Open VPN Help

moey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 0:33    Post subject: Open VPN Help Reply with quote
Hi guys

Hope you are all well?

I am having an absolute nightmare at the moment. I have my broadband with Sky and that is fine how it is however i decided that rather than using VPN on individual devices i would add it to a router on my network.

I bought a Netgear WNDR3700v4 and installed Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r30880 std (11/14/16) and got it all configured as it should be. the trouble i am having is that no matter what device is connected to it will not connect via OpenVPN unless i change the ipconfig on each device (wired or wireless).

So this is how it is at the moment:
Sky 10.0.0.1 - IP range 2 to 254 - Subnet 255.255.255.0
connects directly to: Netgear 192.168.1.1 - Range 2 to 254 - subnet 255.255.255.0 - Connected to switch which then feeds to AP's etc
Netgear has been given a static/reserved Ip on Sky as 10.0.0.99

by the looks of things, i think that NAT is enabled on both and possibly where my issues are coming from.

SO if i connect to the the sky router (wired or wireless i get internet access with no vpn (expected)
if i connect to the netgear router using DHCP settings i get no internet.

So in terms firstly of my iphone:
Leaving the settings alone on the iphone and letting it assign IP etc i get no internet access (see image named DHCP.png). However if i change to static and add the the field named Router to 10.0.0.99, i get VPN internet access (see image named static.png).

So my question is, how can i set on either router to automatically set the router IP as 10.0.0.99 rather than 10.0.0.1

I hope this makes sense.
Sponsor
moey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello again

Thank you for giving me a kick when needed.

I was over complicating things as it was getting to that point where my mind was going crazy.

So I reset everything and attempted to get a straight forward internet connection on the DD-WRT router. I was having issues at this point. **slaps forehead**

The network cable connecting the Sky router to the Netgear one was faulty and that was the reason I was having issues. After changing the cable I had internet access straight away.

I configured the SSID/WPA2 etc and had a functioning network. I then went ahead and set up my OpenVPN and hey presto...everything is working and VPN is working too.

Again, I really appreciate the time you took to reply back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: