D-Link DIR-825 VLAN Setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
lk40
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:18    Post subject: D-Link DIR-825 VLAN Setup Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the D-Link DIR-825 supports VLANs on the LAN ports? There is no VLAN tab in DD-WRT. I have also tried using the command line, and still cannot seem to get VLANs working. I admit that I do not know the linux routing commands that well and have been researching for hours on the right commands to use to create VLANs.

I do not want to spin my wheels if the DIR-815 does not support VLANs, but if it does, I'm very comfortable with using the command line to configure my router.

I'm using:
D-Link DIR-825 Rev B
factory-to-ddwrt_NA.bin
r13637 (01/16/10)

I would like to create a separate VLAN for each of the 4 LAN ports, bridge them across a WDS connection to a second DIR-825 (having the same LAN port VLAN setup). The WDS connection is live and passing traffic (currently 4-5Mbps video stream for testing) over wireless N at 5GHz. Under the web gui Networking Tab I've configured "VLAN Tagging", "Bridging", and "Assign Bridge" on each of the routers, but this does not isolate each of the ports, at all. So, I researched the command line and found enough examples to give it a try.

Here's some of what I've tried so far to get a VLAN active in addition to what I entered via the web gui Network tab (see attached pictures):

nvram set vlan2hwname=et0
nvram set vlan0ports="5*"
nvram set vlan2ports="1 5"
nvram set sub_ifname=vlan2
nvram set sub_hwaddr=$(nvram get et0macaddr)
nvram set sub_proto=static
nvram set sub_ipaddr=10.0.1.2
nvram set sub_netmask=255.255.255.0
nvram set sub_mtu=1500

Also tried without the sub_ designation, but this didn't work either. Should I be using vconfig? Something else?

Am I heading down the right path? Any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Sponsor
lk40
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the scenario I'm trying to get VLANs running on. Basically, I'm creating 4 separate VLANs on the first router, connecting over a WDS connection, that over to the second router where I've mirrored the 4 separate VLANs. Why am I doing this? There actually is a business case for it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
ip/networking.asp
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I understand networking, just not used to the linux routing & syntax. I guess I'm just spoiled by the ease of use of the Cisco IOS configuration. Been doing that for more that 15 years.

Believe me, I understand the OSI model, layer 2 switching/bridging and layer 3 routing. Still remember a bit about IGMP and multicast routing (RPF).

So, I'll continue to learn the linux side of routing. Think I'll do a "before and after" diff of the config of a linksys WRT610 that does seem to support VLANs; at least from a gui perspective.

So the question still remains. Is the DIR-825 known to support VLANs?

Thanks.
JohnDoe303
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
lk40 wrote:

So the question still remains. Is the DIR-825 known to support VLANs?

Thanks.

Did you ever get an answer to this qustion? I'm currently interested in the 825 for transfer speeds but haven't found an answer myself. I think only Broadcom devices support the GUI tab in DD-WRT..
jjeff1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 18:36    Post subject: DIR-825 supports VLANs - yes Reply with quote
It supports VLANs when running openWRT, see my post on their forums. https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=121572#p121572

I prefer the dd-wrt interface, it's much better for someone who isn't much of a linux person, like myself. But I got everything working I wanted, save for SNMP.

I thought that openwrt and dd-wrt were based on similar codebase, so I imagine getting VLANs working on DD-WRT is possible, just a matter of priorities.
StevenDR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 13:36    Post subject: Re: DIR-825 supports VLANs - yes Reply with quote
jjeff1 wrote:
It supports VLANs when running openWRT, see my post on their forums. https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=121572#p121572

I prefer the dd-wrt interface, it's much better for someone who isn't much of a linux person, like myself. But I got everything working I wanted, save for SNMP.

I thought that openwrt and dd-wrt were based on similar codebase, so I imagine getting VLANs working on DD-WRT is possible, just a matter of priorities.

So is it already atm? (i have build 19519)
StevenDR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:13    Post subject: Anyone Reply with quote
Any update on this? There seems to be a new build (Januari 2013), but does this one support VLAN's now?
Mike7143
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looking for an update on this. User Drek said on his dir-825 rev B and on r23919 that there's a vlan settings page under setup/networking but he hasn't used it.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike7143
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found a post in the porting thread that said to go to http://192.168.1.1/Vlan.asp and the vlan page will come up. Anyone know if this is true and could test it if the existing tab is just the VLAN Tagging settings?
Mike7143
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got my DIR-825 the other day. It doesn't have a tab for VLAN but going to http://x.x.x.x/Vlan.asp DOES bring up the page where I can change port 4 from being on vlan0 to vlan 2 (vlan1 is WAN port). I can save this it seems, but the problem is that the Networking page, where I'd unbridge port 4, give it an IP address, and then turn on DHCP, is different.

On my old WRT54G I had used this video as a guide
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xip4lu_dd-wrt-creating-a-secure-and-separate-vlan-network_tech
but like I said, this D-link running 23919 has a different Networking tab, can't figure it out. It's like it's only showing the hardware interfaces, not the VLANs.

Any help?
Thanks,
Mike
Shader
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any news about HW VLANs in GUI?

Here is RTL8366SR (DIR-825 Rev B switch) datasheet:
http://www.redeszone.net/app/uploads/cdn/down/informacion/rtl8366s_8366sr_datasheet_redeszone.pdf
This switch definitely does support this.
Moreover, it is working fine through WebGUI in OpenWRT firmaware..
sychobob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 22:50    Post subject: How can I setup inter-vlan routing with the Luci interface Reply with quote
Hi!

I have created two vlan's: one is 192.168.10.1 and second one is 192.168.20.1 - If I connect a PC to each vlan, I am getting the proper IP address that was setup on the interface. Now from vlan 10.1 if I try to ping 192.168.20.1 it does not ping. From vlan 20.1 if I try to ping 192.168.10.1 it does not ping. Creating routes does not resolve the issue. On commercial router there is always a Inter-vlan checkbox that we can use if inter-vlan routing is needed but how can it be done Under OpenWRT?

Thank you!

My router is a D-Link Dir825 b1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: