D-LINK DIR-860L B1 router

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
zoomio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi guys,

So i did my test as well and up today such latest DD-WRT firmware don't work at all on D-link DIR-860L router:
r31690
r31722
r31791
r31825

The one which works is r31571, but like many mentioned in this topic, the speed of 5Ghz WI-FI is slow and for me it's on 30% slower than 2.4GHz.

Has anybody fixed the problem with DD-WRT firmware so far?
Sponsor
Ntemis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello, am looking for a factory eeprom backup partition image for the wifi chip calibration data. Anyone able to provide me one?
Thanks in advance.
radmir
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ntemis wrote:
Hello, am looking for a factory eeprom backup partition image for the wifi chip calibration data. Anyone able to provide me one?
Thanks in advance.

You can use this original binaries to make eeprom partition. MT7602E OFFSET = 0x34000, MT7612E OFFSET = 0x36000.
Ntemis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
radmir wrote:
Ntemis wrote:
Thanks in advance.

You can use this original binaries to make eeprom partition. MT7602E OFFSET = 0x34000, MT7612E OFFSET = 0x36000.

What do you mean?
how compine and flash those?
i only need one image to flash is difficult to extract yours from a working system and post it here?
radmir
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ntemis wrote:
is difficult to extract yours from a working system and post it here?

Yes. I don't use stock fw.
labrok
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
zoomio wrote:
hi guys,

So i did my test as well and up today such latest DD-WRT firmware don't work at all on D-link DIR-860L router:
r31690
r31722
r31791
r31825

The one which works is r31571, but like many mentioned in this topic, the speed of 5Ghz WI-FI is slow and for me it's on 30% slower than 2.4GHz.

Has anybody fixed the problem with DD-WRT firmware so far?

neither DD WRT nor Lede has fixed this 5Ghz issue with this router, my opinion is to use factory firmware or else you will have an expensive router with just 2.4 GHz broadcasting! 5Ghz sucks so hard that makes the router unusable on All Custom firmwares!
Pr0xiMUS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Really have to thank @radmir for preparing padavan firmware for our d-link dir-860L B1! Router is now really really fast and 5Ghz WIFI is working as expected. Finally stable and capable software for this mighty device. I couldn't install padavan fw from dd-wrt so I recommend to use LADE (ex OpenWRT) as you can see below in the post.

I've packaged required files and uploaded them here:
Code:
https://mega.nz/#!FxcRzK6D!UxFExlWphPZJb4y5w1NGxHE2G3lmEL4k4vKQmbutaI8

1. Revert to stock D-LINK firmware via recovery firmware upgrade page

2. From stock firmware, upgrade to LADE 17.1 and then install usb support packages (opkg install /path/to/*ipk). Write down MAC addresses of LAN, WAN, WIFI_2G, WIFI_5G, you'll need it later.

3. Prepare USB flash drive with FAT32 partition (not exFAT, be careful) and copy @radmir padavan fw for dir-860l b1

4. Connect to telnet/ssh and mount usb flash drive and flash firmware:
mkdir /mnt/media
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/media
cd /mnt/media
mtd -r write DIR-860L_3.4.3.9-099.trx firmware

5. Connect to console via telnet/ssh and flash mtd2.bin:
After reboot you will see ASUS wifi network, try to connect. At this stage firmware is very unstable, unit is slow and network is not working reliable. Default login is admin/admin and wifi pass is 1234567890 (check padavan fw pages for more info: https://bitbucket.org/padavan/rt-n56u/wiki/EN/FAQ). BE patient, get the console, mount /dev/sda1 and issue this command:
mtd_write write -r mtd2.bin "Factory"

6. Restore MAC addreses using lan_eeprom_mac, wan_eeprom_mac, radio2_eeprom_mac and radio5_eeprom_mac. Reboot

7. Done! Now everything should work smoothly.
Huck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes an excellent firmware a very big thankyou once again to Radmir.

As pointed out, its an unusual flashing procedure. Mostly because LEDE has missing usb drivers, buggy vlan and removed telnet support. I had to use ssh to load padavan.

Once padavan was loaded, I had to switch to telnet and use a wifi connection to flash the final mtd2.bin. I couldn't do it over ethernet, it wouldn't connect? I connected with 2.4ghz wifi. Its laggy without the mtd2.bin. As Pr0xiMUS mentioned it takes some patience but it'll load.

I had a problem with mac address's. I only found 3 separate mac's. lan wan and radio wifi. The other radio, depending on the firmware shares the same mac with lan.

For example on lede, 2.4ghz shared it with lan mac. On dd-wrt 5ghz shared it with Lan mac.

Anyone else notice this?
gi-aif
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Huck wrote:
Yes an excellent firmware a very big thankyou once again to Radmir.
Sure enough, it's a great job.

Quote:
As pointed out, its an unusual flashing procedure. Mostly because LEDE has missing usb drivers, buggy vlan and removed telnet support. I had to use ssh to load padavan.

Once padavan was loaded, I had to switch to telnet and use a wifi connection to flash the final mtd2.bin. I couldn't do it over ethernet, it wouldn't connect? I connected with 2.4ghz wifi. Its laggy without the mtd2.bin. As Pr0xiMUS mentioned it takes some patience but it'll load.

I had a problem with mac address's. I only found 3 separate mac's. lan wan and radio wifi. The other radio, depending on the firmware shares the same mac with lan.

For example on lede, 2.4ghz shared it with lan mac. On dd-wrt 5ghz shared it with Lan mac.

Anyone else notice this?
I have the same symptom. Flashed to padavan from dd-wrt.

With DD-WRT :
wl1_hwaddr=90:8D:78:23:XY:z2
lan_hwaddr=90:8D:78:23:XY:z0
wan_hwaddr=90:8D:78:23:XY:z1
wl0_hwaddr=90:8D:78:23:XY:z0

Padavan Access-point mode without correcting mac addresses:
/home/root # ifconfig|grep HWaddr
br0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:43:76:nn:58
eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:43:76:nn:58
eth3 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:43:76:nn:76
ra0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:76:21:48:rr:02
rai0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:76:21:48:rr:04
/home/root #
Huck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
radmir wrote:

Updated mtd2.bin to default D-Link EEPROMs.

I started using your builds not long after you released them. I think I may be using the original or 1st mtd2.bin you posted. I just realized you had a updated mtd2.bin to dlinks default eeprom quite awhile ago.

Should I change it to the updated mtd2.bin are there big differences?

Again thanks for your builds. It makes this quite a special little router. Just like your efforts did to the n750.
whackamole
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pr0xiMUS wrote:
Really have to thank @radmir for preparing padavan firmware for our d-link dir-860L B1! Router is now really really fast and 5Ghz WIFI is working as expected. Finally stable and capable software for this mighty device. I couldn't install padavan fw from dd-wrt so I recommend to use LADE (ex OpenWRT) as you can see below in the post.

I've packaged required files and uploaded them here:
Code:
https://mega.nz/#!FxcRzK6D!UxFExlWphPZJb4y5w1NGxHE2G3lmEL4k4vKQmbutaI8

1. Revert to stock D-LINK firmware via recovery firmware upgrade page

2. From stock firmware, upgrade to LADE 17.1 and then install usb support packages (opkg install /path/to/*ipk). Write down MAC addresses of LAN, WAN, WIFI_2G, WIFI_5G, you'll need it later.

3. Prepare USB flash drive with FAT32 partition (not exFAT, be careful) and copy @radmir padavan fw for dir-860l b1

4. Connect to telnet/ssh and mount usb flash drive and flash firmware:
mkdir /mnt/media
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/media
cd /mnt/media
mtd -r write DIR-860L_3.4.3.9-099.trx firmware

5. Connect to console via telnet/ssh and flash mtd2.bin:
After reboot you will see ASUS wifi network, try to connect. At this stage firmware is very unstable, unit is slow and network is not working reliable. Default login is admin/admin and wifi pass is 1234567890 (check padavan fw pages for more info: https://bitbucket.org/padavan/rt-n56u/wiki/EN/FAQ). BE patient, get the console, mount /dev/sda1 and issue this command:
mtd_write write -r mtd2.bin "Factory"

6. Restore MAC addreses using lan_eeprom_mac, wan_eeprom_mac, radio2_eeprom_mac and radio5_eeprom_mac. Reboot

7. Done! Now everything should work smoothly.

Thank you very much for this. Pretty tough process but somehow I got through it. I had the same issue that others stated in seeing duplicate mac addresses in lede. I ended up grabbing the mac addresses from dd-wrt, then recover to stock Dlink to start the process.

One thing to note is the VPN client in Padavan has been impossible for me to configure and I gave up after a dozen or so tries. It's still a much more useful firmware, so I'll set up a different vpn router.
radmir
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Huck wrote:

No if wifi is ok. Second mtd2.bin made of stock eeproms and has no any garbage compared to first one.
Thanks for feedback.
Huck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
radmir wrote:
Huck wrote:

No if wifi is ok. Second mtd2.bin made of stock eeproms and has no any garbage compared to first one.
Thanks for feedback.

I went ahead and flashed the newer mtd2 anyway and its been fine as well.

Very stable, never needs a reboot. I love this router with padavan firmware. A Big thanks

Could you possibly help out with the confusion with the factory mac addresses? Like the others I too only found 3 macs with lede/dd-wrt. br0/lan and wan and radio. Actually all seemed to follow the label with a difference by one letter
for example: if the label said mac= xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xc the order was:
xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xc
xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xd
xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xe

At the time for the shared mac, on say radio5 I just followed the pattern and made it xx.xx.xx.xf and its worked fine no problems.

Is there a way to check for factory mac's from eeprom? Or should I just not bother if its all working well?

I don't know if anyone has noticed. But 2.4ghz with padavan seems to report a lower dbi but was actually almost double my old n750's bandwidth at the same location. While the latest lede firmware reported full bars at the same location with 2.4ghz.

Is this potentially just a simple wifi polling irregularity?
Its a very stable 2.4ghz connection no disconnects and strong transfer even with the lower bars. I just thought I would mention it.
radmir
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Huck wrote:
Or should I just not bother if its all working well?
Yes in my opinion.
Quote:
2.4ghz with padavan seems to report a lower dbi but was actually almost double my old n750's bandwidth at the same location. While the latest lede firmware reported full bars at the same location with 2.4ghz.

Is this potentially just a simple wifi polling irregularity?
Its a very stable 2.4ghz connection no disconnects and strong transfer even with the lower bars. I just thought I would mention it.
No idea. I have better signal than with SWR1100 and DB750. Does your client support QAM256 and LDPC? Maybe in this case values can be different.
labrok
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 20:00    Post subject: please post a final guide without any changes on the way Reply with quote
Because here are many non english speaking people who really want to try this firmware, but its impossible to us to follow all those posts, is it possible someone to post a guide with all the files and all the commands will be needed to flash this firmware? i have read the guide but i have no clue what to do especially at the end where it says how to give the macs, is it a speciall way? please enlight us here:
Quote:
what are these commands? you mean i will give via ssh this command and then will ask me the mac? how i will eneter the mac? with ":" or with "-" between.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 6
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: