Client bridge from AP (AC68U) running merlin to wr841N ddwrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
hy_tek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 22:54    Post subject: Client bridge from AP (AC68U) running merlin to wr841N ddwrt Reply with quote
Hello I am new here and wanted to introduce myself. I am not a newb to networking but a newb to DD-WRT and custom firmware.

I have an Asus RT-AC68U running Merlin wired as an AP for my wireless network. DHCP is off and it has a static IP of 192.168.0.250. This AP is connected to a TL-R470T+ used as my main DHCP router and my Gateway to the internet (192.168.0.1). What I am trying to do is use a TL-WR841N as a client bridge or wifi adapter connecting my non wifi computer to the network wirelessly. I flashed DD-WRT on the WR841N. I then researched how to hook it up in client bridge mode here in the forums. I have very carefully set all the wireless security and modes, SSID and WPA key, turned off DHCP, etc to match my AP router as instructed. I set both subnets to match the main router. Problem is I still cannot connect the two routers.

I have tried several different tutorials to set up a client bridge in DD-WRT and none of them worked. I am baffled at this point. Any help or pointing me to a tutorial on how to connect an AP to a DD-WRT router as a client bridge would be appreciated. I have read every one I think.
Sponsor
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 15:19    Post subject: Client Bridge Reply with quote
My first question would be:
Is the Firewall disabled on the Client Bridge?
Is both the Gateway and Local DNS on the Client Bridge set to the main Gateway (192.168.0.1 in your case)?
Verify wifi security settings to make sure they match perfectly. WPA vs WPA2, AES or TKIP, or Both, same password including capitalization, same channel, same SSID.

The most common one is that people often forget to turn off the firewall.

Which dd-wrt build number are you using? I personally always run the latest Beta, after reading the svn timeline (http://svn.dd-wrt.com/timeline) and the latest build thread here on the forums. Betas can be found here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: