General questions on BS builds & some frustration...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
MarCoMLXXV
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 15:58    Post subject: General questions on BS builds & some frustration... Reply with quote
I'm running Brainslayers DD-WRT v3.0-r31722 giga (03/21/17), kernel 3.10.105 #14218 (current build) and have been experimenting a lot lately. Everything is running smoothly, but I want moarrrrr.... I follow the changes in the SVN, update to every new build, but unfortunately not much info to be found on what the builds are exactly offering.

I tried installing OTWR(2) and Entware-ng, both without luck. I would really like to be able to explore more functionality, as I think there's way more capable with DD-WRT but how?

The Wiki is an outright disaster which doesn't seem te be kept up to date anymore (for years, I've found instructions which were last updated 7 years ago...), nearly everything I read seems incredibly outdated which basically means you have to triple check everything before applying the instructiond, before ending up with the opposite result of what was hoping for: added functionality instead of a crippled router.

I know Kong stopped developing for the R6300(v1) quite a while ago and am grateful Brainslayer didn't give up on the R6300v1 (yet) as I have no funds for a state of the art new router and the R6300v1 still suffices for now. I've expanded storage with 4Gb thumbdrive, so plenty of space to experiment. Ipkg list however gives a very limited amount of available packages and I can't seem to verify whether they will even run on K3, as information on the web seems contradictive.

But where on earth (or on the interwebs) can I find an overview of:

What functionality has already been included by Brainslayer? And are there any howto's available for those getting started. I've been using DD-WRT for over 5 years know, but haven't explored the other possibilities before and have been running one of Kong latest build for the R6300v1 for quite a while untill I recently took the plunge and switched to recent Brainslayers builds and have been following it's updates and providing feedback since.

Is DD-WRT (or just it's documentation?) slowly dying? Or just not accessible to new users anymore, due to a lack of working documentation?

Please point me in the right direction, Help me out here. I'd simply like to get the most out of it. And please, don't say 'Use the search' or 'Take a look at the wiki', as that's exactly where the contradictive information started in the first place...

I can't imagine I'm really the only one experiencing this... Question
Sponsor
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
It´s nowhere near of dying. Thing is that for not so advanced funcionality you have ddwrt wiki. For more specific stuff you would have to search for it on the forum or probably some site that has a guide on ddwrt. I agree that it lacks documentation or most of wiki it´s outdated since a lot of config is not done on CLI anymore.

But it is what it is, the simple changelog is not being taken care anymore since like more than a year but I understand it as a developer that it´s hard to maintain all kind of documentation in the long run. Even though for not sooo advanced usage is still very reachable for new users, so I disagree on that.

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/timeline

There is your changelog

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah you know what I meant
R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
MarCoMLXXV
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for both your replies, but as I mentioned in the OP: I follow the SVN daily. I use changedetection.com and get an e-mail daily with changes. I don't have an issue with the availability of the changelog, I have an issue finding out what's included in Brainslayers' builds by default. And I think it's a pity that there's no up to date documentation, and lots of contradictive (older) documentation. Sure, I agree, for newer devices there are up to date howto's to get one started, but it seems (to me, at least) that that's about it. As not everyone has funds to keep up to date anually with new devices and a large group of users still have dd-wrt capable devices lying around, gathering dust, I think it's a pity there's so much outdated info available. IMHO, if info is outdated or even contradictive, it should be removed from the wiki to avoid confusion. I don't have the nescessairy knowledge, otherwise I'd might even volunteer to contribute to maintaining the wiki.

As for the comment above that it's hard to keep the info up to date, especially at this pace when it comes to new releases, I fully understand and agree with you. But a basic feature list for every new milestone (?) release, with a quarterly (?) update of added functionality in the meantime, that shouldn't be to hard I think? Right now, I'm running a current dd-wrt build and besides the info the GUI provides, I have no idea what additional functionality it has behind the scenes... But hey, that's just my two cents. When I started using dd-wrt, the community felt much more 'open', well-documented, and that has somehow changed over the past years.
MarCoMLXXV
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone at least confirm I can safely follow the ipkg tutorial from the Wiki (https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ipkg) on Brainslayers current builds for the R6300v1? And add the recommended repositories for additional packages?

I'm running DD-WRT v3.0-r31722 giga (03/21/17) at the time of writing, with a 4Gb thumbdrive, /jffs mounted at the device itself, and the thumbdrive /dev/sda I have three partitions, Optware (512Mb), Swap (64 Mb) and the remainder (~3.1 Gb) labeled Data, mounted as /tmp/mnt/sda3/. See screenshot for details.

DD WRT build 31722 USB.png
 Description:
Screenshot filesystems
 Filesize:  163.79 KB
 Viewed:  2627 Time(s)

DD WRT  build 31722    USB.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: