DD-WRT and Gigabit speeds - WRT1900ACS v1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
RandomJerk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 0:39    Post subject: DD-WRT and Gigabit speeds - WRT1900ACS v1 Reply with quote
Hi. I have a WRT1900ACS v1 and a connection rated 750M Down/850M Up. Installed DDWRT(tried both Kong 30700 build and the latest BS build).

I'm not able to verify the wired speeds accurately, as I have only a laptop whose Ethernet controller is capped at 100 Mbps. I get wireless speeds of about 350 Mbps on 5 GHz, and never have seen speeds close to the advertised ones. I don't doubt the speeds from the ISP(Fios), as they consistency exceed their speeds.

Is there something in terms of configuration/settings(ex:overclocking the CPU) that I could do to improve connection speeds? I have a specific network configuration which includes 3 VLANs setup and other startup commands running with a specific configuration, my whole setup doesn't seem to be the issue either. I did do multiple 'erase nvram's and see the same speeds with stock settings too.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks
Sponsor
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 350 mbs is impressive wan-lan bandwidth throughput for 5ghz ac 80 mhz if you have 2 antennas typical client.
You can have more on 1gb wired connection as users reported here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308987&start=15
RandomJerk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:20    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT and Gigabit speeds - WRT1900ACS v1 Reply with quote
d0ug wrote:
RandomJerk wrote:
Hi. I have a WRT1900ACS v1 and a connection rated 750M Down/850M Up. Installed DDWRT(tried both Kong 30700 build and the latest BS build).

I'm not able to verify the wired speeds accurately, as I have only a laptop whose Ethernet controller is capped at 100 Mbps. I get wireless speeds of about 350 Mbps on 5 GHz, and never have seen speeds close to the advertised ones. I don't doubt the speeds from the ISP(Fios), as they consistency exceed their speeds.

Is there something in terms of configuration/settings(ex:overclocking the CPU) that I could do to improve connection speeds? I have a specific network configuration which includes 3 VLANs setup and other startup commands running with a specific configuration, my whole setup doesn't seem to be the issue either. I did do multiple 'erase nvram's and see the same speeds with stock settings too.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

There was a similar thread to this last week. In the end, yes this router does have gigabit eithernet ports on the physical ethernet interfaces. However it is unable to route more than a couple hundred mbps between the LAN and WAN. Pretty much a bottleneck of the NAT routing in software. Youre probably not going to find much better in the SOHO router market since these linksys routers already have pretty beefy CPUs for this market. You are probably going to need something enterprise rated do to the kind of speeds you are trying to get.

That said you should still be able to get near gigabit speeds between wired ethernet PCs on the LAN side of the router, since that is all going though the switch ASIC, and not touching the software routing side of things

Thanks for the response. So, is the NAT Routing in software part of the chipset driver? If not, wouldn't DD-WRT or a third party firmware fix it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: