Random Reboots TP-Link TL-WR841ND v9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
moogpunk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mile-Lile wrote:
enable syslogd and remote server (find it on ddwrt wiki) to see what is going on at the time of reboot...

do you use p2p?

As far as I can speak for myself, I haven an iPhone 6, MacBook pro, and a PS4 for personal use on the wifi.

My little sister is a heavy iPhone user, and she also plays minecraft. I don't think she sets up personal servers anymore, but I am not sure. Other than that, we're the heaviest users and no I haven't used torrents lately.
Sponsor
fizikz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mile-Lile wrote:
enable syslogd and remote server (find it on ddwrt wiki) to see what is going on at the time of reboot...

do you use p2p?

I have syslogd and remote server set up. It reports no errors, just typical handshakes, association/dissociations.

I'm not using p2p, and I don't think other users were using it much if at all either.
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I`m using Visual Syslog Server with the same typical handshakes. Up 5 days, 23 hrs. with no errors or reboots myself. I`m no gamer, but streaming tv and radio all day and VoIP phone.

TL-WR841ND v9 r30880 WDS AP
TL-WR841ND v9 r30880 WDS Station
moogpunk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
the 4/21 build has been treating me well so far, you guys might wanna try that one

edit: spoke too soon. i came home from work today and there was no router signal. only one led on the router and i had to unplug and replug. i don't have time for this anymore i am going back to stock firmware

Last edited by moogpunk on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:46; edited 3 times in total
niemasd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just wanted to add that I'm also having this issue. I was having the random reboot issue on "11-14-2016-r30880", and I just updated to "12-15-2016-r30949", still having the issue. It's a personal-use router with 2 laptops and a phone on WiFi and 1 laptop and a PS3 on ethernet, regular use (nothing intense)
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
After 8 days I have finally experienced a fatal crash which required a power down to come back. Fortunately I had Visual Syslog running. It happened while streaming "Slacker" radio. Can we gain any info from this log that might help explain the problems we are having with this model ? This screenshot was taken before rebooting.

TL-WR841ND ver.9 r30880 WDS AP
TL-WR841ND ver.9 r30880 WDS Station
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
why just that instead of the whole log? all that shows is a device deauthing at device's discretion, which could be a million different reasons

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I must not have it configured properly. This is all I am getting.
fizikz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, the screenshot is similar to the normal log entries I see. Those associations/dissociations are common, and not necessarily problems. Eg. client device moving in/out of range.

I have never seen any error message in the logs.
niemasd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've noticed that my router's reboots seem to be triggered when my Android phone connects to the WiFi. Specifically, I'll come home and use my laptop just fine, and then I'll remember to connect my phone to WiFi (I disable it when I'm out and about), and the moment it tries to connect, the router reboots. Not sure if coincidence or causal, but it's happened multiple times over the past few days.
fizikz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
niemasd wrote:
I've noticed that my router's reboots seem to be triggered when my Android phone connects to the WiFi.

I can't say whether the reboots coincide with Android phone connections, but I can say that Android phone connections don't always trigger reboots on the AP. There are 3 Android phones here that often connect/disconnect without (perceived) problems.
fizikz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
On r30880 I recently got almost 1 month uptime before another random reboot. Now I've upgraded to r31690 with 2 days uptime so far. Let's see how this goes.
fizikz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Over 20 days of uptime on r31722 with no random reboots. Whatever the issue was, perhaps it has been solved since r31690. Thanks devs! Very Happy
gadgetpig
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi All,

I actually have the TP-Link WR841NDv9 rolled out to a few clients as SMB access points. I'm using DD-WRT build 31825,and for basic use (no QOS/no USB/Wireless 20mhz only/Wireless Channel AUTO/WPA2-PSK AES only) it's been very stable with multiple wired and wireless devices in small office environments up to simultaneous 10 wireless devices (android & IOS phones/laptops/Sonos) and 10 desktops.

First thing to check, what power source is the router connected to? Direct or UPS? On UPS, try a non-battery backup AC port. Or bypass the UPS and plug directly to a surge protector. Also, check if you have a spare 12V/1AMP power cord from another device (network switch? or similar wireless device) to rule out of the AC brick/cord going bad.

Next,try either DD-WRT build 31221 or 31825 (use wired LAN to update or telnet method) and be sure to factory reset, and set using WPA2 AES only, 20MHZ only, No QOS, no USB to test. Make sure to set the wireless country code correctly.

YMMV, but if that doesn't work, revert back to Stock firmware, and if it reboots with stock, your unit might be defective.

stock firmware revert files below:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=85237&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Good Luck!
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: