Basic DD-WRT Install FAQ for WRT1900AC?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was a lot of discussions lately about safest way to upgrade the WRTs and I believe that direct upgrade from DDWRT is much better and safer way except 3200.
Here is comments from Kong: "Well I flashed these wrts at least 50 times and never had any problem, the "flash from linksys fw myth" must be something from the early days when there were still bugs in the flash routine for these models".
I flashed 100 times from ddwrt directly during last two years and it was absolutely fine and safe. I hate Lnksys software and even scare to switch there and flash from stock.
You can always flash back to crappy Linksys using Kong DDWRT to factory file but i dont think that user will use it except for testers, programmers and so on. DDWRT is better and faster now than any other 3rd party and you can keep ddwrt on both partitions.
Its my opinion and experience only but you can always select whats better and more reliable and comfortable way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:26    Post subject: Re: Basic DD-WRT Install FAQ for WRT1900AC? Reply with quote
jsebean wrote:
Premable
I'm new to it too but it's not hard to figure out. If you read the long thread it's not hard to figure out, read it backwards... I didn't have to go far to figure it out... but I'll write what I learned here the last couple days anyway, here's your newbie how to guide for all WRT1900AC units Cool

Installing DD-WRT
1. Visit the DD-WRT FTP to get the latest BS build, pick the year (2015), pick the current build (the latest is 12-01-2015-r28397) and find your current WRT1900AC (Just press Ctrl+F, type in wrt1900ac since there's a lot of routers in the list... it begins with linksys-) and pick the model you have (it currently shows the ac, acs and v2).
2. Download the factory-to-ddwrt.img
3. Login to the router stock firmware at 192.168.1.1 (or whatever address you have it configured as) and click connectivity on the side. There will be a way to upload firmware called "Manual". Choose the img file you downloaded and click start. You will get a few warnings... just say yes and let it upload. The router will reboot eventually and you'll need to navigate back to 192.168.1.1 (The screen will show waiting... but it will be waiting forever until you renavigate).

Congratulations. You just installed DD-WRT. You can now go from there and setup your user/password and configure your router.

I read somewhere to upgrade to a newer build you should return back to the stock firmware and upgrade from there rather than using the DD-WRT interface so you don't overwrite the partition stock is on. Doing so would make it harder to recover the unit in the event of misconfiguration or if a setting bricks the unit.

Booting back to stock from other patition
When you install DD-WRT over stock, it installs on a different partition. You can use the following command by entering it in DDWRT commands on the administration tab, Telnet or SSH to determine what partition DD-WRT is running on.
Code:
ubootenv get boot_part

The last number it returns is the partition (it will return 1 or 2). In my case, DD-WRT is on partition 1, so to return to Stock, enter (If yours returns 2, put 1):
Code:
ubootenv set boot_part 2

and then reboot. You can use the command
Code:
reboot

To reset and boot to stock if you brick DD-WRT installation
1. Assuming the router is on, turn it off.
2. Turn it back on... the power light will illuminate and then go out briefly as it prepares to boot. As soon as it goes out, turn it off again. Repeat this step three times, leaving the router on after the third time you turn it off.
3. Let it boot. It should return to stock after you let it boot.

Hope this is helpful now and for future reference. If there is anything confusing just reply and I can attempt to clarify. If anyone feels anything here is wrong or incorrect let me know and I'll edit it or moderators can update it. Very Happy

Thanks a lot for this information.

I installed latest kong build and noticed my AC wifi speed are not as good as they are with Linksys firmware. I went back to default firmware
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
DDWRT is much better and faster and more stable now than any other software. You can try to load the latest Brainslayer build and also try to use specific channel like 149 upper instead of Auto and please check environment using InSSIDer,channel width 80 MHz, WPA2 personal AES, short preamble and so on.
americanninja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:20    Post subject: unable to revert to stock firmware Reply with quote
Hoping someone here can help. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is going on. I'm simply trying to revert to stock Linksys firmware for my wrt1200ac v2.

the stock firmware doesn't seem to take. It looks like it is taking, but once the router comes back from reboot, im presented with the darn dd-wrt screen. It's like it's just ignoring the flash process completely.

I have done the set to see which partition I'm on. I was on partition 2 at first running dd-wrt, I then set partition to 1 and did a reboot. Again I was presented with dd-wrt, so I assume dd-wrt is flashed on both partitions.

So I switched back to partition 1 tried updating firmware with the stock image from linksys website (http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=156197). I used the version 2 file.

It looks like its taking, but the time of processing is very quick. It moves from the updating firmware screen to the flashing firmware to rebooting quite quickly.

So I wonder if it's not even bothering to do the flash. Anyway, after the router comes back from reboot, it displays dd-wrt. I have tried setting the boot partition to 1 and 2 rebooting and flashing. Nothing seems to have a different result. Same thing, stuck with dd-wrt still running.

I really want to get this router back to stock, any idea what is going on and how to get this thing to take the stock firmware.

Also, I was going to try using the kong file to revert to stock, but it seems that entire folder is missing from his ftp site now. Anyone have a link to those files hosted somewhere else???
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:44    Post subject: Re: unable to revert to stock firmware Reply with quote
americanninja wrote:
Hoping someone here can help. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is going on. I'm simply trying to revert to stock Linksys firmware for my wrt1200ac v2.

the stock firmware doesn't seem to take. It looks like it is taking, but once the router comes back from reboot, im presented with the darn dd-wrt screen. It's like it's just ignoring the flash process completely.

I have done the set to see which partition I'm on. I was on partition 2 at first running dd-wrt, I then set partition to 1 and did a reboot. Again I was presented with dd-wrt, so I assume dd-wrt is flashed on both partitions.

So I switched back to partition 1 tried updating firmware with the stock image from linksys website (http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=156197). I used the version 2 file.

It looks like its taking, but the time of processing is very quick. It moves from the updating firmware screen to the flashing firmware to rebooting quite quickly.

So I wonder if it's not even bothering to do the flash. Anyway, after the router comes back from reboot, it displays dd-wrt. I have tried setting the boot partition to 1 and 2 rebooting and flashing. Nothing seems to have a different result. Same thing, stuck with dd-wrt still running.

I really want to get this router back to stock, any idea what is going on and how to get this thing to take the stock firmware.

Also, I was going to try using the kong file to revert to stock, but it seems that entire folder is missing from his ftp site now. Anyone have a link to those files hosted somewhere else???

You can try this Kong's DD-WRT to stock I am attaching, that should get you to where you can update to the newest stock for the V2 from within the Linksys GUI (that way you would end up with stock on both partitions).You may need a hardwired computer to the router after using the flash to stock, as the V1 and 2 read the wireless settings from different places.

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
americanninja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:49    Post subject: Kong Firmware for WRT1200AC v2 Reply with quote
Thanks ATHF!

Also, I was lucky enough to come across this FTP site, which appears to be a mirror of Kong's and other sites.
Thought I would share it. http://source.wifihell.com/3-DD-WRT-KONG/K3-AC-MVEBU/

I was able to get back to stock linksys firmware. But I would still like to get DD-WRT running on this router, as the sole purpose of buying it, was that I read reviews of people getting > 60Mbps over PIA VPN due to the powerful CPUs in this router. My E4200 was only giving me like 6Mbps max.

I want to try the Kong build, but don't see the WRT1200AC V2 (note the V2) firmware in the repository. Does anyone have a copy of this file that they can share?

I just tried flashing OpenWRT, and got that working, but performance was very bad. Without going through VPN i get 80Mbps down and 30Mbps up. over VPN I was getting around 20Mbps down and .08Mbps up, so something is wrong in the config, but since I can't find enough articles online talking about PIA and OpenWRT, I decided to just give up and go back to sticking with DD-WRT.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:25    Post subject: Re: Kong Firmware for WRT1200AC v2 Reply with quote
americanninja wrote:
Thanks ATHF!

Also, I was lucky enough to come across this FTP site, which appears to be a mirror of Kong's and other sites.
Thought I would share it. http://source.wifihell.com/3-DD-WRT-KONG/K3-AC-MVEBU/

I was able to get back to stock linksys firmware. But I would still like to get DD-WRT running on this router, as the sole purpose of buying it, was that I read reviews of people getting > 60Mbps over PIA VPN due to the powerful CPUs in this router. My E4200 was only giving me like 6Mbps max.

I want to try the Kong build, but don't see the WRT1200AC V2 (note the V2) firmware in the repository. Does anyone have a copy of this file that they can share?

I just tried flashing OpenWRT, and got that working, but performance was very bad. Without going through VPN i get 80Mbps down and 30Mbps up. over VPN I was getting around 20Mbps down and .08Mbps up, so something is wrong in the config, but since I can't find enough articles online talking about PIA and OpenWRT, I decided to just give up and go back to sticking with DD-WRT.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately that site has pretty old Kong firmware. Over a year old. Is good for getting his back to factory flash though.
--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anybody know the Linux commands for checking the flash partitions?
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I know. Any idea why Kong took down the FTP files? His FTP site is still up with other files.

Just hoping someone comes across this thread and can recommend a firmware for the wrt1200ac v2.
Noam75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Guys,
I'm somewhat of a novice here but one with a bit of experience.
Updating for me is sort of a big deal if it means putting in all new settings, connecting all devices, parental controls and the dreaded task of getting my wife's piece of junk HP Printer back online.
However, I will start from scratch if there's a chance I brick it (No serial cable right now).
But it occurred to me--why aren't we doing a fresh install from stock then using the backup/restore option in DDWRT to get our setup back?
Does that only restore the previous build? (not old settings to our newly updated build?)
Apologies if someone's already mentioned this and I missed it.
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:
Anybody know the Linux commands for checking the flash partitions?

Why don't you look up a couple of posts?

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
hawkway
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since this is the topic for the tutorial on installing, I was wondering if someone could tell me how get the latest BS build files. I've tried going to the ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/ link in the original post but can't seem to find the latest builds.
cedgex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quick question here: everything I hear about wrt1900ac works for wrt1900acs as well or not at all? the main difference between both is CPU (1.6 vs 1.2) and RAM (512 vs 256).
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
cedgex wrote:
Quick question here: everything I hear about wrt1900ac works for wrt1900acs as well or not at all? the main difference between both is CPU (1.6 vs 1.2) and RAM (512 vs 256).

not as far as I know.

WRt1900ACv1 and V2 are totally different to the "ACS".
WRT1900ACv1 has 1.2, while WRT1900ACv2 has 1.6, similiar to the "ACS".
But you cannot run the same firmware.

LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
hawkway wrote:
Since this is the topic for the tutorial on installing, I was wondering if someone could tell me how get the latest BS build files. I've tried going to the ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/ link in the original post but can't seem to find the latest builds.

May 3 is the latest.

There are some more recent test images BS has provided on the WRT3200ACM topic.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 14 of 19
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: