Address Restrictions don't seem to block IPv6 sites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware
chris_oakes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 16:50    Post subject: Address Restrictions don't seem to block IPv6 sites Reply with quote
I have setup access restrictions to keep certain devices off the internet at night and everything works great as long as IPv6 is disabled. When I enable IPv6 and browse to an IPv6 device on one of the blocked devices I can still access the page without any restriction. Has anyone else run into this or am I not doing something right?

I am currently running:
Router Model: Asus RT-AC56U
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v3.0-r27805 std (09/11/15)
Kernel Version: Linux 3.10.87 #4602 SMP Thu Sep 10 06:28:14 CEST 2015 armv7l
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ipv4 and ipv6 uses different iptables. If you block the ipv4 address, the ipv6 address of the same machine will not be blocked.
simonykma
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there any tutorial that can guide me towards the configuration ?

Thanks
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try ip6tables -h
rudism
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same issue, on a Linksys Archer C7 v2 running v3.0-r30949 std (12/15/16). Access restrictions set to block all access are only blocking ipv4 traffic. I can still connect to, for example, google and youtube because they resolve to ipv6 addresses.

Does anyone know if there is a way to enable ipv6 on the router but disable it per device (based on MAC address or something)?
rudism
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I managed to answer my own question. By running this ip6tables command for each MAC address (and saving them to my firewall script in Administration->Commands) I'm able to disable ipv6 traffic to the devices I want to apply access restrictions to:

Code:
ip6tables -I INPUT -m mac --mac-source MAC:ADDRESS:HERE -j DROP

Visiting a site like ipv6-test.com from those devices show that only ipv4 traffic is working, which means access restrictions work as expected again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: