I can't install dd-wrt on WNDR3700v2... why?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
giurti
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 15:23    Post subject: I can't install dd-wrt on WNDR3700v2... why? Reply with quote
I have netgear WNDR3700v2, whit V1.0.0.6 version of original netgear firmware.
I try to install dd-wrt for a lot of time, but the router get on briked status.
Any time I unbrick it whit tftp procedure.

I use Netgear gui web interface, section: Maintenance -> Router Upgrade.
I tey to upload many file, like this:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/04-25-2016-r29519/netgear-wndr3700v2/wndr3700v2-factory.img
and
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/08-12-2016-r30385/netgear-wndr3700v2/wndr3700v2-factory.img

But the result is the same: brick.

What is my mistake?
Sponsor
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check this wiki: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700
giurti
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
Check this wiki: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700

Thanks,
I sow that link.
the procedure seems simple.
l upload the firmware file om netgear web interface: what else I have to do or check?
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried the unbricking as shown at the end of the wiki?
giurti
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
Have you tried the unbricking as shown at the end of the wiki?

Yes, I tryed to install the ddwrt firmware for 10 or 15 times, and for 10 15 times I had to unbrick with the tftp procedere. I do not have any problem to unbrick.
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you mean you brick your router after you flash it with the factory.img? Is your router the WV version and not NA version? Have you tried using tftp method to flash the factory.img to the router?
giurti
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
Do you mean you brick your router after you flash it with the factory.img?

Yes. After the end of flash procedure, the router goes to loop reboot.
js1662 wrote:
Is your router the WV version and not NA version?

I beleve it is WV version. I buy it in Italy. How can I check it?

js1662 wrote:
Have you tried using tftp method to flash the factory.img to the router?

Yes, but I do not sure. Tomorrow I try it.
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Netgear firmware that you used to unbrick the router, did you download it from Netgear's WV site or NA site and what version is it?'
giurti
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
The Netgear firmware that you used to unbrick the router, did you download it from Netgear's WV site or NA site and what version is it?'

It is WV.
I try to install the NA version of NEGEAR firmware: the web-gui shows a message to warning me that the version is different and the pre-installed firmware is WN.
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
How about tftp wndr3700v2-factory.img to the router? Have you tried that yet? Although the requirement for Netgear firmware version not later than v1.0.0.12 may not apply to WW version, to be safe, may be you should make sure the Netgear firmware that you used to unbrick the router is not later than v1.0.0.12.
giurti
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
How about tftp wndr3700v2-factory.img to the router? Have you tried that yet? Although the requirement for Netgear firmware version not later than v1.0.0.12 may not apply to WW version, to be safe, may be you should make sure the Netgear firmware that you used to unbrick the router is not later than v1.0.0.12.

I try now to flash wndr3700v2-factory.img with tftp. Wrong.

To unbrick, I use 1.0.0.6 version.

The only strange thing is this: after I unbrick, I find the same previous settings (es. wireless password), and not default settings: is it right?
giurti
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
My previous router (NETGEAR N300 with ddwrt) is damaged.
I bought the NETGEAR 3700v2 becouse I would install ddwrt firmware and replicate previous settings.
If I can't install ddwrt, I may keep the original netgear firmware, but there is only one feature that I don't know how to do.
I ask to help me to install ddwrt, or to implement the following feature on the original netgear firmware:

my netgear router is at home, and I configured a DMZ (I have a NAS into the DMZ). I don't want permit access to DMZ from all internet address, but I would restrict acces to DMZ from only my office IP address. In others words, I would restrict acces to my home-NAS from only my office, and would reject the accesses from others IP-addresses.

I can get this feature with ddwrt: I edit directly the iptable to implement it (the web-gui of ddwrt has a form ad-hoc to do it).
How can I do it with original netgear firmware?
houman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for a late bump, since I have a similar issue as the OP...

so I have not used DD-WRT since WRT54GL, and have been using two WNDR3700v1 (Gateway) and v2 (AP Extender) with netgear firmware.

Recently I decided to venture into third party firmware, and figured I'd give dd-wrt some try, since I really need OpenVPN client to work on the router.

I downgraded the v2 first to the oldest netgear firmware, and installed the dd-wrt for wndr3700v2 I got from here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700

But either the NA or worldwide causes the v2 go into reboot loop, and I'd have to use reset/tftp to unbrick. I did the 30/30/30 a few times as well...

I tried it several times with either img files and no go. I didn't try it on the v1 at that time since I didn't want to brick it either.

I then decided to put gargoyle and it worked... so wonder if I have a special v2 device that doesn't work with this particular firmware ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Houman
apolonio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:20    Post subject: My workaround Reply with quote
houman wrote:
Sorry for a late bump, since I have a similar issue as the OP...

so I have not used DD-WRT since WRT54GL, and have been using two WNDR3700v1 (Gateway) and v2 (AP Extender) with netgear firmware.

Recently I decided to venture into third party firmware, and figured I'd give dd-wrt some try, since I really need OpenVPN client to work on the router.

I downgraded the v2 first to the oldest netgear firmware, and installed the dd-wrt for wndr3700v2 I got from here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700

But either the NA or worldwide causes the v2 go into reboot loop, and I'd have to use reset/tftp to unbrick. I did the 30/30/30 a few times as well...

I tried it several times with either img files and no go. I didn't try it on the v1 at that time since I didn't want to brick it either.

I then decided to put gargoyle and it worked... so wonder if I have a special v2 device that doesn't work with this particular firmware ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Houman

I posted my fix a few days ago

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=306541

It involved using the serial console, but pretty sure if you downgrade to version 10.0.0.12 (or are already at that version or older) then go to an older version of DD-WRT then back up to the latest (I used R30880) it should work.
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:12    Post subject: Board ID Reply with quote
Try an older build for the WW Initial.
As an Initial Load the Newer versions of DDWRT are sometimes a little to large.

I would go with like a 2014 Version or earlier.

This is the case with many older netgear routers.

The WNDR3800 is similar and needs a smaller initial flash size.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: