Help with Fiber connection + DD-WRT router

silkstone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:34    Post subject: Help with Fiber connection + DD-WRT router Reply with quote
I recently got fiber installed in my house and it came with a crappy router (totolink F1) with and SFP connection for the internet.

I'm trying to bypass this router and connect using my R7000, but I'm having difficulty and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I've tried simply setting up the Totolink as a bridge and setting up my R7000 to connect using PPPoE, as this is how I was doing it when on ADSL), but I am unable to connect like this.

I've done a little reading around and read some posts that mention VLAN settings and VLAN tagging, though I can't say I fully understand VLANs.

By default, the totolink has VLAN disabled, but I was wondering whether it needed to be enabled (either on the totolink or R7000) in order to connect directly using the R7000.
If that's the case, does anyone know what VLAN settings I should be changing?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance anyone can provide.

VLAN is set to disabled by default

Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
well not many details about your ISP and this makes things not that easy, so you need someone who has a medium's skills i guess, otherwise no idea how to set up you connection...

so
option 1:call your ISP and ask them... its not a rocket science...
option 2:when ISP are using PPPoE you need to copy all the details and the most important ting is to mimic MAC address so find this funny router mac address and insert it to DD-WRT router make sure router's name and MAC address are copied correctly and then manually enter all the PPPoE details it should work..
option 3: you can bridge this funny ISP router witch is easy or use its LAN ports to connect to WAN on DD-WRT router, but this is not very practical i guess...cause you will end with double NAT in the second case...
p.s. if VLAN's are not turned on and you have internet on this funny ISP router than you dont need them at all

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
silkstone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
well not many details about your ISP and this makes things not that easy, so you need someone who has a medium's skills i guess, otherwise no idea how to set up you connection...

so
option 1:call your ISP and ask them... its not a rocket science...
option 2:when ISP are using PPPoE you need to copy all the details and the most important ting is to mimic MAC address so find this funny router mac address and insert it to DD-WRT router make sure router's name and MAC address are copied correctly and then manually enter all the PPPoE details it should work..
option 3: you can bridge this funny ISP router witch is easy or use its LAN ports to connect to WAN on DD-WRT router, but this is not very practical i guess...cause you will end with double NAT in the second case...
p.s. if VLAN's are not turned on and you have internet on this funny ISP router than you dont need them at all

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the ISP don't know anything about their setup (over the phone at least) and the person who installed it only knows how to set up the ISP router. It doesn't help that I live in Vietnam and find it difficult to communicate overly technical details.
What information do I need to get from them exactly that isn't in the router configuration pages?

I tried to clone the MAC address of the ISPs router, but to no avail.

I am running a double NAT at the moment with port forwarding rules on each as a workaround, but obviously it's not ideal. I'm trying to figure out how it works so I can set it up correctly and I've spent a couple of days reading blogs and threads to no avail.

Would just getting hold of a media converter to do optical > ethernet make things any easier?

The ISP is SPT if that's any help. The service I am subscribed to does not give a static DNS and login is based on PPPoE
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
so did you try to configure pppoe settings on DD-WRT router
i use BT infinity in UK witch has pppoe and my settings are based on BT infinity pppoe details, cloned MAC address and router name(i believe this in not necessary), and the same WI-FI SSID name like ISP router and that's all

notice i do not use BT router, i use DD-WRT unit instead !!
also you can probably bridge your ISP router and there will be no NAT...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=950335
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Debugging_PPPOE_Problems
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: