On Networks N150R (aka Netgear WNR612) supported?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
PushBack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Screwed around with this thing for a few hours again today after going through all of this stuff with a fine-tooth comb looking for some flaw in my method, but there was none.

I still cannot get this to function with tftp2, which continually errors-out with the message unable to connect with the server.

What I think: The problem appears to be that the router's time window needed for tftp2 to work is exceeded, but how to judge this is unclear, as the instructions for this in the Netgear page are for another router with different indicators.

If anyone can give me some tips on this, I'd be grateful.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but can this firmware be installed from the other .bin file (rather than the .iso one) via the "Firmware Upgrade" process in the OnNetworks router's GUI? This would seem to be the obvious way to do this if it was remotely possible, so I'm assuming there's a problem with it.

Thanks for any tips. I'm getting weary with this. Still haven't bricked the thing, though, which is something.
Sponsor
xunil76
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey guys, i just bought one of these to use as a wireless AP at my mom's place (because i read that it supported DD-WRT, and because it was really, really inexpensive). the one i bought came with v1.0.0.3_1.0.5 of the On Networks firmware.

i wanted to report that after a LOT of trouble, i finally achieved success in getting DD-WRT installed on it.

here's the steps i used to get there, hopefully it will help a lot of people out there, as i was not able to find much else on this router besides this thread, at least in terms of getting DD-WRT installed on it:

1) download the firmwares.zip file that onix posted Mon Jul 04, 2016 17:10 (which he copied/pasted from a Newegg.com review posted by Newegg reviewer Eric R. 6/14/2016 3:36:56 PM), then unzip it to your desktop or some other location that is easy for you to find the contents: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36071421/firmwares.zip

2) with some minor exceptions (noted in red below), follow the directions in this Newegg U.K. post; i've copied/pasted it here for posterity:

Quote:
Here is how I flashed it to Netgear wnr612v2 firmware. It is not easy or smooth. Follow these instructions at your own risk of bricking the router. I did this in Win 7.
IGNORE THIS, WE WANT DD-WRT, NOT THE NETGEAR FIRMWARE: 1. Google wnr612v2, go to the first link (Netgear's site) and download the latest firmware.
2. Install TFTP client. I used the built in Windows one (Go to start --> type "Turn Windows Features on or off" --> click the check box next to "TFTP client"). Alternatively you can Google and download tftp2 client. If you use the latter, make sure to leave the password field blank.
3. Make sure the only connection on the router is from one of the two LAN ports to the computer.
4. Set the computer to have a static IP of 192.168.1.2, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1. If you don't know how to do that, you really shouldn't be trying to flash the router.
5. Open two command prompt windows. (I'm not sure if they have to be elevated, as I always disable UAC).
6. On one window, type: "ping -t -w 2 192.168.1.1" and hit enter. This will continually ping the router. Keep this window on the side.
7. In the other command prompt, navigate to where you extracted the firmware's zip, and type (but don't hit enter yet): DON'T USE THE UNDERLINED TEXT HERE: tftp -i 192.168.1.1 wnr612v2-V1.0.0.3_1.0.2.img ENTER THIS INSTEAD: tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put OnNetworksFactorytoDDwrt.img
8. Now for the tricky part. Use a paperclip to hold the reset button on the router for 10 seconds, then unplug the AC adapter to the router (while still holding the clip), wait 10 seconds, and plug the AC adapter back in. Continue to hold the reset button this entire time, while watching the ping window. Right when you see the ping start being successfully returned, hit enter in the tftp window, and you will hopefully successfully flash. (The tricky part was that you have to hold the reset button continuously, from the time that you power off the router until a few seconds AFTER the firmware has flashed)
9. After the firmware has flashed, wait a few seconds and release the reset button. Wait about a minute, then unplug the router. Wait 10 seconds, turn the router on. Finally do a hard reset (30-30-30 )-- hold reset continuously, wait 30 secs, unplug the router, wait 30 secs, plug in the router, wait 30 secs, and let go of the reset button. I would wait another 30 secs after that, and do a final power cycle.
10. Navigate to 192.168.1.1, login with admin/admin, and setup the router. Don't forget to undo your PC's static IP address that you set earlier.

Good luck!

like PushBack posted on Oct. 21, i think the tftp2.exe program is simply timing out before the connection can be established and the download started. i tried many, many times to flash it to DD-WRT using tftp2.exe, and every single time it would not be able to make a connection, even though i was able to ping the IP address of the router after each reset/reboot cycle. the windows 7 tftp firmware flash only failed twice, once because the "put" command was missing, and once because of a timeout where i probably jumped the gun a little on trying to start the file upload. on the 3rd windows tftp upload attempt, i waited until the router had received 16 replies from 192.168.1.1 before pressing "enter" to initiate the tftp transfer, and it worked without a hitch. the confirmation message i received was:

Transfer successful: 3469441 bytes in 7 second(s), 495634 bytes/s

hopefully this helps others get DD-WRT installed on their On Networks N150R so they won't have to go through all the trouble that i did.
PushBack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow.

Such rigmarole I've never seen to flash a simple device!

I haven't tried this latest set of instructions yet, but probably will.

What I still want to know, though, is why can't the web interface's "Upgrade Firmware" process simply be used with the .bin file and eliminate all this tsuris?

I've gotten the impression that the tftp2 program was for recovering bricked or semi-bricked systems that weren't able to interface with their native flash provision.

Yes? No?
PushBack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, does the power LED come on after successfully doing this flash? Someone mentioned that with the DD-WRT firmware the power LED no longer worked on this unit. Was that the case with yours?

Thanks!
PushBack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, first, the above instructions do not work. The holding the reset button down during the reflash business will crash the process and freeze the reflash stone dead. I thought I bricked this thing following the above instructions, but managed to save it and got it to go through a fairly normal process. I think the trick is to start the reflash with the reset down and promptly let it go, and have enough retries opted-in so that it will eventually luck into a connection. That's what apparently happened with mine after it tried eight times.

I would not want to go through this nonsense twice!

Also, there is indeed a bug in this that kills the power LED after successfully powering-up. In that the other lights being on would adequately indicate power, I don't guess this is a critical issue if it doesn't have any other other unintended consequences, but it is a bug that should be addressed.

[Later:] It may be a function of the device to shut off the power-up LED after the successful boot-up.

Last edited by PushBack on Mon Dec 26, 2016 21:26; edited 1 time in total
PushBack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, another minor point...someone mentioned that these only had 8M of memory.

Judging from the info in the "Status" menu, they have 32M.
jgrono
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure why anyone is having problems, this took DD-WRT the first time I tried. This was also the first time I ever tried putting DD-WRT on ANY router.

Before you start, try to telnet just to login and see if you have the right IP and password before you even try to tftp it. If you can't telnet it and login, you need to figure that out before you proceed.

I followed the first set of instructions that outline the 3 firmware options, while following the DD-WRT route. It worked the first time, and has worked that way every time since I have flashed more of these routers.

While messing around with scripts and configurations, I have bricked a few of these multiple times and was always able to recover. I think I followed recovery mode instructions for the Netgear version posted somewhere on a wiki here.

I also confirm that they have 32 MB of memory.

I have them set up as WDS APs and WDS Stations on DD-WRT v3.0-r29837 std (06/06/16). Stable as a rock.

If you understand the other sets of instructions, this should make sense.

Turn off router for 10 seconds

Hold down reset button

Power on router while still holding down reset button

Power button will blink intermittently. Wait until the power button blinks in a steady pattern for at least ten blinks

Run tftp2.exe

Server: 192.168.1.1

Password: admin

File OnNetworksfactorytoddwrt.img

Click “Upgrade” on tftp2.exe

It will then say “Firmware was upgraded successfully!”

Wait 5 minutes until wireless light stays lit to let the router finish storing firmware to flash memory

Restart router

Connect via 192.168.1.1
SincerelyInsane
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 22:45    Post subject: Connectivity Reply with quote
It took a bit of trial and error but I managed to get DD-WRT to download thanks to jgrono's post.

As of late though I am having issues with putting the router in bridge mode as the internet cuts off after a bit and is preventing my computer from downloading from the internet. For instance if I am listening to music online it will cut off the internet after a bit. Any thoughts to why this is?

Thanks, SincerelyInsane
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 16:27    Post subject: Firmware isn't a great fit for this router Reply with quote
I experimented with loading the DD-WRT firmware for the Netgear WNR2000v3 into this router, but was disappointed with the results. First of all, recent firmware did not work; I had to go back to r29837 to get it to boot. Then, I discovered that the firmware was missing features that are even present in the "micro" versions for Linksys routers, including the ability to use PPTP for the WAN (a feature I need). I also discovered that the firmware could not be updated from the GUI. I therefore reluctantly flashed the router back to stock firmware.

The On Networks N150R is said to have the same hardware as the WNR612v2, which is quite a bit different from the WNR2000v3. Perhaps the developers could look into killing two birds with one stone and creating working firmware for both the WNR612v2 and the On Networks N150R? I'd be glad to donate a router that they could work with.
mrcrabs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm trying to reactivate an old N150r ... but I'm stuck...

Does anyone still have the file "OnNetworksfactorytoddwrt.img " ?

Thanks for reply...

Sincerely,
jgrono
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I doubt anyone is still following this, but I had to reflash one of these from factory and have some better instructions. It flashed the first time following the revised instructions below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K8sVuCrPt4

Follow the first part of this video until about 2:20 into the video. This is how to get the TFTP upgrade to take. Even the timing of the lights flashing signalling the router is ready for TFTP transfers is almost the same. You can follow the video just about real time to get your TFTP recovery mode.

jgrono wrote:

Turn off router for 10 seconds (Not this, follow the video, router should be plugged in and turned off.)

Hold down reset button (Just like the video.)

Power on router while still holding down reset button. (Just like in video.)

Power button will blink intermittently. Wait until the power button blinks in a steady pattern for at least ten blinks. (Just like in the video.)

Run tftp2.exe

Server: 192.168.1.1

Password: admin

File OnNetworksfactorytoddwrt.img

Click “Upgrade” on tftp2.exe

It will then say “Firmware was upgraded successfully!”

Wait 5 minutes until wireless light stays lit to let the router finish storing firmware to flash memory

Restart router

Connect via 192.168.1.1
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: