"Apply Settings" - What does it actually do?

incidentnormal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:41    Post subject: "Apply Settings" - What does it actually do? Reply with quote
This is a general question, as I imagine it's common across all DD-WRT builds and models, as it seems like a fundamental aspect of the implementation.

So on most modern routers, you can update most settings "on the fly" - i.e. you won't experience any interruption in service/connectivity to clients if you say, change a port forwarding value on the router.

On DD-WRT it seems like when you select "Apply Settings", it resets all router subsystems which causes (amongst other things) clients to disconnect/reconnect and so forth. Clicking "Save" obviously doesn't actually activate the changes you've made.

Is it common practice to aggregate all Saved changes until a point where a connectivity interruption is deemed OK and then "Apply Settings" then? Or is there another way to change settings on the router without causing all subsystems to restart?

Thanks,
D

[Note to mods: Apologies if this is actually not a "general" query after all, I don't know enough about the differences between builds to know whether this could be chipset/build specific behaviour or general behaviour across all versions, but I made my best guess]
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: