rd party firmware. I was not in need of third party when i bought the router or I would have bought a more third party friendly, or at least third party supported router, I swear.

Router: Netgear r6400
Firmware Status: Always Netgear FW so far
Firmware: Neatgear official V1.0.1.12_1.0.11

These are pre-flash questions.

At first I had no idea about the wiki and went off the main page. This router is of course not supported according to that resource. Then I found the wiki but didnt know about the forums. There I found the r6400 is supported. Google searching led me to the forums and a post suggesting the FTP (11-14-2016-r30880) if your router isnt listed on the main page supported router list, and so I found the r6400 firmware there. Then I started searching and found the peacock thread and backwards from there the 3 stickies.

My confusion comes from not quite understanding k24 vs k26 and the 2008/2009 builds? in part and in general because of the continued reference to a single (universal?) ddwrt firmware when all I have seen is model specific for my router.

To wit, my models firmware (FTP) is current from November 2016. However the Broadcom forum says ignore everything else and use the firmware that forum suggests, only it keeps referring to these single (universal?) firmwares k24 and k26 from 2008 and 2009...

Do I use this FTP listed r6400 specific or find this single (uni) firmware and do I use the 24 or 26 variant of the single driver (if i can find it, i havent been able to) with my router?

I assume the 26 or maybe k3 as it states most new routers will use those, but the thing is there is only one version specifically for my router that I can actually find, the one from the FTP... so I assume the micro vs mega etc is also null?

One thread said never use the most recent firmware as newer does not mean better, though.

I cant seem to find an r6400 past those/that thread besides one in which Kong states from this year: no one owns this router and it isnt technically supported and wont be as keeping up with the newer devices is clearly time consuming until someone donates one because owned routers get supported faster...

I can follow instructions, I even get the peacock thread. DO NOT RUSH THIS, STEP BY STEP. Roger, roger. I even understand the tech mostly, but... I dont know which thing to flash from when to not destroy everything.

After I looked into the r6400 searches, I found that they referred largely to older(2015 starting with 26579 i think) firmware than the FTP ones I found by a year, or trying to put an r6300 firmware on a r6400 or issues running the aforementioned single firmware though they never make reference to k24 or k26 versions.

I know this thing doesnt happen by itself in a vacuum and a great many people are giving their time and efforts and it isnt their fault that I have gotten myself confused and I apologize for that. I appreciate those people and I thank them and ask respectfully for some guidance, which is greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cheers m8
i hope you are happy with your unit, R6400 is a little monster and its capable of many things... it can run Yamon with no problem as well it can handle decent WAN traffic..

here are most recent flash files
http://ddwrt-kong.clonevince.fr/

i have R7000 witch is very similar to R6400 currently i run next to last version but as far as i get my hands back to it i will update to last 30910

so to flash from stock firmware..
first reset to factory settings

second for first flash use file http://ddwrt-kong.clonevince.fr/30910/dd-wrt.K3_R6400.chk

enjoy your router....

personally i prefer Kong builds as they are a bit more stable than Brain Slayer builds... as well they have some nice features...

for more info on Kong builds

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/Supported%20Models
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/Readme.txt

and this is the Kong's personal site where all new updates come first
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
gillam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
Cheers m8
i hope you are happy with your unit, R6400 is a little monster and its capable of many things... it can run Yamon with no problem as well it can handle decent WAN traffic..

I am! It's been a great router so far.

Alozaros wrote:

and then flash with this build from web interface

This part was a tad unsettling. I waited for it to come all the way up and then I logged in and went to the upgrade area and picked the bin file and it started doing its thing. I choose reset to defaults after flash.

Pretty quickly it went cant connect on the web page.
Tried alot of stuff, couldnt figure out what was happening. Waited along time. Still had internet access on the connected machine.

Finally just reset the router and it came back up but I am unsure whether it took on the bin file.

I went ahead and set it mostly up to make it was secure and give the muggles access.

Re flashed the bin. All is well so far.

Moderator edit 03.23.2021:

I removed the inaccurate information and associated posts regarding the useless flashing of the .bin upgrade file after flashing the .chk file as it is *not* required. Please disregard the last half of this post above this comment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: